T:Slim or Ypso?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I had a pump appointment last week and I’m debating whether I want the T:Slim and Ypso pump. Whichever I choose will be paired with Dexcom G6. I'm in Germany, so NHS-specific restrictions don't apply.

I’m currently leaning toward the T:Slim, but I’ve got a few questions for people who have used either a T:Slim or Ypso pump:
  • What do you like and dislike about your pump?
  • What made you choose your pump?
  • What have you learned or experienced that you wish you’d known before choosing your pump?
  • Have you had any issues that have made you regret your pump choice?

Your best bet is to have a look at face book pages regarding each pump so you can see if any issues ie reliability.
Just because XY or Z likes their particular pump doesn't mean you will like it, so do your own research and see which pump suits your needs.

Your best bet is to have a look at face book pages regarding each pump so you can see if any issues ie reliability.
Just because XY or Z likes their particular pump doesn't mean you will like it, so do your own research and see which pump suits your needs.
Thanks. I'm definitely doing my own research, but I'm curious what made people choose one pump over another.

The Ypso pump doesn't seem to have as many users since it's newer than the T:Slim, but I've seen some people mention it here in past posts (as a choice they were offered - I'm not sure how many actually took it up) and I was hoping to get some idea of what made them choose the Ypso pump and how they like it.

I’m currently leaning toward the T:Slim, but I’ve got a few questions for people who have used either a T:Slim or Ypso pump:
On balance even though there are a few inevitable niggles, the combination of Dex and tSlim is the best combination of tech I’ve used. My results are better than they have ever been.

It seems for me that Dex is laggier than Medtronic sensors, and the tSlim algorithm isn’t as quick or determined when trying to avoid hypos, so I have to work harder to avoid dips under 4.

Filling the reservoir is a bit fiddly, but fine when you get used to it.
The size and look of it played a big part. Plus the hybrid closed loop of Control IQ, and the ability to update pump software during the life of the pump (which I have already done twice)
  • What have you learned or experienced that you wish you’d known before choosing your pump?
The screen isn’t particularly east to read in sunlight. Especially when approaching low BG (when the BG reading is red on black - the very least legible colour combination)
None.

I had a pump appointment last week and I’m debating whether I want the T:Slim and Ypso pump. Whichever I choose will be paired with Dexcom G6. I'm in Germany, so NHS-specific restrictions don't apply.

I don't have a pump yet, but have an appointment to see my NHS pump team (fingers crossed!), so have been looking at information on pumps-- and hybrid closed-loop systems ...

You don't say whether you are thinking of using a hybrid closed-loop system. If you are, of course that needs to be factored in to your choice of pump. From the independent comparisons I've looked at-- comparing CamAPS to Control-IQ and Smart Guard-- CamAPS FX seems to be the best HCL; it's compatible with Ypso pump (and with the Dexcom G6 CGM) but not compatible with T:Slim.

Currently, phone compatibility is a problem with CamAPS-- only works with Android phones; but, late last year, they said they would be introducing an iOS version 'in the second half of 2023'.

Anyway, I'll be very interested to see what people say about their pump choices, and to see what you eventually choose!

Thanks @everydayupsanddowns. That's all really helpful info. I like the idea of software updates and Control IQ sounds really good. The Ypso pump's pre-filled or self-filled glass cartridges are enticing (as is the adjustable target BG), but t:slim seems to have many more pluses for me.

@Spathiphyllum - CamAPS does look good, but besides the fixed target BG in Control IQ, I don't think there are many down sides to t:slim for me. I'd rather keep all the pump tech on the pump, so I'm not interested in apps for remote bolusing or other features at the moment. For that reason, t:slim gets one point from me for lots of info on the screen, and Ypso gets minus one point for not much info on the pump screen, and needing a separate device to see detailed data. Ypso's remote bolusing feature (available in Germany, I'm not sure if it's been released in the UK yet) doesn't interest me, but I can understand why that would be a major factor for some. I'll be linking my t:slim with Dexcom G6.

I've just sent off an email to the diabetes clinic with my choice of the t:slim. They seem to think I could get the t:slim and Dexcom G6 in the next month or two!

Thanks for your help!

Hi Finn i will start by saying that i have a ypsomed pump since June last year and am very happy with it after having had animas medtronic and omnipod over the years , i short list the same as you ypsomed or T: slim but what i did not like about the T:slim is the size and the long palaver of filling and changing the insulin cartridge and at the time they did not be using the libre sensor to loop ,the ypsomed pump is very quick to change the prefilled cartridges or fill your own also you can fill many cartridges at a time and keep them ready in the fridge which you can not do on the T:slim,Also i get no air bubbles that where a pain with the medtronic ,the t;slim does have 3ml cartridge were ypsomed is 1.6 which last for me 4 to 5 days but if you use alot more the t:slim would be better ,The main difference of ypsomed to other pumps is the settings is all icon settings and control and the small size and weight 83 grams complete ,i do not have closed loop yet but i have been told it is coming changes take a little longer here in france , i know this letter is biased to the ypsomed but is the best pump i have had since i started on pumps years ago i am 75 and have managed with the new tec so any one can i hope this has been some help good luck with your choice .

Thanks, @Matchless.

The pre-filled and self-filled glass cartridges were definitely a pro on my list for Ypso pump, but ultimately I decided the T:Slim will be my pump of choice this time around.

Looping is possible with Ypso and G6 here in Germany, so hopefully it becomes available for you in France soon. T:Slim can be looped with the Dexcom G6 here now and eventually also with the G7 (they seemed to suggest maybe sometime later this year), so that was a pro on my list for the T:Slim.

I knew I couldn't go wrong with either pump - they both look like they're great and have a lot of happy users. But the T:Slim had more pros on my list, so I've chosen that and I'm really excited.

I have used the tslim with Dexcom G6 since last summer. I initially found filling the cartridges a bit of a faff, especially as I only use about 130 units in the 3 day life of them, but I am relatively comfortable with the process now.

What I do find annoying is the failure of the closed loop system to adjust my basal in anywhere near enough time to stop me slipping into what can be quite serious hypo territory.
I now have my low alarm set at the highest allowable setting, but even that is occasionally insufficient so my immediate action when the sensor alerts me is to take 10g fast acting plus 15g slower acting to ensure I don’t get seriously low. (Which means I am eating far more calories than I would wish!)
I appreciate I do need to do some more basal testing but it is an element of the closed loop arrangement that I find disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back