syncope

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby6162

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this year and although the medication i was prescribed seemed to be helping [5 metformin tablets a day] i am still feeling dizzy and blacking out for no apparent reason. went to my local hospital last week and was advised that i also suffer from syncope. has anyone else suffered the same symptoms?
just looking for a bit of reassurance really as i went to my diabetic centre yesterday and felt that they didnt believe me

I've been suffering from dizzy spells ever since my diagnosis almost a year ago. I also have serious tinnitus though so the PTBs have more or less settled on Meniere's Disease. Thing is there's no apparent reason for the attacks, they don't happen at specific times or when I'm doing certain things. They hit me at all sorts of times and absolutely anywhere, and I've been known to keel over with no notice. I don't lose conciousness (I think) but can't stop it happening, I know I'm going down but can't do a thing to prevent it. Syncope hasn't even been mentioned. Hmm, I just Wiki'd syncope and it mentions tinnitus as a possible side-effect, interesting especially as I do suffer from hypotension and occasional hypoglycaemia.

Last edited:
Have you spoken to your GP? Perhaps he or she can help. I hope you get things sorted and something cam be done to help you.

Hi toby,
There are many reasons for syncope.

If they haven't told you why that they think it is happening it seems a bit remiss of them. Medications, blood pressure etc. are all included as to possible reasons why.

Here is an article about syncope and tests that can be done,

http://www.medicinenet.com/fainting/article.htm

well i did get an explanation from one department at a hospital in newcastle but when i tried to explain what had happened to medical staff at the diabetes centre in the same city either i didn't make myself clear or they thought i was trying to fob them off..felt very patronised by their attitude and not sure whether i can really trust what they said to me but they are the experts, i'm just a nobody

just an update to this post. am now undergoing tests for autonomic neuropathy at my local hospital, which may give an explanation to the blackouts i've been experiencing..all of this is not helping my mental state and i am currently undergoing an extended period of severe depression.
now on 5 500 mg metformin tablets a day plus 4 80 mg gliclazide tablets a day..
has anyone else experienced any similar symptoms..would welcome any feedback.
many thanks

Just a suggestion, look at the patient information leaflets tha come withthe medication. Sometimes they can give a pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back