Swollen toes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuvart

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just a quick question,
today my big toe on one foot and big toe and the one next to it on the other foot swelled up and has become really painful to put any pressure on them, should I go to the docs tomorrow or leave it?
I'm on my feet all day at work and wear steel toe caps, so no bumps or owt on them, my last set of bloods came back normal for all the usual things(liver, kidneys, thyroid, b12 etc) so I'm wondering if its gout or just my neuropathy playing hob.
Any advice welcome.

Call the doctor and get it checked out.

Have your feet been cold as it could be chilblains. Best to get it checked out though.
Yeah my feet get cold, even with thick socks, so might be chilblains but it came on this afternoon so who knows. It seems going to the docs is best, oh well time for the massive phone wait to get through in the morning.

Well an update, got to see the doc and its some form of arthritis gout or rumatoid maybe both(he reckons), had a set of bloods taken and have to go back next Friday for a follow up.

Well an update, got to see the doc and its some form of arthritis gout or rumatoid maybe both(he reckons), had a set of bloods taken and have to go back next Friday for a follow up.
I'm glad you got them checked out. Fingers crossed you get a confirmed diagnosis and treatment quickly.

If it’s gout then it’s possibly another dietary tweak to sort that out but get the confirmed diagnosis and go from there.

Thank you all, ill post an update after my next appointment. Oh hes given me some naproxen which has started to reduced the swelling already.

When’s your next appointment and how long does the GP think you’ll be taking the naproxen for?

Thank you all, ill post an update after my next appointment. Oh hes given me some naproxen which has started to reduced the swelling already.
Usually when naproxen is prescribed you are also prescribed omeprazole to protect the stomach as naproxen can cause irritation.

When’s your next appointment and how long does the GP think you’ll be taking the naproxen for?
Next appointment is Friday next week after the bloods come back and the naproxen is as and when I need swelling reduction/pain killer but no more than 2 a day. hes given me 4 weeks worth at that dose .
@Leadinglights no other meds just the naproxen, I've got a resiliant gut (never had any problems with metformin or ant other nasid's).

Next appointment is Friday next week after the bloods come back and the naproxen is as and when I need swelling reduction/pain killer but no more than 2 a day. hes given me 4 weeks worth at that dose .
@Leadinglights no other meds just the naproxen, I've got a resiliant gut (never had any problems with metformin or ant other nasid's).
When I was on Naproxen long term, I was prescribed Omeperozle too! Not on either any longer.

I wasn’t given omeprazole with my naproxen either, so maybe that’s just given for long term use. Mine is as and when needed, up to 2 pills twice a day. I always take 2 pills in the morning but only about half the time in the evening.

Ok so an update..... it was a flare up of osteoarthritis (which I didn't know I had) and this week had a bad case of balance loss which he reckons was due to my neuropathy playing up, and a preliminary diagnosis of raynalds as well. On the plus side my hba has dropped to 52 from 54 in a month and all the other bloods are fine, oh well it never rains but it pours.

I wasn’t given omeprazole with my naproxen either, so maybe that’s just given for long term use. Mine is as and when needed, up to 2 pills twice a day. I always take 2 pills in the morning but only about half the time in the evening.
Just thinking: the omeprazole says on the box: take when taking the naproxen. It maybe that the other meds you take have a protective effect on the stomach so nothing additional needed.

Just thinking: the omeprazole says on the box: take when taking the naproxen. It maybe that the other meds you take have a protective effect on the stomach so nothing additional needed.
The naproxen is the first thing I try after paracetamol so at the point I need naproxen I’d only have taken insulin, paracetamol and then naproxen. I wouldn’t have taken the other meds unless the naproxen doesn’t work, with the exception of propanalol and amitryptaline which I take as preventatives.

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone finding it via a search, I found this site and its pretty good
I realise the OP didn't have gout in the end, but below is still of interest p'raps.

Seems diabetes can cause body to not get rid of uric acid so well, hence making gout more probable

Also interesting is that only 15% of uric acid comes from purines in food, the rest is genetics (I blame my dad for that - and my love of beer etc) so whist low purine diet will help, it might not at all be the silver bullet you think it is,

and also that they consider trying to not eat all the things on some gout lists will drive you mad 🙂
They should try that gout list plus the diabetes restrictions plus Oral Allergy syndrome OAS :rofl:

So I am V. V. V. happy to find out that I dont have to stop eating all the foods on the gout list, since my Venn diagram would otherwise have a tiny intersection of foods I should eat (pretty much sawdust and water :rofl:)
I know, I know - just eat less is normally ok for my limited type 2, I was just joking above.

But I should have kept taking the allopurinol tablets after the pain got better, as I was told 😳
Me mum told me 'told you so' - still annoys me even at this age :D

Mind you, X-rays look to my layman's eyes like the big toe bones are still OK, so fingers crossed 🙂
Bloody hurts tho!

The plus side of finding out that you have manageable things wrong with you is that you can generally put them right

Me mum told me 'told you so' - still annoys me even at this age :D

I've concluded it comes with that job. As currently a great grandma to 4 little-ish ones, even though I have never been pregnant in my life so their grannies are my step daughters, and half of thei kids were children by then - I've already gone through this saga twice before.

It may be better not to ask me what I think about anything, unless you truly want to know - cos I can be very blunt indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back