Switching insulins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einstein

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Due to some issues with dexterity in using NovoPen 4's my consulant and DSN yesterday suggested I look to switching insulins to enable me to access a wider range of pens to make injecting easier.

Currently I'm on Levemir and NovoRapid, the proposal is to switch to Lantus and Humalog.

In the past I had experience of Lantus, and switched to a twice daily shot of Levemir, so I am unsure of the wisdom of this decision.

Both seemed to think there was nothing much involved in the switch, I was just wondering how many people are on Humalog and how you get along with it?

In addition has anyone else done the switch from Levemir and NovoRapid any suggestions or advice?

Many thanks in advance.

I am currently on Humalog via a pump, So it's the only insulin I now have.
But in the past I have switched between insulins of various types without any problems at all, with the instructions of the DSN of course.

I am currently on Humalog via a pump, So it's the only insulin I now have.
But in the past I have switched between insulins of various types without any problems at all, with the instructions of the DSN of course.

Thanks Velcrohead, interesting, I didn't know humalog was able to be used in a pump.. It's one option being discussed. But I'd prefer to stay with MDI, control isn't my issue, dexterity is more of a problem with me.

I always work with my consultant and her nurse(s) I've learnt they know their stuff and there is always a reason why they say to do something.

I'll cut the corners once I know the proper way works, then I can back up and correct my ways if things go wrong.

I don't like the humalog pens particulary the disposable ones, and find the luxura cartridge one very heavy.
You can use the lantus and humalog in an autopen 24, which is spring loaded so you don't have to push down like the other pens, which might be more sutible.

Your DSN should have plenty of demo pens filled with saline so you can try them out and see which you like the feel of.

I don't like the humalog pens particulary the disposable ones, and find the luxura cartridge one very heavy.
You can use the lantus and humalog in an autopen 24, which is spring loaded so you don't have to push down like the other pens, which might be more sutible.

Your DSN should have plenty of demo pens filled with saline so you can try them out and see which you like the feel of.

Thanks Nikki, I think it's the autopen 24 or similar that they are planning on letting me take a look at.

The NovoPen 4 was much easier to use than the NovoPen 3, but I'd managed to bend needles as at times I'm needing to use both hands to inject.

I'm in on the 5th Jan to see the DSN with her toy collection :D

Hi David,

Alex was on Novorapid on MDI - but has moved to humalog on the pump - we havent noticed any difference at all. I was hesitant to change at the same time as changing to the pump as there were too many variables - but I was assured that we wouldnt notice the difference and they were right!🙂Bev

I've used Humalog for my entire MDI career, and found it fine - but that's not much help as you want to know the comparison. I don't like the heavy metal Luxura pen, so I only use it in the kitchen - the pen that travels with me is an older plastic pen, and I'll be really upset when it becomes too decrepit to use, as it's light, quiet and easy to use. I ensure that any pen I carry can cope with both of the insulins I use (Humalin I and Humalog). For dexterity problems, an automatic injection device might be better than having to press down - as long as the "shock" of the needle meeting your skin doesn't cause you to release your grip.
Any long acting insulin can be used as one or two injections per 24 hrs, so you could use Lantus at the same times as Levemir - or adapt as suits you.
Hope you and the DSN enjoy your playtime next week🙂

I've used Humalog for my entire MDI career, and found it fine - but that's not much help as you want to know the comparison. I don't like the heavy metal Luxura pen, so I only use it in the kitchen - the pen that travels with me is an older plastic pen, and I'll be really upset when it becomes too decrepit to use, as it's light, quiet and easy to use. I ensure that any pen I carry can cope with both of the insulins I use (Humalin I and Humalog). For dexterity problems, an automatic injection device might be better than having to press down - as long as the "shock" of the needle meeting your skin doesn't cause you to release your grip.
Any long acting insulin can be used as one or two injections per 24 hrs, so you could use Lantus at the same times as Levemir - or adapt as suits you.
Hope you and the DSN enjoy your playtime next week🙂

I didn't realise these pens shoot the needle like a lancet as well!!! Not keen on that, I bruise easily enough as it is!

It's the Lantus I'm concerned about the most although there is a device (preloaded) for Levemir that I could try, but it is more the shape of a wind-up kitchen timer, so will be a pain to travel with. I'm also not a fan of disposable devices - a waste, never sure of the manufacturing quality and I like to dispose of my old cartridges with my sharps so someone can't get to that last bit of insulin and come to any harm...

I so wish I didn't have to change!

Thanks Velcrohead, interesting, I didn't know humalog was able to be used in a pump.. It's one option being discussed.

Yes, but its in a vial, not cartridge and has to be drawn up, which honestly can be quite fiddly. Not sure that would be easier for you to be honest if dexterity a problem. Not sure if there are pumps here yet that have pre drawn cartridges, but i know they are coming.

Thanks Velcrohead, interesting, I didn't know humalog was able to be used in a pump.. It's one option being discussed.

Yes, but its in a vial, not cartridge and has to be drawn up, which honestly can be quite fiddly. Not sure that would be easier for you to be honest if dexterity a problem. Not sure if there are pumps here yet that have pre drawn cartridges, but i know they are coming.

What capacity do they hold in terms of units? How many units a day does a pump use each day? Am I right in thinking it's the same as the combination of my basal/bolus today?

Hi David,

Alex's pump can hold 300 units - but he only uses roughly 27 units per day. This is his basal and bolus combined. I think (? ) his pump holds the most insulin per reservoir.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back