Switching Glargine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBZ5416

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My basal is Semglee which annoyingly isn't available with reusable pen. I really dislike the amount of plastic waste this generates as unlike Novo Nordisk, they have no recycling scheme. So looking to move to an alternative Glargine when my current supply runs out. I believe the main alternative brands are Lantus & Toujeo, so just curious if anyone has experience of switching from Semglee to one of these or vice-versa?

Was using lantus for long time before moving to pump, found it to be fine & only needed 1 injection each day.

I too used Lantus for most of my "injecting life" (I now pump) and had no issues.
However, I think things have moved on and there seems to be a downer on it because it doesn't last a full 24 hours and the profile is not completely flat.
If you are changing basal, would it be worth asking about Levemir or Tresiba? These use the same reusable pen as NovoRapid so you could get a half unit one. Tresiba is great if your basal needs are unchanging because it lasts much longer. In contrast, Levemir is great if you need a different basal for day time and night and often change it. For example, monthly hormones or exercise.

I stopped using Lantus after a few years on it because it only lasted about 16 hours and also peaked at injection +3 hours or +6 hours, causing hypos. I switched to Tresiba which I was much happier with, especially its flat profile. I’m now pumping.

I stopped using Lantus after a few years on it because it only lasted about 16 hours and also peaked at injection +3 hours or +6 hours, causing hypos. I switched to Tresiba which I was much happier with, especially its flat profile. I’m now pumping.

Interesting @Bloden never had that peak causing hypos, funny how things work so differently for us all.

Interesting @Bloden never had that peak causing hypos, funny how things work so differently for us all.
Yeah, really interesting. I’d take my Lantus at 10pm, and have a low/hypo at 1am or 4am. It was a right pain. Glad to read that lots of people didn’t have a problem with it!

Yeah, really interesting. I’d take my Lantus at 10pm, and have a low/hypo at 1am or 4am. It was a right pain. Glad to read that lots of people didn’t have a problem with it!

Thank goodness for pumps my friend, great to have so many basal rates to deal with bodies demands.

Thank goodness for pumps my friend, great to have so many basal rates to deal with bodies demands.
OMG yeah. I’ve got three very different rates now for overnight alone. I’m a happy pumper. 🙂

Sorry @RBZ5416 we seem to have hijacked your thread, oops. Good luck with the switch. 🙂

Another vote here for asking about Tresiba or Levemir - I didn't get on with Lantus at all.

I have been using Toujeo for many years now and I am very pleased. The effect lasta over 24 hours and is very flat. This is a real benefit during nights. I take one shot of Toujeo in the afternoon after testing different times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back