Switching from Novorapid to Trurapi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been informed by letter from my care team this morning that I have to switch from Novorapid to Trurapi with my next prescription, to save costs. Just wondering who else has received this letter and/or if anyone has tried Trurapi and have any experiences to share?

I understand that in theory I shouldn't have any issues as it should be very similar to Novorapid, being a biosimilar, but I am concerned after being on Novo for 20+ years.

This fills me with horror! It uses Sanofi pens (being a Sanofi product) which as far as I know, don’t have the facility of my current Novopen Echo to record the last dose. I reply on that so much for my 'Did I, didn’t I?' moments, I’d be lost without it.

This fills me with horror! It uses Sanofi pens (being a Sanofi product) which as far as I know, don’t have the facility of my current Novopen Echo to record the last dose. I reply on that so much for my 'Did I, didn’t I?' moments, I’d be lost without it.
That's something I hadn't thought of. I'm pretty sure there's advice that we shouldn't be switched in this way without consultation (because while these biosimilars will generally work the same, some people might not find that) you're right that there are other considerations.

I guess I was subconsciously assuming the cartridges would follow some kind of standard and so would be interchangeable. But of course they aren't, because of capitalism. I'm sure there are smart replacement caps for Sanofi pens but probably it's not quite the same.

(Also I'm still using disposable pens. Mostly laziness, but partly I think I have memories of a glass and metal syringe and that put me off. But I did ask to change (on Monday).)

That's something I hadn't thought of. I'm pretty sure there's advice that we shouldn't be switched in this way without consultation (because while these biosimilars will generally work the same, some people might not find that) you're right that there are other considerations.

I guess I was subconsciously assuming the cartridges would follow some kind of standard and so would be interchangeable. But of course they aren't, because of capitalism. I'm sure there are smart replacement caps for Sanofi pens but probably it's not quite the same.

(Also I'm still using disposable pens. Mostly laziness, but partly I think I have memories of a glass and metal syringe and that put me off. But I did ask to change (on Monday).)
You won't regret changing to reuseable pens.... at least not the Novopen Echo which is really nice quality and like @Robin I would be lost without the last dose feature as I inject so automatically.

@Kel3 I was under the impression that they couldn't change our brand of insulin without discussion/consultation because of slight variations in how some people respond. I have seen this money saving brand swapping with test strips and lancets but not with insulin as yet. I hope you get on well with the new insulin. I hadn't heard of Trurapi at all, so please let us know how you find it. Are you pumping or on MDI and if MDI and it is cartridges, you will need a new pen (plus a spare in case of breakage) to dispense it which rather takes some of the savings out of the swap I would have thought.... Reusable pens are not cheap.

You won't regret changing to reuseable pens.... at least not the Novopen Echo
Mine will be Novopen 6, for what it's worth. Perhaps I'll try the Novopen Echo Plus Plus after the 4-5 year lifetime of the Novopen 6s, presuming I don't get a pump by then (which seems sadly quite likely).

But returning to the original question. Personally I wouldn't be too worried by the switch: give it a go.

But certainly complain if it really isn't working as well as Novorapid for you (whether you think it's the insulin or the pens). I presume they're expecting most people to be OK (so they'll save a bit of money) but I'm sure they'll expect to have to keep some people on Novorapid.

I have no experience of Trurapi but have tried a few different fast acting insulins to see which suits me best over the last 3 or 4 years. My DSN is happy to give me a vial to try one out (with my pump). I do not need a consultation appointment - I just give it a go and feedback my experience.
If Trurapi is supposed to be biosimilar to NovoRapid, I would be happy to give it a go, keep an extra close eye on my levels (which is easy if you have a Libre) and report back if it doesn't suit.
If it worked the same for me, I would more than happy to help the cash-strapped NHS some money and wouldn't want to waste money just because it's different to what I have done in the past.
As it is, I use Fiasp now which has no biosimilar because the patent is still valid.

I've actully never heard of this insullin

I’d certainly resist a change, I just googled the Timesulin pen cap, which you can fit to some pens to tell you when you last injected, and they only do one for the disposable Sanofi pens. That would mean using a disposable pen, with all the extra plastic waste, AND the disposables only come in whole units, and I need a half unit pen (I used a Junior star when I was on Lantus). They also cost £20 online, and state that they only last one year. That would eat into any savings made by switching insulin.
I've actully never heard of this insullin
It’s a biosimilar insulin that’s been brought out by Sanofi, to rival Novorapid (made by their rivals, NovoNordisk) and undercut the price.

It’s a biosimilar insulin that’s been brought out by Sanofi, to rival Novorapid (made by their rivals, NovoNordisk) and undercut the price.
Oh interesting. Well if they want to compete with novoNordisk they should make a pen which records the last dose.

I've been informed by letter from my care team this morning that I have to switch from Novorapid to Trurapi with my next prescription, to save costs. Just wondering who else has received this letter and/or if anyone has tried Trurapi and have any experiences to share?

I understand that in theory I shouldn't have any issues as it should be very similar to Novorapid, being a biosimilar, but I am concerned after being on Novo for 20+ years.
Hi @Kel3

This is from Diabetes UK site on the use of biosimilar insulins

Key points​

• The decision of which insulin is most appropriate should always be made jointly between the person with diabetes and their healthcare professional.
  • People who are already established on an insulin and well-controlled should continue with that treatment and not be made to change to a biosimilar
  • As with all insulins, biosimilar insulins should be prescribed by their trade name rather than the generic insulin name to ensure that the correct insulin is dispensed
  • If people with diabetes choose to switch to a biosimilar insulin, they should be encouraged and supported to monitor their blood glucose more closely to ensure that good control is achieved
This is the full page - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...ing-management-monitoring/biosimilar-insulins

Click on the position statement in the link to read more.

If you are getting on well with Novorapid and do not want to change then you do not have to. Ask your GP to prescribe Novorapid by name rather than generic insulin aspart. I had a biosimilar to Humalog dispensed from the pharmacy without any discussion, I spoke to my DSN and was told not to change as I'd used Humalog for a long time and was used to its action and how my body reacted to it.

Hi @Kel3

This is from Diabetes UK site on the use of biosimilar insulins

Key points​

• The decision of which insulin is most appropriate should always be made jointly between the person with diabetes and their healthcare professional.
  • People who are already established on an insulin and well-controlled should continue with that treatment and not be made to change to a biosimilar
  • As with all insulins, biosimilar insulins should be prescribed by their trade name rather than the generic insulin name to ensure that the correct insulin is dispensed
  • If people with diabetes choose to switch to a biosimilar insulin, they should be encouraged and supported to monitor their blood glucose more closely to ensure that good control is achieved
This is the full page - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...ing-management-monitoring/biosimilar-insulins

Click on the position statement in the link to read more.

If you are getting on well with Novorapid and do not want to change then you do not have to. Ask your GP to prescribe Novorapid by name rather than generic insulin aspart. I had a biosimilar to Humalog dispensed from the pharmacy without any discussion, I spoke to my DSN and was told not to change as I'd used Humalog for a long time and was used to its action and how my body reacted to it.
I hope they don't change me, I like having half units and somehow ended up with 3 novorapids reusables which i doubt they would take back ( the first seemed reasonable as a spare, not sure why i sended up being given 3....Had i realised i wouldnt have taken it from the pharmacy)

I hope they don't change me, I like having half units and somehow ended up with 3 novorapids reusables which i doubt they would take back ( the first seemed reasonable as a spare, not sure why i sended up being given 3....Had i realised i wouldnt have taken it from the pharmacy)
Think of this why you lose on or one breaks and you have to use your spare then you still got a spare.

Or, if cost of living keeps going up can set up a transatlantic business selling libres, novopens...

I'm sure there are smart replacement caps for Sanofi pens but probably it's not quite the same.

I’ve never found a smart replacement cap existing for reusable Sanofi pens. Happy to be proved wrong if someone is using one with the juniorstar pen though.

I’ve never found a smart replacement cap existing for reusable Sanofi pens. Happy to be proved wrong if someone is using one with the juniorstar pen though.
I had a good Google and couldn’t find anything (see my post above) the Timesulin only fits the disposable pens.

Hi I’m new to the forum.
I’m just back from holiday. My diabetic nurse gave me a letter to say I can’t go through the scanners as it will affect my libre sensor. This is confirmed in Abbots user notes. Airport staff said they have lots going through the scanners everyday.
I didn’t go through the scanner and the staff were all fine. I just had to have a detailed search instead.
Can sensors go through scanners?

Hi I’m new to the forum.
I’m just back from holiday. My diabetic nurse gave me a letter to say I can’t go through the scanners as it will affect my libre sensor. This is confirmed in Abbots user notes. Airport staff said they have lots going through the scanners everyday.
I didn’t go through the scanner and the staff were all fine. I just had to have a detailed search instead.
Can sensors go through scanners?
I went through with mine, last week, and it was fine. I pinged the metal detector at Gatwick and had to go into the body scanner, and the security person said they needed to look at my left arm, but as soon as I said 'Oh! is it my Libre?' she seemed to know all about them, and said, oh yes, that'll be it.
Welcome to the forum, by the way, This post might be better off in its own thread, so it doesn’t get buried amongst other topics, I wonder if one of the mods or admin @everydayupsanddowns or @Docb (can’t think of the others) could move it for you.

Last edited:
My Libre sensors have been through many airport sensors with no issues.
Pumps are more concerning and should not go through the full body scanners .. or at least they are not guaranteed.

Same! It does say to let my GP know if I use a pen with a memory function so am going to do that - not sure what they can do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back