Switch to Omnipod - should I stay or should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broomey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning all
I’m sure you can help please.
Saw a new consultant this week and within 2 minutes he was encouraging me to switch from injections to the closed loop system. He suggested Omnipod. Took me by surprise in all honesty and having since researched the same, I am now interested.
I have some reluctance to move away from levemir and Fiasp injections (which are working relatively well, HBA1c 60) with Libre but overall the benefits appear to outweigh any negative thoughts and nervousness I may have. It sounds so easy.
Can you share your experiences please? Apologies do what may seem daft questions!

- would I still have to inject levemir or does the pod take over all insulin? Would I need a lantus injection or does the bolus pump provide everything I will need?
- how bulky is the pod and dexcom compared to say the Libre?
- what are peoples preferred site and how close does the CGM need to be to the pod?
- does it work with Libre or would I need the dexcom?
- what problems/challenges have people had particularly in the immediate post-switch period?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

The pump provide both basal and bolus using only fast insulin @Broomey The basal dose drips in in tiny amounts continuously and to bolus you just count your carbs and add a bolus through the pump (this doesn’t affect the basal ‘drip’).

I don’t use Omnipod so can’t comment on bulk but it is too bulky for me so I use a tubed pump. Again, not sure about CGM but I think it uses Dexcom.

I’ve been pumping for more than 20 years. I suggest you do a little research prior to agreeing to any move from injections. It is a big decision and I took a while to make it.

Great news that you are being offered to try a new regime.

I use Omnipod dash (not Omnipod 5) but can say that I love it. You can order a dummy pod from insulet so that you can get an idea of the size and weight. I find it isn’t too bulky but is definitely bigger than the libre,

- you would not need to inject lantus/ levemir - the pump would take care of bolus and basal

- rotate between 8 sites, left and right: outside thigh, lower back, stomach, arms.

CGM needs to be on the same side of the body as the pod - so both on the front of your body or both on the back - many people find they actually don’t have issues with being on different sides of the body but I would imagine that a persons overall size comes into play.

The Omnipod 5 works with the dexcom
G6 and the libre 2+ (this is not the same as the libre 2 and is very new, some hospitals are rolling it out though)

I had no issues switching from mdi to Omnipod dash. I have read a lot about the transition to Omnipod 5 and the main things I have heard are that insulin to carb ratios needed to be stronger for many people. Also that it takes time for the pod/ algorhythm to “learn” your patterns.

I would recommend you listen to the juice box podcast which has 3 (I think) episodes focusing on the Omnipod 5 and is so informative.

I completely get that it is a big change and decision to make, I believe at many hospitals Omnipod does not tie you into a 4 year contract (you would need to check with you hospital) which gives some more flexibility.

I was mdi for 26 years before moving onto Omnipod last year, I needed to be “ready” to make the switch but I am so glad I did.

The pump provide both basal and bolus using only fast insulin @Broomey The basal dose drips in in tiny amounts continuously and to bolus you just count your carbs and add a bolus through the pump (this doesn’t affect the basal ‘drip’).

I don’t use Omnipod so can’t comment on bulk but it is too bulky for me so I use a tubed pump. Again, not sure about CGM but I think it uses Dexcom.

I’ve been pumping for more than 20 years. I suggest you do a little research prior to agreeing to any move from injections. It is a big decision and I took a while to make it.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply- helpful stuff thanks.

Great news that you are being offered to try a new regime.

I use Omnipod dash (not Omnipod 5) but can say that I love it. You can order a dummy pod from insulet so that you can get an idea of the size and weight. I find it isn’t too bulky but is definitely bigger than the libre,

- you would not need to inject lantus/ levemir - the pump would take care of bolus and basal

- rotate between 8 sites, left and right: outside thigh, lower back, stomach, arms.

CGM needs to be on the same side of the body as the pod - so both on the front of your body or both on the back - many people find they actually don’t have issues with being on different sides of the body but I would imagine that a persons overall size comes into play.

The Omnipod 5 works with the dexcom
G6 and the libre 2+ (this is not the same as the libre 2 and is very new, some hospitals are rolling it out though)

I had no issues switching from mdi to Omnipod dash. I have read a lot about the transition to Omnipod 5 and the main things I have heard are that insulin to carb ratios needed to be stronger for many people. Also that it takes time for the pod/ algorhythm to “learn” your patterns.

I would recommend you listen to the juice box podcast which has 3 (I think) episodes focusing on the Omnipod 5 and is so informative.

I completely get that it is a big change and decision to make, I believe at many hospitals Omnipod does not tie you into a 4 year contract (you would need to check with you hospital) which gives some more flexibility.

I was mdi for 26 years before moving onto Omnipod last year, I needed to be “ready” to make the switch but I am so glad I did.
Really useful info - I’ve downloaded the podcast and will have a listen at the gym in the morning. Many thanks

Changing from MDI to the Omnipod has been life changing for me in ways I never imagined.

I’m not closed loop and already the improvements in my quality of life are huge.

You can order a sample pod to stick on and test out, I suggest doing that.

I’ve never knocked one off even playing full contact rugby. I would jump for joy if offered closed loop.

Have a look in the pump section of the forum loads of posts on their from fellow users.

Use all sites but my lower back as it’s too skinny for me. I find arms best but there’s only one taken up with the libre and I don’t want them too close together.

No change over problems the set up day with Omnipod and the diabetes team at the hospital was great. As was the after care.
It was better for me within weeks.

Fiasp will run as your background insulin based on what you need. I know it’s different closer loop than manual so I can’t help with that. But your team will support you with this and others here do use the same system so please ask away with questions and someone will be able to help.

Keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back