Switch to Dexcom One

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarita84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all! I'm Type 1. Having self funded a trial on Dexcom One, my DSN requested my GP switch my prescription to it from Libre 2 when I saw her last week.

In anticipation of difficulty with my GP (it's like walking through treacle getting anything done with them) I requested that the prescription be a like for like swap, ie that I am able to order two months supply at a time, and that I have the facility to order the transmitter every three months, which is roughly the time it is supposed to last.

I've just had a call from my GP (more accurately, a receptionist) to say that they will prescribe the sensors but I need to self fund the transmitter. This despite her Google search showing that you can't in fact buy a transmitter on its own. She said "she's sure I'll be able to get one at a pharmacy." I argued against this being the case, and she agreed to speak to the in house pharmacist there, while I said I would speak to my DSN.

I'm not going mad, am I? The sensor and transmitters should all be part of this prescription, right? Without the transmitter, the sensors are useless!

Last edited:
I'm not going mad, am I? The sensor and transmitters should all be part of this prescription, right? Without the transmitter, the sensors are useless!
I think there's been confusion about how transmitters are provided (I think right now pharmacies are supposed to provide them), and I think it's been agreed that they'll be prescribed. But probably not yet.

I've just been told i've got dexcom g6...no talk of having to fund any bit, and as my phone doesn't work i got a receiver too

Currently discussing with my endo about Dexcom One, (and the others) and she did remark that surgeries/pharmacies are struggling a bit withe TWO replacement cycles. If they can't cope how the heck will we? :confused:

Hi all! I'm Type 1. Having self funded a trial on Dexcom One, my DSN requested my GP switch my prescription to it from Libre 2 when I saw her last week.

In anticipation of difficulty with my GP (it's like walking through treacle getting anything done with them) I requested that the prescription be a like for like swap, ie that I am able to order two months supply at a time, and that I have the facility to order the transmitter every three months, which is roughly the time it is supposed to last.

I've just had a call from my GP (more accurately, a receptionist) to say that they will prescribe the sensors but I need to self fund the transmitter. This despite her Google search showing that you can't in fact buy a transmitter on its own. She said "she's sure I'll be able to get one at a pharmacy." I argued against this being the case, and she agreed to speak to the in house pharmacist there, while I said I would speak to my DSN.

You're not going mad!
As revealed above there's clearly an admin problem. The lo-cost or no-cost replacement of Libre 2 by Dexcom One included the presumption of a complete package from Dexcom of sensors and transmitter.

However one confusion factor is the provision of Readers (Dexcom call these Receivers) for those using Dexcom One and with incompatible phones. Neither my local pharmacy, nor a Boots chemist some 40 miles away, could find a listing in the generic NHS Formulary for Dexcom receivers. I received my initial Libre 2 package with a suitable Reader; and recently, following Libre 2 difficulties, users have been receiving free Readers from Abbott. But currently Dexcom are seeking c.£60 for their Receivers, regardless of whether their sensor/transmitter packages are prescribed or self-funded. So the Dexcom One Receiver situation is not yet resolved - I think.

Thanks, everyone! It's the transmitter that they said I have to pay for - the bit that slots into the sensor and requires changing roughly every 90 days. I bought the receiver myself when I did the self-funded trial as the Dexcom One isn't compatible with my phone.

Waiting to hear back from my DSN - she was off yesterday - and so far radio silence from the GP.

I wanted to switch to Dexcom because I was fed up of faulty Libre 2 sensors and the admin headache that caused. Should have known this would cause an admin headache on a similar scale.

Hi, I started self-funding a DexCom 6 in 2019, using some inheritance funds and asked for a pump from the NHS at the end of last year. While the DSN completed the questionnaire for the pump (it’s been approved) she said I should be having the DexCom funded and requested this for me - also agreed. I receive the whole package direct from DexCom as before, but now paid for by NHS. I bought a refurbished iPhone compatable with the DexCom initially, so didn’t need a reader. So, it seems DexCom do have a direct arrangement with some NHS areas - worth contacting them maybe? Good luck.

I am in a similar situation, have been put on a trial for the Dexcom one and so a prescription was done but just for the sensors and not the transmitter.
When questioned with the GP was told that the pharmacy should just give me one!?! Or should have them available and that they wouldn’t do a prescription for me. Then talked to pharmacy, ‘no, that’s not right, why would we give a transmitter out without a prescription?’ You need to get it prescribed. Back to GP and was told to get the pharmacy to call them.

Sick of the back and forth and no one doing anything so waiting to see my care team to see if they can sort it as both pharmacy and GP not being helpful.

Have looked to see if I could buy one myself but that’s a no in the UK. Sensor and transmitter should definitely be prescribed together otherwise as you said, it’s useless.

Have attached what it says on the nhs page and what you should be prescribed when you get the dexcom one.

Attachments

• A0B1560B-57DA-4931-A74E-F266E386AEAF.jpeg
    A0B1560B-57DA-4931-A74E-F266E386AEAF.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back