Swimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mand

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi everyone.

Hope you are all well. We jogging along ok at the moment.

My son is having a problem with his cannula coming out when he goes swimming. The water/chlorine seems to lift the sticky surround and it falls out. :(

Does anyone know of a product to help with this? :confused:

What sets is he using? I use the Quick Set and haven't had a problem with that before. I did, however, get given some extra sticky tape to use if the cannula started to unstick before I was ready to change it - my DSN gave it to me. Can you get some and try that? Maybe use it to stick the cannula down before swimming, and replace it post swimming as needed?

Good luck!

Thanks Cate. I am going to ring his dsn tomorrow.

It fine when he takes a bath and sometimes it is ok when he swims. but a couple of times it has come out but it has been when he is jumping in and out of the water rather than just swimming up and down the pool.

Will keep you posted! 🙂

hi
Try a pair of speedos under his swim shorts then the canulas don't rub when they climb in and outot the pool.
Which pump is he on, if its the animas then he can wear it swimming and the cannula doesn't seem to catch as much.
Or the other thing we do is put the cannual in slightly higher so it doesn't Catch

Thanks Mel! 🙂

A pair of speedos under his swim shorts is an excellent idea! I will try to purchase some before we go if i can.

He is on the Medtronic Veo pump.

His dsn has given me some barrier cream, the doctor has given us some waterproof dressings designed for after op's so people can bath and Metronic have sent us some dressings that are used to cover the sensors that some people wear but could work for his quicksets.

We will take all three on hols with us and i will report back on here on our return with any helpful tips for others. 🙂

Hey stranger- hows tricks? 😉

Hope you are well Mand. I think the speedo's is an excellent idea! I dont have much to add to that, only to say "hello"!

*waves*!

Hi everyone

Well, we had a great holiday. We used the waterproof patches that Medtronic sent us that are actually for the sensors but they kept his sets in place. 🙂

Just wanted to re-assure anyone who is planning an overseas holiday:

My son's pump did not set off the alarm when going through security.

I carried his insulins in a frio pack and some needles (in case we needed to use pens if pump failed) and there were no problems. I went through security ok and was not asked any questions or asked to show the letter i was carrying from his dsn. 🙂

Unfortunately his bloods did run high, compared to at home, due to the pump being detached so many times for swimming. Will speak to his dsn re this. Perhaps there is a way round this?

Hope everyone is well.

Lou - I will pm you. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back