Swim 22 - Advice needed on how to avoid hypo during swimming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadandlad2023

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All

My son who is 9 is doing the swim 22 challenge with myself. All is going good apart from the other night when he had a hypo during swimming (only diagnosed T1 in November!)

For those swimming I am just wondering for guidance on what to feed them and how long before swimming? Should I give him a high carb meal about an hour before hand and take off 50% insulin? and then a snack bar before getting into the pool?!

Help needed please!

I reduce my bolus for the meal before I swim. I then test before I get in the pool, aiming to be around 9 or so. If I’m going to be swimming a lot, I also have a small sugary snack then too. I get out of the pool at regular intervals to test and top up with glucose tablets too if needed, and I generally try to keep my blood sugar no lower than 6 or 7 when I’m in the pool.

Experiment and you’ll find what works best for your son. I always eat exactly the same meal before swimming too as that removes one variable.

I reduce my bolus for the meal before I swim. I then test before I get in the pool, aiming to be around 9 or so. If I’m going to be swimming a lot, I also have a small sugary snack then too. I get out of the pool at regular intervals to test and top up with glucose tablets too if needed, and I generally try to keep my blood sugar no lower than 6 or 7 when I’m in the pool.

Experiment and you’ll find what works best for your son. I always eat exactly the same meal before swimming too as that removes one variable.
Thank you Inka!

I eat a banana before swimming, or I used to put a water bottle at the end of the lane with a mix of pure orange juice and water in it

It depends a bit which insulin he’s on and what his numbers are generally. If he’s on novorapid then the peak is an hour after injecting so we were advised by the dietitian that reducing meal bolus only really works if you’re exercising at that stage. Any later and we just go with a snack beforehand. We always aim for a level of around 10 for swimming.

I eat a banana before swimming, or I used to put a water bottle at the end of the lane with a mix of pure orange juice and water in it
I’ve seen a few people swimming who have lucozade at the end of the lane.

Hi All

My son who is 9 is doing the swim 22 challenge with myself. All is going good apart from the other night when he had a hypo during swimming (only diagnosed T1 in November!)

For those swimming I am just wondering for guidance on what to feed them and how long before swimming? Should I give him a high carb meal about an hour before hand and take off 50% insulin? and then a snack bar before getting into the pool?!

Help needed please!
It's tricky and always an individual strategy, based on trial and error.

For me, its safer doing vigorous exercise without any short acting insulin on board. So, in most cases this would be at least 4 hrs time since last bolus/meal.

I'd also consider a snack before exercising if in the afternoon or evening without any bolus insulin.

I have tried exercising after a meal and bolus but blood sugars go low, so don't do this anymore.

I would have a low carb higher protein meal like a 2-3 egg omlette with cheese and perhaps a bit of ham or chicken and plenty of salad with no bolus, 2 hours before swimming and then let the protein release keep my levels topped up whilst I was exercising, because protein starts to release about 2 hours after a low carb meal and then provides a steady stream of glucose for several hours.....
That is just how I would approach it. You have to find a way that works for your son but it is perhaps something else to consider trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back