Sweets

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all another newbie question
Does anyone eat sweets or honey, I wanted a Murray mint then panicked so didn't have one. Also I can't stand plain yogurt without honey , r these forever no no.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Honey is the natural equivalent to a spoonful of sugar. If you opt for sugar free sweets be careful many are sweetened with sweeteners that can have a laxative effect even after a few!

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all another newbie question
Does anyone eat sweets or honey, I wanted a Murray mint then panicked so didn't have one. Also I can't stand plain yogurt without honey , r these forever no no.
I always have a pack of sugar free humbugs in the larder but they have carbs in them too so I'll only have 2 or 3 a day at most.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Think Bassett's Murray mints are about 6g carbs per mint, if you are new do you know that it's total carbs you have to be aware of rather than just sugar? I only ask as many don't get told this and just get told to cut out sugary things xx

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As @Kaylz says it is all carbs that you eat that will be converted into glucose once inside you.
As someone with T2, your body does not have enough insulin to balance the glucose that you are making. By reducing the amount of carbs threaten there are many on here who manage their T2 without medication.

As for sweets, the Murray mint could be part of your total carb intake. My problem would be limiting myself to just one, once I start!!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As for sweets, the Murray mint could be part of your total carb intake. My problem would be limiting myself to just one, once I start!!
Murray mints are so moreish! Just thought could be a new low treatment, not for a hypo but sat 4's to bring me up a bit lol xx

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Murray mints are so moreish! Just thought could be a new low treatment, not for a hypo but sat 4's to bring me up a bit lol xx
I think I would spike, as I know it wouldn’t be just one!! At least with JBs they really are not pleasant so it is easy to limit them.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think I would spike, as I know it wouldn’t be just one!! At least with JBs they really are not pleasant so it is easy to limit them.
I can't stomach JB's after my stubborn hypo at Bruce's grans funeral and having to have well over 10 to get back up, even the smell makes me feel sick these days, I use lift glucose tabs and even they are rather nice! lol xx

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I like Sugar Free Polos when I fancy something minty. You can get them in packs of 4 very cheaply.

Just checked - they contain sorbitol and are just over 1g carbs per mint, so a tiny amount and not as moreish as some mints.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone eat sweets or honey,
They are not a forever a no no, but are best avoided if you can.
They do add to your daily carb count, but depending on how low this needs to be you can probably add in just one.
BUT for me the problem would be that I would find it difficult to stop at one.
I know it can be hard but I have found it best to try to stop snacking on sweet things and gradually the 'need' for these diminishes. - They say it takes 2 weeks to change a habit.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Personally I would avoid sugar free sweets because of the wind and/or laxative effect. For entertainment you can look at online reviews for ‘sugar free haribo’ where some people have really
been caught unawares with disastrous consequences!

One 6g Murray Mint would be likely to raise my BG by approx 2mmol/L so individually I think I would see that as OK every now and then. But it only has to turn into 2-3 and suddenly you are nearer 20g in carbs which is more like 6mmol/L which could easily put your BG well into double figures.

Alternatives to sweet snacking are worth seeking out. Nuts or seeds are a good nibble.

Don’t be tempted by dried fruit or honey as a sucrose substitute either - they’ll raise your BG gram-for-gram of carbs every bit as fast as table sugar.