Sweet tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeSugar :|

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So I was just wondering if it's alright to eat some chocolate on a daily basis I have quite a sweet tooth and normally I have a small chocolate bar after lunch and dinner it doesnt effect my sugar levels but was wondering if it's okay to do

I occasionally like some chocolate. I have some Lindt 90% Cocoa. 14gm per 100 gms, which is the whole bar. It satisfies the chocolate request without raising BG too much (unless you eat the whole bar). We prefer to let it "melt in the mouth" for the taste, without the sugar/glucose

We do have a100% chocolate block in the fridge but it's apparently more for grating into cooking recipes so haven't used/tasted much

That's the thing I'm not really a fan of dark chocolate haha but yeah I only normally have little fun size bars for flavour

That's the thing I'm not really a fan of dark chocolate haha but yeah I only normally have little fun size bars for flavour
If you like nuts then the Nature Valley high protein peanut and chocolate bars are 9.2g carb per 40g bar.
I usually cut them into 4 to have with a cuppa. But if you are on insulin then a whole one might be Ok.

So I was just wondering if it's alright to eat some chocolate on a daily basis I have quite a sweet tooth and normally I have a small chocolate bar after lunch and dinner it doesnt effect my sugar levels but was wondering if it's okay to do
As you have type 1 diabetes you can eat what you like as long as you carb count it and inject the correct amount of insulin.
If you want to eat sweets everyday and rot your teeth that's your choice 🙂

If you like nuts then the Nature Valley high protein peanut and chocolate bars are 9.2g carb per 40g bar.
I usually cut them into 4 to have with a cuppa. But if you are on insulin then a whole one might be Ok.
I always have a bag of kp nuts at hand haha I'll give those a try

As you have type 1 diabetes you can eat what you like as long as you carb count it and inject the correct amount of insulin.
If you want to eat sweets everyday and rot your teeth that's your choice 🙂
No sweets unless I'm on a low 🙂 but I do like my chocolate

I personally have a bar of chocolate everyday after dinner (or lunch depending where your from) whether it be a mint aero, peanut butter chunky kit kat, a wispa etc, I developed an eating disorder due to a member pushing low carb/no sugar etc and didn't eat anything like that for over 2 years, if you want to then that's perfectly fine, don't let anyone tell you any different as it's you that will suffer, not them xx

No sweets unless I'm on a low 🙂 but I do like my chocolate
So what do you think chocolate is if it isn't a sweet? All confectionary in my book is classed as sweets.

Bottom line is though, you enjoy what you eat and do not let anyone make you feel guilty for what you do or don't eat. Life is for living 🙂

You're Type 1 so eat what you like so long as you plan for it. And if your sugar levels are OK then your sugar levels are OK.

Good quality dark chocolate's a bit easier to deal with since it's less sugar and more fat, and (in my opinion) tends to be more satisfying to eat so you're less likely to splurge on it. Lots of places sell it nowadays. Aldi have quite nice individually wrapped bars.

(M&S used to do a dark selection box which I really liked. Used to have one a day with coffee. Sadly they seem to have stopped. They do a box of Belgian truffles which are reasonably priced and nice, but obviously all the same. Both those are about 5 or 10g each, I guess, (though I've not actually checked) so are quite likely negligible so long as you have just one after a meal.)

I personally have a bar of chocolate everyday after dinner (or lunch depending where your from) whether it be a mint aero, peanut butter chunky kit kat, a wispa etc, I developed an eating disorder due to a member pushing low carb/no sugar etc and didn't eat anything like that for over 2 years, if you want to then that's perfectly fine, don't let anyone tell you any different as it's you that will suffer, not them xx
I'm sorry to hear that and that's good to hear I was just wondering if I was eating too much but atleast other people do too xx

So what do you think chocolate is if it isn't a sweet? All confectionary in my book is classed as sweets.

Bottom line is though, you enjoy what you eat and do not let anyone make you feel guilty for what you do or don't eat. Life is for living 🙂
I guess it could be classed as a sweet and that's good to hear your not wrong 🙂

Chocoholic here :D As Sue says, you’re Type 1 so you can eat what you want within reason. I have some chocolate a number of times a week. I prefer milk chocolate too. I could happily eat chocolate all day. The only reason I don’t is for general health not because of the Type 1.

That's good then its just too good haha I dont eat it all day but i have it a couple times a day 🙂

Just to reiterate the comments above - there is no difference between a healthy diet for someone with Type 1 diabetes and a healthy diet for someone without diabetes.
Many people with type 2 chose to eat a low carb diet but, with Type 1, we have the tool (insulin) to allow us to eat as many carbs as we want in whatever form we want.

There are a few people on this forum with Type 1 (maybe LADA) who chose to eat a low carb diet. That is also fine with Type 1 ... as long as insulin is dosed appropriately for protein as well as carbs (which is too complex for me 🙄).

Hello, another type 1 with an immense sweet tooth walking in 😛

As long as we dose reasonably, then we can dessert whenever, as long as we don’t overdo it (AKA eating an entire cheesecake because that’s just too many units sadly :()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back