Sweet taste drives me bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJN123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Another semi-newbie question:
Do any of you have a permanent sweet taste in your mouth? I understand that this is common when blood glucose is high and uncontrolled, but now that I have been at fairly controlled levels at TiR of 90 and average readings of 6.5 (and latest HBa1C normal range) I would have expected it to normalise. I never liked sweet stuff to begin with so this drives me insane. Any advice at all? Could it be the tablets? I am on sitagliptin and metformin.

I've never has a sweet taste in the mouth...i was on metformin and glycaside before i got my t1 diagnosis...may be a t2 thing?

Not something i have heard anyone say was a symptom for them

Never had a sweet taste in my mouth, even when I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 83.

Metformin sometimes causes a metallic taste in the mouth for some?

Thanks for responses - for a minute I was worried as I thought that if it isn’t diabetes related it could be linked to my cancer (that would be a whooooole different level of bad).But I did a little digging around and there is quite a lot of evidence that diabetes as well as many diabetes medications can cause disturbances to the sweet taste receptors in some people. So guess I’ll just have to live with it and hope it improves or goes away over time.

FWIW, before diagnosis I had a constant metallic taste which was driving me bonkers.

I have or rather had a sweet tooth, but never the sweet taste. My mouth is constantly dry and feels like the bottom of a budgie cage with a bitter taste

Maybe
I have or rather had a sweet tooth, but never the sweet taste. My mouth is constantly dry and feels like the bottom of a budgie cage with a bitter taste
That sounds vile - I just feel like I am constantly sucking on one of those horrible coffee sweeters that were popular in the 80s. Still yuck, but guess it beats a budgie loo!

@Duane62 - prima facie evidence of dehydration.
I know and I’m my own worst enemy. My fluid intake has been extremely poor for many years. In fact, when I was married back in the 80’s, my ex wife said I’d have issues when older because of my poor fluid intake

I fully expect I'm old enough to be your grandma at least - so consider yourself told.
I should ......

I fully expect I'm old enough to be your grandma at least - so consider yourself told.
I should ......
I’m a 60’s kid don’t let the profile picture fool you and yes I’ve been told

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back