Sweet Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was interested to come across this charity today: http://sweetcharity.net/ - a charity to support confectionary workers. I can understand that people in all manner of industries may require support, but I was just a little surprised to find there was a charity for such a thing. Possibly to provide aid for diabetic workers involved in chocolate-related incidents in the workplace? Might be a poem in that! 🙂

"shakes her head"

It only started, this sweet charity, after so many people went on healthy eating plans and loads of people were diagnosed with diabetes.

there are many charirtys set up by industry that can be helpful when in need many years ago whilst i worked helping older people getting building works done to their properties i found out that one old lady had once worked in a cafe that had been what was now owned by a coke cola company she needed an extra ?150 or so to top up her grant and i wrote to them and they gave it to her !

Most professions / trades have benevolent organisations - no reason why confectionary workers shouldn't have one too. Of course, Quaker chocolate bosses (Cadbury in Bournville, Frys in York) were among the first provide good working and living conditions for employees. Bournville in SW Birmingham is still a very special place, with parks, sports fields, boating lakes, well maintained (if restricted patterns / decorations) houses, street furniture etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back