SW or WW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Hunter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I need to lose quite a few stone and am type 2 diabetic. I just wondered if anyone has experience of Slimming World or Weight Watchers and can recommend which is the better of the two for diabetes and wreight loss.

Thanks

🙂

My mum used to be a SW consultant back in the day, and lost 10st with it. Sadly, she did put a lot of that weight back on. She's a T2 herself, and has just restarted recently, and has in less than two months, reached the point where she's half a pound away from losing 10% of her body weight and 2 and half stone 🙂

Hi Ghost Hunter,

I am with WW and have lost 75lbs so far... I have tried just about every diet there is and weightwatchers is the one that works for me! But equally said I have a friend who changed to slimming world as weightwatchers didnt work for her and is doing great. So I think it really depends on the person and what they like/dont like. Weightwatchers is a points system so they dont tell you what you can or cannot eat nothing is off limits...

If you have a lot to loose I would suggest discussing it with your GP as some PCTs have specialst weight loss clinics, Good luck x

My mum used to be a SW consultant back in the day, and lost 10st with it. Sadly, she did put a lot of that weight back on. She's a T2 herself, and has just restarted recently, and has in less than two months, reached the point where she's half a pound away from losing 10% of her body weight and 2 and half stone 🙂

Congratualtions to your mum SacredHeart, that is a fantastic weight loss :D xxx

Thanks Carol :D I'm so very, very proud of her.

As for SW vs WW, I think it's whichever suits a person - I get the impression that they both have their pros and cons 🙂

Yep totally agree, ww works for me, my friend Elaine is doing fantastically well at sw and I have another pal on another forum that has lost 7st by herself...

SW gets my vote every time. I have always found it easier than WW. I did join WW a few years ago and I found I knew more about what food does in the body than the woman and you may well find that as well as it is down to my daughter's diabetes. I found she was saying wrong things but I couldn't interupt and tell her and all the people lapping it up. I found it quite hard to count points etc as well as count carbs for Jessica.

SW all the way.

i am not trying to hijack your thread but can i ask a question and i am hoping that i do not offend

i am needing to loose about 3 to 4 stones and was wondering as we loose weight would our body adapt to our new weight and size or would i need a tummy tuck etc for the weight i hope to loss????
weird question but it has been stuck in my brain for some time and i kinda dont want to ask my doc this one for fear of that he thinks im daft or stupid

i am not trying to hijack your thread but can i ask a question and i am hoping that i do not offend

i am needing to loose about 3 to 4 stones and was wondering as we loose weight would our body adapt to our new weight and size or would i need a tummy tuck etc for the weight i hope to loss????
weird question but it has been stuck in my brain for some time and i kinda dont want to ask my doc this one for fear of that he thinks im daft or stupid

Hi topcat, going to send you a pm :D

Hi Ghost Hunter,

I am with WW and have lost 75lbs so far... I have tried just about every diet there is and weightwatchers is the one that works for me! But equally said I have a friend who changed to slimming world as weightwatchers didnt work for her and is doing great. So I think it really depends on the person and what they like/dont like. Weightwatchers is a points system so they dont tell you what you can or cannot eat nothing is off limits...

If you have a lot to loose I would suggest discussing it with your GP as some PCTs have specialst weight loss clinics, Good luck x

Thanks I already have tried local PCT, been back and forth to GP for last 3 months. All she can suggest is WW but can't refer me or give me discount. Have only proved I have dropped a couple of lb in 2 monthly visits to see GP but have put it all back on and more. I try and follow a healthy diet (I know its healthy as been to food for thought, Diabetes course and even Health Trainer sessions) but nothing I do seems to help.

I will go see my DSN as maybe she can give more help.

Not at all its a very valid question no question is silly, I hadn't thought of asking it and am curious to the answer so thank you for raising it.

Thanks everybody for the help so far 🙂

I met a very tall thin girl in Evans once. We got talking as you do. She had just lost 12 stone with a gastric band but needed surgery.

She got the band on the NHS but they wouldn't then pay for the excess skin to be removed. Seems like half an operation really.

I lost 4 stone with one of those drinking diets where you have about 450 cals per day. I was fine and didn't have excess skin. However I put on 6 stone and will now have excess skin when I lose it all. I have been given a great opportunity though. My brother is paying for a personal trainer for me and I have nearly lost a stone. She is from this fantastic gym which hardly anyone goes to, a small private one and I love it. I got twice a week and for the first time ever I am eating healthily most of the time. I have the odd slip up but by being dairy free I can't have fast food or take aways as there is milk in everything it seems.

Hi - in the past i have lost 5.5 stone with slimming world but put it back on and then went to ww and did the same. However as some have already said it is what suits you and also I think if I was to do either of the above diets now - knowing I have db - i think I would be more committed to not putting back on.

I have been doing it myself this time - well not really - with full support form hubbie, son and a PT. I have to say that my view is as long as you get a good exercise program going in line with the diet (I am talking the gym I am afraid or aerobic type thing) then the skin should tighten - or at least that is what I am hoping and lsot 21/2 stone so far and no sign of sagging - even the bingo wings are getting tighter! Well done and setting out to lose the weight - and good luck. ..It isn't a silly question either - I often wondered before I started the gym.

Hi - in the past i have lost 5.5 stone with slimming world but put it back on and then went to ww and did the same. However as some have already said it is what suits you and also I think if I was to do either of the above diets now - knowing I have db - i think I would be more committed to not putting back on.

I have been doing it myself this time - well not really - with full support form hubbie, son and a PT. I have to say that my view is as long as you get a good exercise program going in line with the diet (I am talking the gym I am afraid or aerobic type thing) then the skin should tighten - or at least that is what I am hoping and lsot 21/2 stone so far and no sign of sagging - even the bingo wings are getting tighter! Well done and setting out to lose the weight - and good luck. ..It isn't a silly question either - I often wondered before I started the gym.

Wow that really inspires me. I'm loving my PT and I'm hoping for the same thing. Are you following just a general healthy diet or are you counting cals (as well as carbs 😉). I've been told to count cals but find it quite hard as I count carbs for my daughter and my little brain gets confused and I forget that there are cals in a piece of chicken and things like that 🙂

I generally keep to around 1800 cals a day or less if can and keep carbs low (but have some e.g 1/2 jacket spud instead of full one - but this is individual to me as a whole spud spikes me). I think if you spend 2 weeks testing your post meal 2 hrs after, you will soon learn what spikes you. I generally find if things spike me this means I struggle to lose weight. after a fortnight you should have an idea. As long as you eat low sugar,salt fat and carbs and do exercise otherwise, you should lose in a healthy way.
I have jsut started making my own soups and that seems to help.

I've been struggling along on my own because I haven't had money for either. I lost weight quite well at the start but then it stopped, I didn't gain any, but didn't lose any either. However, now I've started swimming I'm losing weight again slowly but surely at about a pound a week. My idiot doctor isn't happy with the amount of weight coming off, but I don't listen to her, I figure the slower it comes off the more likely it is to stay off long term. The new doctor agrees with me. I do calorie count but I'm not obsessive about it, I'm more interested in reducing my carb intake and eatling low GI stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back