Surprising reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This morning I tested myself when I woke up, as usual - I was 5.4 mmol/l, hurrah! 🙂 I had half a mug of tea and then went to inject for my breakfast - this was about 40 mins after my test. Absent-mindedly, instead of picking up my pen, I tested again (doh!). I was 7.3 mmol/l! 😱

I can only presume that this was my liver kicking out glucose, surely can't have been due to the tea. I know my levels will rise in the morning if I skip breakfast, but was surprised at how quickly it had risen today! This is useful though, as I might have to try eating sooner after rising - a bit of a lifestyle change, as I normally need an hour or so to 'wake up' before my appetite kicks in.

i think this is something I need to keep an eye on too. I have been having problems tummy wise so save breakfast and pills till I get to work incase I get held up and beed the bathroom urgently.

Back to the diary and a doctors appointment I think!

I'll report back on what nursey says this afternoon about the liver. I think, like you, that it plays a bigger part than they educate us about.

Rob

I'll report back on what nursey says this afternoon about the liver. I think, like you, that it plays a bigger part than they educate us about.

Rob

Yes, I've never had it explained, for example, the rate at which a liver could vary in glucose release. It would be handy if they could show you some sort of graph of typical production - maybe showing equivalent carb value - over time. I know it must vary a lot from person to person and according to loads of factors, but I have no real reference point.

Hope the visit goes well and that your nurse is one of the good'uns! 🙂

Northe,

I dont usually test until I eat breakfast. However, on the occasions I have tested on waking, felt low etc, I always rise by 1 -2 when I then test for breakfast, which may only be 15 -30 mins 😱

I think its your bodies reaction to actually getting out of bed from sleep, and your liver kicking it to prepare you for the day, this happens to me no matter what time I wake. Only my opinion mind!

Our friend dawn phenomonon........

I always wake in double figures and thats at 6.30..........my solution, get insulin in straight away............

Our friend dawn phenomonon........

I always wake in double figures and thats at 6.30..........my solution, get insulin in straight away............

Have you done any basal testing to make sure you've got your overnight basal at the right amount? In theory if your overnight basal is right you shouldn't be waking in double figures...that must feel horrible!

I finished dafne just under a year ago now and my basal dose just kept coming up, as they halfed it for the course.........as i expected as I am a big strong boy........

Any more at night and I will hypo, I am on Humilin I, so it peaks at 4 hours, 26 at night, 17 in the morning........

I even have some toast at night with some quick acting and it still doesnt come down.......

I dont really feel ill though, just tired, but Im used to that.......

This morning I tested myself when I woke up, as usual - I was 5.4 mmol/l, hurrah! 🙂 I had half a mug of tea and then went to inject for my breakfast - this was about 40 mins after my test. Absent-mindedly, instead of picking up my pen, I tested again (doh!). I was 7.3 mmol/l! 😱

I can only presume that this was my liver kicking out glucose, surely can't have been due to the tea. I know my levels will rise in the morning if I skip breakfast, but was surprised at how quickly it had risen today! This is useful though, as I might have to try eating sooner after rising - a bit of a lifestyle change, as I normally need an hour or so to 'wake up' before my appetite kicks in.

Hiya, could it be a discrepancy with the meter? I know there can be varying readings even with the same meter....

Yes, I've never had it explained, for example, the rate at which a liver could vary in glucose release. It would be handy if they could show you some sort of graph of typical production - maybe showing equivalent carb value - over time. I know it must vary a lot from person to person and according to loads of factors, but I have no real reference point

Quite a lot of recent research focuses on the role of the liver in diabetes and its role in causing hyperglycaemia. This years Banting lecture includes some research data about the uptake and release of glucose from the liver in people with and without diabetes. The specific data is from people with type 2 but the lecturer says at the start that the principles also apply to type 1.
It's a very technical lecture and I couldn't understand all of it, the parts I could grasp were very interesting(well I thought so😉 )
http://professional.diabetes.org/WebcastList.aspx?ses=2359

Quite a lot of recent research focuses on the role of the liver in diabetes and its role in causing hyperglycaemia. This years Banting lecture includes some research data about the uptake and release of glucose from the liver in people with and without diabetes. The specific data is from people with type 2 but the lecturer says at the start that the principles also apply to type 1.
It's a very technical lecture and I couldn't understand all of it, the parts I could grasp were very interesting(well I thought so😉 )
http://professional.diabetes.org/WebcastList.aspx?ses=2359

Thanks for that Helen, I will take a look! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back