Surprise CGMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I thought I had best post my news here about my 640g pump and CGMs - I went to London this morning and my DSN fitted me up with a CGM and explained everything to me and told me it had been decided because I have so many unexpected HYPOs and I have no awareness of them that it had been decided that I would be able to use them continually, I was so surprised I could hardly believe it. I was then taken to see a Consultant who was really great and was explaining my case to a new Registrar and it was very interesting to listen about me.

The CGM has already suspended my insulin twice and then turned it back on since I had it fitted this morning.

So here is a very happy bunny.

jusme

At last common sense rules 🙂 So pleased for you.

Really great news, it will hopefully relieve you of lots of hidden stress 🙂 I was surprised when I stopped using lantus how the weight of the fear of night hypos was lifted from me, hadn't realised how much it had been preying on my subconscious 🙂

That's great to hear, Jusme.🙂 I'm not sure I'd like to hear my endo talking about me!🙄😱

You lucky person. CGMs seem to be part of the postcode lottery

That's really brilliant news Jusme - where it works well for people, SmartGuard is a complete game changer.

Hope you get on really well with it!

Mike

I'm on a 640G with CGM on the NHS and very thankful. The 640G is great for turning off the basal when BG gets low and turning it on again when it returns to a safe level (big reduction in anxiety levels!). The 640G can only be calibrated 4 times a day. My BG shoots up and down rapidly and often arbitrarily so I have to test 7-8 x pd. Because my CGM can be 3-4 mnmols either way of an actual BG reading, it would be helpful if when you register a BG reading without calibrating, that the 640G could pay some attention, but it doesn't. I've had Type 1 for 60 years and on pumps for 9-10 years. The first CGMs were really inaccurate in my experience and I stopped using mine, but I've started again with the 640G. Nothing works as well as a healthy pancreas, but as Type 1s, we are under enormous stress and distress from the continual unreasonable demands of diabetes. I think the CGM and the 640G save me from diabetic burnout. The feel of high or low BGs are both so unpleasant, that allowing the distress to stop you taking care of your diabetes is to put you in a much worse position. Giving up is not an option. You have to keep positive and enjoy life to the best of your ability. Possible for some, very difficult for others. I've been lucky.
Adam

Hi Adam - I have been T1 Diabetic for 53 years and have gone through a hell of a lot but mainly due to hypos it was very interesting to read about you and how you have coped for so long but you are very positive thinking so I must say well done and have you got your medals from DUK? I never bothered applying because I have no one to show the 50 year one to.

I am at the moment struggling to getting to grips with the continual alarms going off and have set it today just for the vibrating one when I am getting low or when it is telling me I am rapidly rising when I am only 6.2 and my high setting is 11!!! Still it is early days and I will learn as I go along.

Hope to hear more from you.

jusme

That is excellent news jusme.

It does take some tweaking with the alarms and the rate of rise/fall to prevent alarm rage! The rapidly rising glucose message does amuse me as at first I thought my bg was shooting off the scale whereas in reality it had moved from 4.1 to 4.3, now I accept it is just being a bit of a drama queen with the 'rapidly rising' description!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back