Supermarket's own brands pros and cons

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So the only way to check if the ingredients in the item are suitable for you and don't contain eg too much carb or any amount of any thing you happen to be violently allergic to, is to put it in your trolley then stop dead in the middle of an aisle to read the back of the packet? Or what?

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So the only way to check if the ingredients in the item are suitable for you and don't contain eg too much carb or any amount of any thing you happen to be violently allergic to, is to put it in your trolley then stop dead in the middle of an aisle to read the back of the packet? Or what?
How about making a shopping list and checking carb contents online?
It’s what my 80 year old parents have been doing since they decided to avoid supermarkets and just take deliveries or click and collect.
Although, to be honest, as my Mum is a fantastic cook she mostly buys ingredients and makes her own.

I visit supermarkets but don’t feel the need to read the labels in store, apart from best before dates which you can usually see with the packets on the shelf.
I miss being able to gently squeeze fruit and veg to check their ripeness but respect the need to touch as few things as possible in order to reduce the risk of passing on infections.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I haven't forgiven Lidl for the protein roll discontinuation !!!
That was the only thing I went there for my store never looked that well cared for, and the car park was shared with a pub and Farm Foods.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@rebrascora my point is, you can't touch something you don't already know to check carbs, or in other peoples cases ingredients, others may be fine with not knowing before they get home but still being in recovery from an eating disorder I won't buy something if I don't know the carbs and as Lidl don't list their products online the only way to find out about them is to touch them xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ah, I see! Hopefully once we get vaccinated things will return to being a bit more normal and shopping in Lidl will become possible for you again.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well as we rarely visit a Lidl (miles to the nearest one) I don't have the slightest idea what they usually sell, so it won't inconvenience me. But usually see things in there I haven't seen before, so do study the labels, same as I've done all my life since before D, with anything new to me. eg I simply don't ever buy a packet of wraps because those I have tasted on buffets etc, seem to be horribly floury in the mouth, Yuk. Hence when faced with a table full of them (and other things all requiring pure guesswork eg slices of flan and pizza) for lunch at a members panel meeting in the DUK offices in London (they had been around for a little while but hadn't appeared much in the Midlands then, so I did recognise what they were) I asked how may g of carb was in any of it - and the two blokes running the meeting didn't have the slightest idea though one of them did go out to see if he could find out - Outside catering - Lunch buffet for X number of adults, that's what they delivered. I was cross.

So anyway at that time, a subsidiary question at that exact time (ie not the actual reason for calling the meeting) was asked as to whether we wanted better access online to our test results. If yes, say why. Myself and another, bit older than me Type 2 lady sat at the head of the table opposite the 'leaders' so everyone along my left hand side had already said Yes for several different reasons depending on who they were and what their involvement was, which I agreed with and saved me remembering them all. I said Yes for all the reasons already outlined and some others too I hadn't thought of - but mostly, because they were mine! Why on earth should I NOT have simple access to them?

Next door neighbour was appalled that so may of us did not have utter and complete trust and reliance on our GP to instantly and 100% correctly respond to any and every thing he/she ever found out about a patient. I'd be gobsmacked if our GP ever responded to anything from eg a consultant they've most likely referred us to, saying 'he/she needs a scan/a test for XYZ' They just don't - until you've been to see a GP and said Dr A at Hospital said I need to be referred to ..../tested for ... when they read the letter on their system and ask you if you want the referral or test, and if you answer Yes then they arrange it, but not otherwise.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mr Eggy will only have Heinz beans and Kelloggs cornflakes and I will only have Hellman’s Mayo, tried own brands and too runny. But Aldi butter, cheese, all types, are brilliant value and I much prefer Aldi’s mature cheddar to Pilgrims Choice, Mclellands et al. I have a friend who has been to our local Aldi once since it opened, 10 years ago maybe, and didn’t like it as it didn’t sell brands! I just wish Aldi did delivery or click and collect up in our town, I’m missing it. It’s costing a fortune doing a Tesco shop for everything.
I thought i would let you know a second branch of Aldi here are now offering Click and Collect, it might be worthchecking their website.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I thought i would let you know a second branch of Aldi here are now offering Click and Collect, it might be worthchecking their website.
Just checked, not yet unfortunately. We have three branches in our city would have thought at least one would do it. I’ll keep checking through, thanks.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just checked, not yet unfortunately. We have three branches in our city would have thought at least one would do it. I’ll keep checking through, thanks.
We have 3 too, they started with one a few months ago, and then saw that a second was now doing.That was when I posted. We are not shopping at Aldi at the moment as other half decided before Xmas as the levels of virus was high , so we are online shopping at Sainsbury's.