Sun exposure and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

6pac

Hi there, I’m on holiday at the moment and I spent a few hours lay in the Sun yesterday. I began to feel “really” tired to the point where I wasn’t able to stay awake which is very unusual for me. I managed to get back to my room where I immediately fell asleep again and stayed like that for around 16 hours.
My wife was talking to someone at the hotel and they said sun exposure can play havoc with BG levels, is there any truth in this? I didn’t bring my blood test kit with me so I have no idea what my levels were.

Hi @6pac

The attached link provides some very useful information.

Brilliant, thanks for the link blue

@6pc, some find the heat and sun sends their numbers higher, some lower.

It could be you are also dehydrated, especially if you have been lying out it the sun.

please ensure you are drinking plenty fluids, ideally not too many of the alcoholic variety. Alcohol also acts as a dehydrator.

Which type of diabetes do you have @6pac ? Do you take any medication for your diabetes management?

Very warm temperatures can increase insulin sensitivity which can lead to lower blood glucose (it's one of the reasons that people with diabetes are generally warned not to use sauna or hot tubs)

Which type of diabetes do you have @6pac ? Do you take any medication for your diabetes management?

Very warm temperatures can increase insulin sensitivity which can lead to lower blood glucose (it's one of the reasons that people with diabetes are generally warned not to use sauna or hot tubs)
Hi there thanks for the reply, I have type 2 (I think) I take metformin 3 times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back