Sukron Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachhut

I have read that sukron gold is suitable for diabetics, does diabetes uk advocate it’s use. Are others using it.

Don't know about DUK, but I certainly don't!! At 99.3grams of carb to every 100grams of this
I wouldn't read too much into that. There's carbs and there's carbs, and I think these are mostly polyols so in the same family as sorbitol. So not very digestible (which matches with the low energy content).

(I'm not recommending it, but I'm inclined to believe their claims of relatively small effects on blood glucose.)

Yes it's 98% polyol. The best thing is to do a BS test after using it to see the effect on you. In general polyols are best avoided as they can cause diarrhea.

Another good reason to avoid ~ols in general. Better to try and cut down on sweetness in drinks generally - have to say I'd already cut down before I was ever diagnosed (cos we all wanted to look like Twiggy when we were teenagers back then) so didn't have sugar in coffee before I was diagnosed though still took one in tea tsp but of course they wouldn't put it in my tea once I was in hospital so if I wanted a hot drink when the trolley came round in the afternoon I had no choice so I had to get used to it pdq - and I did. By Day 2 breakfast, I knew 100% it was more thirst quenching without - and 50 years later it still is, even though I'm by no means desperately thirsty (like I was then) normally. I don't ever even think about adding sugar to drinks even if I'm hypo - just doesn't occur to me so I look for biscuits or pop/cordial etc. instead.

In general, the sorbitol, and all the other -ols are osmotic laxatives. They work by absorbing water in the colon, softening the bowel motions. Little if any aren’t drawn into the bloodstream, and are ignored by the bacteria in the gut. Whatever carbs they contain pass straight through the colon and into the toilet, so all things considered, they cannot have any effect on your BG.

So the answer to the OP’s question is yes, they are perfectly safe for diabetics, T1 or T2.

I avoid this stuff, mainly because I once at a whole bag of sugar free wine gums and spent the rest of the day running to the bog. Talk about ring of fire!

I have some sukrin syup which is nice if not particukarly sweet and its nice over a bit of (almond flour) cake...doesn't raise bs for me or case GI discomfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back