Sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard1973

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Newly diagnosed as type 2 and struggling to find out about different types of sugar that i can use for instance coconut sugar and other natural sugars

Sugar is merely another carbohydrate and in diabetes its all carbohydrate which we need to reduce/limit, therefore look on the packet and choose the one with the least carb per 100g.

If it's in cooking or eg your tea why not use artificial sweetener of which you need approx a third of the amount of sugar you would have used cos its 3 times as sweet!

They are all carbs, sugars of any type are a definite no-no. I am afraid it is either saccharine, stevia, aspartame or having your morning cuppa unsweetened. I haven't tried it yet, but the last time I was in Liddle, stevia was quite reasonably priced compared to Canderel [aspartame], but saccharine has a longer safety record.

Newly diagnosed as type 2 and struggling to find out about different types of sugar that i can use for instance coconut sugar and other natural sugars

Welcome @richard1973 🙂 As mentioned above, it’s all carbs, both savoury and sweet, you need to watch. Some of the table sugar alternatives have just as many carbs as white sugar, so they still need to be watched. Artificial sweeteners are low carb but some people don’t like to use them.

If you take sugar in coffee or tea, the best thing to do would be to cut down and then eliminate it. If you need to use sweeteners to help you do this that’s ok.

What was your HbA1C at diagnosis? Areyou on any meds for the diabetes?

Welcome @richard1973 🙂 As mentioned above, it’s all carbs, both savoury and sweet, you need to watch. Some of the table sugar alternatives have just as many carbs as white sugar, so they still need to be watched. Artificial sweeteners are low carb but some people don’t like to use them.

If you take sugar in coffee or tea, the best thing to do would be to cut down and then eliminate it. If you need to use sweeteners to help you do this that’s ok.

What was your HbA1C at diagnosis? Areyou on any meds for the diabetes?
That was 77 I believe, I am currently on Metformin

Coconut sugar is pretty much the same carb content as normal table sugar, and best avoided.

Hi @richard1973 and welcome to the forum no-one wants to join...
In my experience you just have to give up sugar, tough as that may be. So that means no sugar in drinks or on foods. You can't avoid it in many processed and prepared foods, so for those, seek ones with the lowest sugar content according to the blurb (the facts, not the marketing). Once you have reduced your HbA1c and get under better control, you may find you can get away with the odd sweet thing. Personally I've never bothered with the artificial sweeteners.
Good luck on your journey and stay positive. Nick.

Welcome to the forum @richard1973

Unfortunately naturally occurring sugars are just as easily absorbed by the body as commercial sucrose/table sugar, but what often surprises people is that some ‘no sugar’ sources of carbohydrate (even high fibre ones) can be absorbed even more speedily. Cornflakes and several other breakfast cereals can hit the bloodstream faster than spoonfuls on sugar or jam in some cases!

Personally I find that looking at total carbohydrate and pretty much ignoring ‘of which sugars’ is a more reliable method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back