Sugars 24.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikey the tinker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 2, have been diabetic for 3 years and it's always been tightly controlled.

The past two weeks however, my sugars have been sky high, around the 17 mark, and today they are 24.8.

I'm not doing/eating anything differently - should I go to the doctors?

Yes do go see the doctor. There are a few reasons why you are high, mainly if you have got the start of an infection (although some folks do go low) or you are under more stress than normal.

I find I go high on the times when I forget to take my pills or if I have had a sugar bender, but we are all different, so deal with the blips differently. I hope you get things sorted soon

i should get to see GP or your DSN if you can xx good luck

Hi Ikey, nice to hear from you again, but sorry to hear of the recent problems. It looks like you definitely need to see your doctor and see if you need a change to your medication. Are these post-meal levels?

They are just random measurements, more than 3.5 hours after I've last eaten, can't work it out at all, absolutely nothing in my diet/medication/exercise regime has changed and the BS has rocketed and stayed high for quite a while - 2 weeks at least. Have booked in to see the doctor later in the weeks. Have been waking up with numb hands and feet as well, not sure if that's normal or not?

I have started taking supplements - selenium, sea kelp etc, but don't see why they would have any adverse affect really?

I have started taking supplements - selenium, sea kelp etc, but don't see why they would have any adverse affect really?

Do they have a coating? I don't know if the coating has an effect, but some supplements come sugar coated to make them more paletable. Look at the list of ingredients, and warnings. Some things say Don't take/use if you are/have certain medical conditions.

They are just random measurements, more than 3.5 hours after I've last eaten, can't work it out at all, absolutely nothing in my diet/medication/exercise regime has changed and the BS has rocketed and stayed high for quite a while - 2 weeks at least. Have booked in to see the doctor later in the weeks. Have been waking up with numb hands and feet as well, not sure if that's normal or not?

I get numbness in my feet if my levels have been high. Hopefully, that should go when you can get your levels back to normal. It sounds as though your pancreas can no longer respond as it was doing to your carb intake. Might be worth reassessing your diet and trying to reduce carbs to see if that has a beneficial effect.

OK if its inexplicable, lets try the obvious first (you may have already)

Check your meter.

If you have a second meter, test with that. If not, get one. This is why everyone should have two meters.

Recode your original meter. If you have control solution, recalibrate it. If not, get some control solution for future use and replace it when it hits it use by date. Most meter manufacturers will supply this free of charge and you can order it online with some of them.

If your original meter continues to give high results, use another batch of strips and retest. Dodgy batches do happen from time to time and mismatched or dodgy calibrators can be shipped occasionally.

If none of that works, see the doc.

OK if its inexplicable, lets try the obvious first (you may have already)

Check your meter.

If you have a second meter, test with that. If not, get one. This is why everyone should have two meters.

Recode your original meter. If you have control solution, recalibrate it. If not, get some control solution for future use and replace it when it hits it use by date. Most meter manufacturers will supply this free of charge and you can order it online with some of them.

If your original meter continues to give high results, use another batch of strips and retest. Dodgy batches do happen from time to time and mismatched or dodgy calibrators can be shipped occasionally.

If none of that works, see the doc.

Meter's fine, I feel dreadful now, off to see the doc on Monday, hopefully he can sort me out. Thanks for the advice all.

I really can sympathise with your situation. My levels have averaged 20+since last December so yes i would definitely go and see your GP as soon as poss.

Hazey

Please do let us know how you get on. Hope you're feeling better.

I really can sympathise with your situation. My levels have averaged 20+since last December so yes i would definitely go and see your GP as soon as poss.

Hazey

Hi Hazey, welcome to the forum 🙂 What is your doctor doing about your levels? 20+ for 6 months will be putting you at great risk. :(

Hazey

Hi hun and welcome here - as Northey said, has your GP done anything about your high levels? Running that high for so long is putting yourself at risk so hopefully your doctor or your diabetes team is doing something about it. I had levels very similar to you for a very long time, so know what its like - drop me a PM if you want to talk or any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back