Sugar Up and Down like a Yoyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulcornwall

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Recent diagnosis of Type 2 and placed on Metformin. I've been to the doctors several times over the last couple of years with fatique, very poor memory, and night sweats. Very light exercise would cause me to shake, feel terrible and the need to stop - I found the during these times craving for sugar got me feeling better within 30 minutes.
Last year I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which I thought might be the key to my problems, I understand i'll be medicated for life for this but yet to get the optimal balance of medication. Move on another 6 months and I'm told I have type 2 diabetes.
Do to mental health I find it difficult to leave the house so most excercises are done in and around the house. But the trouble being anything more light exercise and I get the shakes and feel terrible ago and reach for the carb and sugar.
Being somewhat confused to whats going on I order a sample kit of the Libre kit. Its extremely fascinating to see whats happening.
The majority of the time my sugar is one the high side 8-10mmol, when I eat, as expected it goes up to 14-17mmol. From here 1 of 2 things happen, either things settle back down after a couple of hours or I have a sudden drop in levels going down to 2-3mmol.
I was wondering if anyone could place explain whats happening? The metformin dosent seem to make a difference to the pattern after a meal or exercise.
I'm slightly over weight BMI of 30 but struggle with exercise at the best of times, but anything worth doing causes me to feel shaky and stop me in my path. I am so tired and fatigued I dont know what to try or do. Any ideas?

Your blood glucose levels are pretty high so no wonder you are feeling fatigued. Metformin doesn't act directly on your food but works in the background to help your body use the insulin it produces more efficiently and reduce the liver from releasing glucose.
If your blood glucose is increasing so much after eating then I suspect your meals are too carb heavy so your body is overproducing insulin so your level drops rapidly so you feel rubbish and need to eat carbs to bring it up so creating a vicious circle.
It is usual to be looking for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase 2hours after eating if it is more than that then your meal is too carb heavy.
Also exercise will help but not as much as dietary changes. What would be typical meals that you have?

There is also a condition called reactive hypoglycaemia which could fit your symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back