sugar or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I know this will seem like an odd question - but- should i allow my son sugary things like cakes etc? I want to restrict it to about 1 item per week - but his consultant has told us that there is no reason why he cant eat what he wants as long as he has enough insulin.
Surely sugar is 'bad' for his body as a diabetic? Sorry if i offend anybody, but i just cant seem to work out whether to let him have treats as often as he wants or whether to stick to my guns and ignore the consultant. I think the consultant was trying to reassure him that he doesnt need to feel any different from any other 10 year old boy! I agree he shouldnt, but surely there are reasons for not giving him sugary things? When i say no he just says that his consultant says its ok - so i feel as if i am being mean! Bev

as a diabetic the only way sugar is bad for you is if it is used and insulin not taken to counter the effects it will have on his bg levels bev. his consultant is correct and i would agree that you shouldnt deny your son any foods he is wanting as long as he has the right amount of insulin to cover it. hope this helps you 🙂

Last edited:
As long as he's carb counting then he should be able to have pretty much what he likes. Although of course a healthy balanced diet is of just as much, if not more, importance to a diabetic as everyone else so sugary things are best as a treat than an everyday thing. The main thing most people would avoid is sugary drinks as the sugar absorbs so quickly that insulins can't compete so cause a high spike in blood glucose.

Look at this way, what if Alex didn't have diabetes? Would he be eating cake for breakfast, sweets for lunch and chocolate for tea? I highly doubt it.
How much sweets things did you allow him before diagnosis, how much do you allow your other kids?
I think it's fine for people with diabetes to eat sweet things and cover it with insulin. I don't think you should be depriving him of eating treats. You need to find a balance.

I know this will seem like an odd question - but- should i allow my son sugary things like cakes etc? I want to restrict it to about 1 item per week - but his consultant has told us that there is no reason why he cant eat what he wants as long as he has enough insulin.
Surely sugar is 'bad' for his body as a diabetic? Sorry if i offend anybody, but i just cant seem to work out whether to let him have treats as often as he wants or whether to stick to my guns and ignore the consultant. I think the consultant was trying to reassure him that he doesnt need to feel any different from any other 10 year old boy! I agree he shouldnt, but surely there are reasons for not giving him sugary things? When i say no he just says that his consultant says its ok - so i feel as if i am being mean! Bev

Hi Bev,

Sugar is just more carbs really. The two main things to consider are, having something sugary will have a lot of carbs for a small amount of food, so it's not going to fill him up unless he has a lot of extra insulin to cover it. The other thing is that sugary foods are 'simple' sugars - they are more quickly converted to glucose in the blood, so can cause a 'spike' in the BG readings.

Really, I think that you just need to think of the guidelines for a healthy diet, and try to keep the treats within those constraints, rather than thinking specifically about his diabetes.

Bev, the consultant is right. What you are inflicting on Alex is the ark way of thinking. It was always said in them olden days sugar is bad for you.

Carbs are the enemy when consummed in vast quantities. He would have a better bs result from eating a piece of cake rather than all that pasta you are shoving into him. Learn with Alex to mix and match what he eats.
All you you need to do is moderate his carb intake cover with the correct amount of insulin at meal times. If he wants to eat sweets again ok but the trade off is a small amount and it must be covered with insulin.
All you are doing is building up a massive big resentment in Alex by denying him things like this.
It is better to allow the the things rather than say no and he goes behind your back and eats them with no insulin to cover it.

I think you need to have a long talk with the consultant with Alex present so you both understand about what foods effect him and in what way.
I can quite understand why Alex thinks you are mean 🙄 He must be a very confused boy by now.

As part of a sensible diet there is a place for sugar. I expect Alex feels deprived and different enough already. As part of a balanced diet, and covered by insulin, there is no reason why Alex shouldn't have sugary treats like other kids

as most of us have said on here bev it is probably best to allow him the amount of sugary snacks you would a "normal" kid as long as it is covered with insulin 🙂

I do agree mostly with what you are all saying - but i wanted to correct you Sue - I am NOT trying to be mean - i am just doing the best i can - and i thought (wrongly) that sugar would harm alex in some way!Its very hard as a parent who is still on a learning curve! Bev

p.s. he will be having a few more treats.

if you ever need help with anything bev then im sure we will all try and help the best we can 🙂 and i hope all the diabetes stuff starts to click into place for both you and alex. it can be daunting at first and constantly changes in info given etc, but find what works for you both and then try and stick to it. as they say if it aint broke dont fix it lol

I do agree mostly with what you are all saying - but i wanted to correct you Sue - I am NOT trying to be mean - i am just doing the best i can - and i thought (wrongly) that sugar would harm alex in some way!Its very hard as a parent who is still on a learning curve! Bev

p.s. he will be having a few more treats.

Bev, I didn't say you were trying to be mean. :confused:
I said "I quite understood why Alex thought you were mean."
Sue

Bev, Have you looked into going on a DAFNE course? Maybe they do one for children where parents go too. You really need to go on to one of these course, in my opinion, if you want to understand everything. I think it would be difficult to learn everything you need to know from the internet 🙂

Hi Katie, i have rung the dietician today to ask about it and she is finding out but said we dont have a course in swindon! I told her i would be willing to travel anywhere so long as it helped! So fingers crossed.

SUE sorry i misunderstood what you were trying to say - i think i am being overly sensitive at the moment due to 8 weeks of no sleep! I apologise for jumping down your throat and i know what you said was absolutely correct. I think i am just a bit scared of the whole thing to be honest! I do/have valued your advice very much so far, so please accept my apology. Bev

SUE sorry i misunderstood what you were trying to say - i think i am being overly sensitive at the moment due to 8 weeks of no sleep! I apologise for jumping down your throat and i know what you said was absolutely correct. I think i am just a bit scared of the whole thing to be honest! I do/have valued your advice very much so far, so please accept my apology. Bev

Bev no worries ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
I think you are suffering from the condition called fear of the unknown. Which is completely understandable. Things will improve, you need to ease off a bit. There is no way are you going to learn everything in a short time. 44 years down the line I am still learning. Just take one day at a time and you will be fine.
Sue

Bev, I think you are doing great.

All the questions youve asked and the knowledge you are seeking will prove invaluable to alex as he grows up with his condition. Dont be to hard on yourself, you are entitled to worry and want to know absolutely everything - youre his mum! Sues right though, try and relax, diabetes is trial and error and we learn alot more from getting things wrong than getting them right first time.

x

Thanks! I let alex have a bar of chocolate after dinner and he thought it was christmas! Bev x

Hi all

Just want to pitch in here as another mum... What's most difficult I think in these early days (we are only 10 weeks in) is actually matching carb to insulin...We can carb count til the cows come home, but at the moment my son has a cap on his dose, which means that if we do suddenly decide to build in cake or something, quite often this means that we *know* he will have a big high because we *can't* cover it with insulin because (I guess) no one is entirely sure yet how his body reacts to everything. This was proven last week when we had a whole entire week of regular hypos on levels which had been just fine. Now suddenly we are in higher doses again.

I understand that much of this fluctuation and care is down to the honeymoon period and/or puberty, and of course we have run into constant problems with things like rice, pasta and potatoes -- so nothing is predictable! But I have to confess that we are not allowing high carb *snacks* really at all -- certainly nothing over 15 g (though within this 15 g there are times when it might be a little bit of chocolate, or a couple of biscuits). This *has* been a change, because he quite often used to grab a sandwich between meals. Any carb heavy sweet treats he is having, he is having with meals, so we can at least try to cover them. The obvious solution would be to make sure that his main meals are low-ish carb to account for the sweet treat, but we are only sometimes managing that!

Another option is to inject after the meal, so you know what he's eaten; none of us can know going in exactly what we will want? Again, we've just started this when he thinks there's a possibility he'll want pudding (which none of us have with regularity anyway, so it's no big deal).

One thing I have been doing occasionally is changing the balance of his packed lunch, so I might pack a jam sandwich, which he loves, alongside cold sausages, cheese, baby tomatoes and a pot of yoghurt... Then he gets some sweet carb, but the low carb healthy stuff too, without another carb heavy sandwich. He does LOVE jam doughnuts, which we have never had regularly anyway...but I suspect I will sometimes do the same with them.

If he feels like a square of chocolate though, we let him have one! The background insulin should always cover...

Another of his favourite things is hot chocolate, and while the carb content of the one we normally have is too high for a snack, we have switched to Options, made with milk, which all of us like. He can then have it with breakfast, or in from the snow, or whatever.

Okay, enough from me! I guess I just wanted to say that as parents of newly diagnosed, near-puberty kids, we are advised to take things slowly. AND mixed messages are sent: I spent the first two weeks looking at sugar content for snacks rather than carbohydrate. Duh. But in hospital I was just flummuxed by the dietician, who was pushing low sugar AND low carb, and was just confusing. It was the worst experience ever: we all left the consultation feeling that he can't have honey on his yoghurt anymore ('try dried fruit'), jam, honey nut cheerios ('plain is better'), etc. OMG. It was awful. Much better now!

Thanks for listening....

It can be so difficult being a parent of a Type 1 child can't it? My son has got used to not being allowed anything other than a digestive biscuit for snacks, but he can have anything he wants with his meals, he knows that he can cover the carbs with insulin, whether that is sugary carbs or not. The only thing he isn't allowed is sweet between meals, he's got used to it now and doesn't even ask. When offered a sweet by friends, he will say he can't have it now, but can have it with his meal. Hypos are different of course, lol. He's now trying to remember that the degree of hypo he has will determine the amount of sweets he can eat, how long before a meal it is, and whether he can get away with having just one jelly baby, or pig out on 4. It gets a lot easier as time go by, it's a learning process.

Hi all

Just want to pitch in here as another mum... What's most difficult I think in these early days (we are only 10 weeks in) is actually matching carb to insulin...We can carb count til the cows come home, but at the moment my son has a cap on his dose, which means that if we do suddenly decide to build in cake or something, quite often this means that we *know* he will have a big high because we *can't* cover it with insulin because (I guess) no one is entirely sure yet how his body reacts to everything. This was proven last week when we had a whole entire week of regular hypos on levels which had been just fine. Now suddenly we are in higher doses again.

I understand that much of this fluctuation and care is down to the honeymoon period and/or puberty, and of course we have run into constant problems with things like rice, pasta and potatoes -- so nothing is predictable! But I have to confess that we are not allowing high carb *snacks* really at all -- certainly nothing over 15 g (though within this 15 g there are times when it might be a little bit of chocolate, or a couple of biscuits). This *has* been a change, because he quite often used to grab a sandwich between meals. Any carb heavy sweet treats he is having, he is having with meals, so we can at least try to cover them. The obvious solution would be to make sure that his main meals are low-ish carb to account for the sweet treat, but we are only sometimes managing that!

Another option is to inject after the meal, so you know what he's eaten; none of us can know going in exactly what we will want? Again, we've just started this when he thinks there's a possibility he'll want pudding (which none of us have with regularity anyway, so it's no big deal).

One thing I have been doing occasionally is changing the balance of his packed lunch, so I might pack a jam sandwich, which he loves, alongside cold sausages, cheese, baby tomatoes and a pot of yoghurt... Then he gets some sweet carb, but the low carb healthy stuff too, without another carb heavy sandwich. He does LOVE jam doughnuts, which we have never had regularly anyway...but I suspect I will sometimes do the same with them.

If he feels like a square of chocolate though, we let him have one! The background insulin should always cover...

Another of his favourite things is hot chocolate, and while the carb content of the one we normally have is too high for a snack, we have switched to Options, made with milk, which all of us like. He can then have it with breakfast, or in from the snow, or whatever.

Okay, enough from me! I guess I just wanted to say that as parents of newly diagnosed, near-puberty kids, we are advised to take things slowly. AND mixed messages are sent: I spent the first two weeks looking at sugar content for snacks rather than carbohydrate. Duh. But in hospital I was just flummuxed by the dietician, who was pushing low sugar AND low carb, and was just confusing. It was the worst experience ever: we all left the consultation feeling that he can't have honey on his yoghurt anymore ('try dried fruit'), jam, honey nut cheerios ('plain is better'), etc. OMG. It was awful. Much better now!

Thanks for listening....
Hi Patricia,
Thanks for a glimpse of your experiences, it helps to hear that other parents are as confused as i am! I do get mixed messages ,like when he was in hospital the nursing staff always insisted he injected before food, but when we saw the consultant she was so angry with us for doing this and insisted on injecting before food.
I have also been told he can never have chocolate without insulin (unless its under 14g as a snack) and only 1 snack between meals under 14g. And we have also been told that sugar does play havoc with levels so try to give yoghurts etc. We try desperately hard to do carb counting and sometimes it makes no difference at all and we feel 'guilty' for not getting it right! One consultant (not my sons) told him in hospital that he can NEVER eat sweet things again - which made him cry - but this was cleared up by his own consultant - but all of this added to our misery and more importantly Alex's.
Sometimes we are told keep carbs as low as possible, sometimes we are told give him as much as he wants to eat! I want clear information from medical people - not their personal opinions - but this can be hard to get sometimes. Sorry for moaning. Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back