?Sugar? offers the stories, shocks of life with diabetes (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Emerson College performing arts professor Robbie McCauley has had a glittering performance career of her own. In 1976, she originated the role of Clara in Adrienne Kennedy?s ?A Movie Star Has to Star in Black and White,?? which the experimental theater director Joseph Chaikin staged at the New York Shakespeare Festival.

She played the Lady in Red in the original 1976 Broadway production of Ntozake Shange?s ?For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf.??

At the conclusion of ?Sally?s Rape,?? McCauley?s drama about the victimization of her great-great-grandmother as a slave on a Georgia plantation, she stood naked on an auction block. That piece won a 1992 Obie Award for best new American play, in a three-way tie with Paula Vogel?s ?The Baltimore Waltz?? and Donald Margulies?s ?Sight Unseen.??

Now, in her new one-woman show, premiering at ArtsEmerson Friday through Jan. 29, McCauley strikes a more autobiographical note. ?Sugar?? is about slavery and racism, but it?s also about growing up in Columbus, Ga., and then being diagnosed with type 1, or juvenile, diabetes.

http://bostonglobe.com/arts/2012/01...th-diabetes/TYel2CmQwrbftrT0m60rgP/story.html

I don't think this woman really understands Type 1 diabetes:

?My official diagnosis didn?t happen until I was in my early 20s,?? McCauley says, ?but I realized all my life that something was off in my body. And as I look back, there were small symptoms that might have been called pre-diabetes. I was very thin, which is a symptom of juvenile diabetes. So there were resonances of it in my body at a very early age, but it wasn?t diagnosed until much later.??

Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're going to get Type 1, and you're rarely 'pre-diabetic' for long with it! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back