Sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenub109

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in sep/oct declined medication and wanted to try and control sugars through diet as my eating habits weren’t very good, my question is I’ve eaten some chips and chicken tikka with a small amount of naan bread and checked sugar levels and they are 3.7 after 2 hours which seems low? Also no medication, So what would I do sorry newbie here thought the chips and naan bread would have made levels high?
Thank you

Which BG meter do you have? I am guessing possibly a Kinetic or Sinocare as I believe these meters just give an abstract low reading when not enough blood is applied to the test strip, whereas other meters give an error code.

It is extremely unlikely that you would get a genuine low reading after eating such food unless you have a condition called Reactive Hypoglycaemia and then you would feel unwell. I suggest you get a new test strip and try again, which is what you should always do when you get an unexpected reading, either high or low.

What was your pre meal reading or did you not test before eating? The best practice for testing around meals to see if your body coped with them, is to test just before eating and then 2 hours afterwards and you are looking for a rise of no more than 2-3mmols.

Let us know what reading you get from a second test.

It does, though blood sugars can go down to 3.5 in a healthy person.
Chips and naan are quite high carb so i would expect a higher value.(I am t1 though so may be different for t2)
Did you wash your hands and thoroughly dry then before doing your finger prick test? If your finger was wet it may lead to a low result. Also it may be worth testing your meter with the test solution that would normally come with it.

Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 in sep/oct declined medication and wanted to try and control sugars through diet as my eating habits weren’t very good, my question is I’ve eaten some chips and chicken tikka with a small amount of naan bread and checked sugar levels and they are 3.7 after 2 hours which seems low? Also no medication, So what would I do sorry newbie here thought the chips and naan bread would have made levels high?
Thank you
If I get an unexpectedly low (or high) result I switch hands and do second test, just to be sure. Often the second test gives a different result, in which case I take the average.

If you tested all six fingers you'd almost always get six different results.

Thank you both for your replies, the monitor is a tee 2 was given by hospital when I had gestational diabetes, I did wash and dry hands but do have a cold/sinus infection. So thought maybe it would have been in the higher end as I’ve been told sickness makes levels rise?!? I didn’t check before haven’t been told to by the diabetic nurse but sometimes do for my own benefit and peace of mind. Have my last test strip so will try again after putting toddler to bed and had 1/4 glass of orange juice.

It does, though blood sugars can go down to 3.5 in a healthy person.
Chips and naan are quite high carb so i would expect a higher value.(I am t1 though so may be different for t2)
Did you wash your hands and thoroughly dry then before doing your finger prick test? If your finger was wet it may lead to a low result. Also it may be worth testing your meter with the test solution that would normally come with it.
Also this gives me peace of mind knowing non medicated person can go down to 3.5.
Since being diagnosed I have been on a sugar ban and low carb diet and lost 18.5kg so hopefully my hbA1c has come down

How old are the test strips you are using? Is it a new pot or some left over from then you were pregnant?
The Tee2 is generally very reliable, so I am wondering if the strips are old and have degraded. You are supposed to use a pot within a month of opening them I think.

Why are you drinking orange juice?

How old are the test strips you are using? Is it a new pot or some left over from then you were pregnant?
The Tee2 is generally very reliable, so I am wondering if the strips are old and have degraded. You are supposed to use a pot within a month of opening them I think.

Why are you drinking orange juice?
Oh strips would be 3 years old ‍♀️ left over from pregnancy ooops but in past they’ve shown very high numbers when eating awful and good numbers after good meals. Had a bit of orange juice to see if the numbers came up ‍♀️ still learning but will go to check soon.
Have just ordered new pack so hopefully arrive soon.
Big learning curve getting there slowly hopefully

Also while I’m here may I ask is mayonnaise yes or no? Like to eat tuna salad but not sure on mayonnaise and sugars. Thanks

If you are going to manage your diabetes via diet then you need to learn to read food nutritional labels. My full fat mayonnaise (just been to the fridge to check) is 3.6g per 100g which is low carb and you will only be having a small fraction of 100g with your tuna, hopefully! Low fat mayo might have a higher carb content because they sometimes add sugar to low fat products to make them taste better when the fat has been removed. They also often need to add thickening agents which are usually higher carb products like corn starch. That said a low fat mayo will probably still only be about 5-7g carbs per 100g at a guess.

Are you intending to manage your diabetes via weight loss or following a low carb way of eating?
If you are going low carb I would suggest full fat mayo, if you are going low calorie then you might be best with low fat mayo. However your tikka with chips and a bit of naan don't fit into either category, but maybe tonight was a special celebration!

Thank you so much. Hopefully have a low carb way of life.
If you are going down the low carb route which I personally am a fan of then this link may be of help with some menu ideas with real food which is easier to fit with family meals. There are various menu plans to suit different tastes and budgets. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Low carb is suggested as being no more than 130g carbs not just sugar per day it is not NO carbs.
You have done amazingly well so far with your weight loss, well done.

If you are going down the low carb route which I personally am a fan of then this link may be of help with some menu ideas with real food which is easier to fit with family meals. There are various menu plans to suit different tastes and budgets. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Low carb is suggested as being no more than 130g carbs not just sugar per day it is not NO carbs.
You have done amazingly well so far with your weight loss, well done.
Thank you so much, it’s a long learning curve for me appreciate the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back