Sugar level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. im trying to get my sugar down with diet before starting tablets. My sugar was 14.8 i have now managed to get it to 4.6 before breakfast and 6.8 two hours after eating. But I'm really confused what sugar level should be .I looked on the net but it's very confusing website say different things.

As far as I'm aware, a "normal" sugar level should be between 4-7. 🙂 I was only diagnosed myself this week, so I could be wrong.

Hi i have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. im trying to get my sugar down with diet before starting tablets. My sugar was 14.8 i have now managed to get it to 4.6 before breakfast and 6.8 two hours after eating. But I'm really confused what sugar level should be .I looked on the net but it's very confusing website say different things.
Just to clarify was the 14.8 a result in % from an HbA1C or from a finger prick test which would be in mmol/l. THe HbA1C is the test used for diagnosis and is an average over the previous 3 months, however if that is what it is then you are well into the diabetic zone as the threshold is 6.5% which in new units which your doctor should be using would be 48mmol/mol
If that was also a finger prick the units would be mmol/l and is still high. Normal expectation is 4-7mmol/l before meals or fasting (morning) reading and no more than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal. If starting levels are higher than that then the aim is no more than an increase of 2-3mmol/l 2 hours post meal.
If you levels have been quite high then it is better to bring them down slowly to avoid any eye or nerve issues some people can get.
I know the temptation is to want to do it quickly but gradually can be better.
Do have a look at the Learning Zone as things will be explained to give you a better understanding or this link might be helpful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Hi, how do you know what your sugar levels are, I was diagnosed last January just sent away with tablets no glucose machine no nothing,I asked about keeping a check on my sugar Ievels and was told they don’t give out the machines anymore so how do you manage it

Hi, how do you know what your sugar levels are, I was diagnosed last January just sent away with tablets no glucose machine no nothing,I asked about keeping a check on my sugar Ievels and was told they don’t give out the machines anymore so how do you manage it
Many people self fund a monitor and strips as a lot of surgeries will not provide a monitor unless you are on medication that could cause low blood glucose. The GlucoNavii is a monitor available on line with the cheapest strips though I notice the price has recently increased it is still cheaper than ones from a pharmacy.
You should be told what your HbA1C is which is the test used for diagnosis and will be a number above 47mmol/mol and is an average over the previous 3 months. The monitor will be a spot test in mmol/l and allows you to check day to day, week to week progress or the effect of food and meals on your blood glucose levels.

Hi, how do you know what your sugar levels are, I was diagnosed last January just sent away with tablets no glucose machine no nothing,I asked about keeping a check on my sugar Ievels and was told they don’t give out the machines anymore so how do you manage

Hi I had the same thing when I said I wanted to try to do it with diet first thay sent me away with nothing so I invested in getting one my self from Amazon. And test now and then

Hi I had the same thing when I said I wanted to try to do it with diet first thay sent me away with nothing so I invested in getting one my self from Amazon. And test now and then

Make sure your testing is to good purpose and is giving you information on which to take action. People find testing before they eat and after 2 hours gives an good indication that the meal has been tolerated if the increase from before to after is no more than 2-3mmol/l and if it is they can reduce the amount of the carbs in the meal. Otherwise testing to monitor day to day or week to week progress or testing if you feel unwell is a good use of your monitor.

Just to clarify was the 14.8 a result in % from an HbA1C or from a finger prick test which would be in mmol/l. THe HbA1C is the test used for diagnosis and is an average over the previous 3 months, however if that is what it is then you are well into the diabetic zone as the threshold is 6.5% which in new units which your doctor should be using would be 48mmol/mol
If that was also a finger prick the units would be mmol/l and is still high. Normal expectation is 4-7mmol/l before meals or fasting (morning) reading and no more than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal. If starting levels are higher than that then the aim is no more than an increase of 2-3mmol/l 2 hours post meal.
If you levels have been quite high then it is better to bring them down slowly to avoid any eye or nerve issues some people can get.
I know the temptation is to want to do it quickly but gradually can be better.
Do have a look at the Learning Zone as things will be explained to give you a better understanding or this link might be helpful. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
The 14.8 was from a finger prick .thank you I had no help from doctors got my self a glucose testing machine From Amazon. testing myself now and then to keep a eye on things very confusing

Make sure your testing is to good purpose and is giving you information on which to take action. People find testing before they eat and after 2 hours gives an good indication that the meal has been tolerated if the increase from before to after is no more than 2-3mmol/l and if it is they can reduce the amount of the carbs in the meal. Otherwise testing to monitor day to day or week to week progress or testing if you feel unwell is a good use of your monitor.
Thank you

The 14.8 was from a finger prick .thank you I had no help from doctors got my self a glucose testing machine From Amazon. testing myself now and then to keep a eye on things very confusing
People's blood glucose will vary throughout the day and night, so a finger prick of 14.8mmol/l is high particularly if it is a fasting reading, if after food then it would indicate your meals are too carb heavy for your body to tolerate.
Have you had an HbA1C as that is the test for diagnosis if not then you should ask for it to be done, it would be from a blood sample taken from your arm and sent to the lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back