Sugar intake must be slashed further, say scientists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The target to reduce sugar consumption should be much more ambitious, health experts say.

Both the World Health Organization and government advisers in England have recently proposed a cut in their recommendations for sugar consumption.

The new advice is that it should account for 5% of energy intake - down from 10%.

But a study published in the BMC Public Health journal suggested the target should be no more than 3%.

The researchers - from University College London and London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine - said the move was needed after looking at the cost in both health and financial terms of tooth decay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29212780

This is true, but taken to extremes - are they going to ban all hypo treatments?!

My daughter until very recently couldn't stand any fizzy drinks, so lucozade and full fat coke were out as hypo treatments if she couldn't stomach any more glucose tablets (or if she was asleep - easier to stick a straw in her mouth than try to wake her up in that situation!). So I had to resort to buying really sugary blackcurrant squashes. I used to get Tesco's blackcurrant cordial which was something like 54% sugar 😱 - disgusting stuff that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole normally, but it did work rather well for hypos! Then they stopped doing that one and I had to get a High Juice one which is about 48% sugar, so not much difference. Now can only find a 36% one. Which will still work, because I don't dilute them as much as you should so only a couple of mouthfuls are required. But with this "sugar is bad" craze going on at the moment I can just imagine all of these drinks being banned apart from the low sugar ones!

Fortunately she is just beginning to enjoy diet coke and lemonade, so maybe I can start buying lucozade now. As long as that doesn't get demonised as well...

Ok so I know they are only talking about recommended limits at the moment, which a lot of people probably don't take much notice of. But I can quite easily see the wonderful government that we have trying to restrict the sale of all sugary foods... :(

Hi Sally, like your daughter I don't like "Puckozade" Not keen on sweet stuff at all

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back