sugar in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmasamduke

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi can somebody tell me if all diabetic water samples contain sugar and if so is it allways there, because after my last episode of a hypo i had a sample taken a few hours later adn there was no sugar,blood or any change to the strip that the doc tested. Andrew

Glucose only tends to enter into urine after around 10mmols - hence they aren't used too often for testing today, as the only begin to register the glucose when the levels are way beyond where we'd like them to be.

The issue here is that the kidneys only begin to flush the glucose from the blood into your urine when the levels rise. Hence you want to pee a lot and need more fluids to replenish the urine your kidneys are producing at maximum flow rate - to reduce your levels to sub 10mmols.

Hope that is a rough explanation for you. Blood testing is by far the best way of telling your BS levels.

Do you mean hypo or hyper? Hypo means low, so your body is trying to hold onto any sugar in blood, not flush it out into urine - you wouldn't particularly expect to find sugar in urine after a hypoglycaemic episode. The blood sugar levels at which glucose is expelled into urine varies from person to person - some only lose sugar in urine when blood levels are very high, while others lose sugar when levels are only just above "normal". The other thing to remember is that when you actually pee, you are expelling a bladder-full mixture of urine that has been produced since the last time you peed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back