SUGAR FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuey Rob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Can cough and chesty cough syrup/medicine raise your blood sugar levels? Does anyone no of any sugar free alternatives?

Hi,
Can cough and chesty cough syrup/medicine raise your blood sugar levels? Does anyone no of any sugar free alternatives?
In the past I’ve been able to get sugar free cough medicine, it’s bloody horrible mind! Also sugar free Strepsils if you’ve a sore throat. Your pharmacist is the best person to help.

Not only can sugar in medication affect our blood sugars, so can the coughs itself.
Worst still, a raised blood sugar can make coughs worse.
If you are finding your blood sugars rising, you may want to consider your sick day rules and increase your insulin.
You are more likely to get over your cough quicker if your blood sugars are not too high (or too low).

Hope you feel better soon.

Hi,
There's roughly 5 carbs per teaspoon of cough meds hence why your blood sugars go up.

Both before and since I was diagnosed T1, the only thing that's ever eased a cough for me, is Benylin - hence should I ever need it, I have to buy it elsewhere than my regular pharmacy. I can correct high BG for a week or so quite simply - but not lack of sleep for 2 people caused by my coughing.

Hope you feel better soon @Stuey Rob

Sickday rules here might be useful if your BG goes a bit haywire

If you ask in Boots, they have a special ‘diabetic’ cough mixture which is absolutely foul! It tastes like liquid tarmac.

I like Sugar Free Mentholyptus, Sugar Free Strepsils, and there’s also another throat lozenge that’s sugar free whose name I’ve forgotten.

Another option is the children’s section where they often have sugar-free meds. Personally if I have a really bad cough as I did last year, I just buy the best/most suitable one and only take it at night, ignoring the sugar. Lots of them are pretty rubbish so if I find one that works, I take it.

Can antibiotics cause bg levels to rise?
Infection can so assuming you have one seen as your on antibiotics then that may be the issue xx

I always get the diabetic Strepsils. They're not bad. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back