Sugar Free? Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Why do 'they' insist on labelling stuff 'sugar free', when the items are usually stuffed full of artificial sweeteners that are just as bad for you*? Isn't that sugar too?

I hate artificial sweeteners anyway, they taste terrible. I'd rather have things with 'no added sugar' but they're hard to find.

* Or possibly even more harmful if the tales of derivatives like Aspartame and Sucralose being carcinogens are true.

I totally agree that sweetners are bad for you and taste horrible, but i'm very glad they do label stuff 'sugar free' because now that i'm diabetic in comes in useful so that I can still enjoy some of the things that I used to have as the sugar full versions!

You're right Alison. I'm surprised that Boots still have a 'diabetic' range in this day and age. They still have carbs in them and can cause tummy upsets - must admit I was taken in by them when frist diagnosed, but still have half a bar of 'diabetic' chocolate in the fridge from 10 months ago! Proper sweets are OK every now and then, particularly if eaten with a meal. I just buy ordinary stuff now - biscuits, chocolate, cake, ice cream, jam - cheaper and tastes better. I tend to watch out for fat rather than sugar these days.

Careful having those sugar free things and especially stuff labelled 'diabetic'. The sweetners used have a laxative effect if having too much and 'too much' is different for everyone.

It is far better to have the normal stuff.

Food labeling is improving, but I agree it is sometimes misleading. I always take sugar free to mean it's not real sugar, but a whole host of other damaging chemicals.

At one time suagr and salt were among the few ways of preserving foods to help keep them fresh for longer. Now we have vaccum packs, fridges and freezers and the sugars salts and fats are just there to help make the food taste better.

You're right Alison. I'm surprised that Boots still have a 'diabetic' range in this day and age. They still have carbs in them and can cause tummy upsets - must admit I was taken in by them when frist diagnosed, but still have half a bar of 'diabetic' chocolate in the fridge from 10 months ago! Proper sweets are OK every now and then, particularly if eaten with a meal. I just buy ordinary stuff now - biscuits, chocolate, cake, ice cream, jam - cheaper and tastes better. I tend to watch out for fat rather than sugar these days.

Yes, i dont think pharmacies should be allowed to sell diabetic food etc, it's totally wrong because they know it's bad for you and they know us diabetics don't need to eat 'sugar free' food. And the local chemists need to get some morals and stop selling it.

I was thinking of sugar free jelly wtc when I read this post :D

Yes, i dont think pharmacies should be allowed to sell diabetic food etc, it's totally wrong because they know it's bad for you and they know us diabetics don't need to eat 'sugar free' food. And the local chemists need to get some morals and stop selling it.

I was thinking of sugar free jelly wtc when I read this post :D

It's all about making money. I have on a number of occaisons demonstarted to people that diabetic is worse than the normal stuff for everyone by switching the chocolates around. One greedy person was running to the WC for several hours because they wouldn't listen...

It's all about making money. I have on a number of occaisons demonstarted to people that diabetic is worse than the normal stuff for everyone by switching the chocolates around. One greedy person was running to the WC for several hours because they wouldn't listen...

That reminds me of being told not to eat diabetic chocolate by my father when I was 10. Thinking I knew better, I ate a whole bar of diabetic chocolate my father left lying around....

I soon learned the effects of Sorbitol (do they still make it?) by constant visits to the loo at school that day....

That reminds me of being told not to eat diabetic chocolate by my father when I was 10. Thinking I knew better, I ate a whole bar of diabetic chocolate my father left lying around....

I soon learned the effects of Sorbitol (do they still make it?) by constant visits to the loo at school that day....

Mmm I have to say I did the but as an adult eek. My dad, trying to be kind, bought Jessica diabetic fudge. Well I wouldn't let her eat it and I was hungry .............. bad mistake !

stuffed full of artificial sweeteners that are just as bad for you*?
They're not.

Isn't that sugar too?
No. I assume you're thinking of "sugal alcohols" which are named because of the similar basis of the molecule. They break down into a very small quantity of glucose, unlike sugars. So their effect on the BG is low and late. The laxative effect is much worse, but it affects some people more than others. Depends on your personal tolerance.

Or possibly even more harmful if the tales of derivatives like Aspartame and Sucralose being carcinogens are true.
They're not - unless you eat your own body weight in pure aspartame every day for at least a month. This would be impressive. (note: Only a tiny proportion of sweet & low etc are actually aspartame. The rest is bulking agent). Its easier to kill yourself by overdosing on water.

A lot of nonsense is talked about sweeteners by hysterics who heard a horror story from a man in the pub once, which has no basis in scientific fact.

To get a recommended max daily dose for a sweetener, the process goes something like this...... They find the lowest known dose which starts to cause problems, lower it a bit, divide by 100 or more and that's your max daily dose. Food manufacturers then have to use a much lower level than that to make sure people do not go over that already low level. In about 2002 they reduced the permissible quantity of acefulfame K in fruity bottled water because consumption by kids went up. So the EU got cautious and lowered the limits for food additives.

Conversely, there was a case of an "alternative therapist" (quack) a while ago who advised a woman to do some detox thingy by tripling her water consumption and lowering her salt intake. She was awarded massive compensation for the crippling brain damage caused about a month ago.

Anyway, there's various hysterical sources which claim aspartame in particular causes everything from mild headaches to world war 3. None of it is backed up by evidence other than in reference to massive doses and massive doses of anything will kill you. One of the most common is the Nancy Markle scam which takes the form of a hysterical email containing a lot of exclamation marks, a lot of claims and no facts whatsoever. There's also a doctor called Betty Martini somewhere in the US (who curiously seems to share a lot of similar opinions to Markle) who has been violently opposed to aspartame for years but whose actual scientific evidence against it after all that time amounts to precisely sod all.

Sucralose is one of the most tested substances on the planet and there's no evidence it causes harm at all. Hysterics bang on about it having chlorine in it. Presumably they don't have salt on their chips like the rest of us.

So don't fall into the "natural = good, artificial = bad" trap.

And finally.....

....sugar content can be pretty irrelevant if the rest of the product is fast carbs anyway. I particularly love the "low fat" versions of stuff that hit your BG twice as hard as the full fat versions. You can get a similar effect with low sugar and no added sugar stuff as well.

As always, listen to your meter 😉

Last edited:
Thanks for posting VBH , informative , straight to the point and relevant 🙂

Why do 'they' insist on labelling stuff 'sugar free', when the items are usually stuffed full of artificial sweeteners that are just as bad for you*? Isn't that sugar too?.

This was emphasised at the DESMOND course I was on last week but also the "Lite" range of stuff - I'd never taken much notic e of it but again they emphasised that it might be "lite" on calories but it was full on sugar (or sugar substitutes) and I was amazed people who were on the course were still buying diabetic stuff (especially because of the cost element).

I can't say much of the other diet information was much good though - if I really were a newly diagnosed diabetic I wouldn't have had much of an idea where to go with a new lifestyle diet after being on the Course.

The worst part of it was the afternoon session stressing all the complications of diabetes (mainly aimed at Type 2, of course) - the answer to everything seemed to be "change your diet, change your lifestyle/routine" and "go home and read the DESMOND booklet" type of advice.

I was very depressed that night - no, really, I mean it !!

Do you get the feeling I have been battling misinformation from these loons for 6 years, Addict? 😉

Faith - You're not alone. Everyone who I have run into who's used a meter properly and been on DESMOND is just as derogatory about their dietary advice. Often more so. I hear XPERT is marginally less abysmal, but its a close run thing. Yes carbs raise your BG, so go home and base all your meals on those lovely healthy carbs...........er what?

The BDA have a lot to answer for I'm afraid.

You've got it in one ! I felt like I was at sea - everyone else nodding away and making notes (because they all WERE newly diagnosed and wanted advice) and I just wanted to shout "No...that's not it."

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my criticism of the Course.

All food can be bad for you in the wrong combinations and quantities - people can even overdose on water, which causes dangerous fall in in electroloytes "salts" if drunk in huge quantities without food at the same same.
I agree with others to avoid "diabetic" chocolates - never had them, actually, as I'd rather have a small amount of normal chocolate, but I do drink some soft drinks (squash and fizzy pop) with sweeteners, if I want a drink with no need for insulin. I'm also careful to check the carbohydrate content of fruit juices, as it's nearly always high enough to need insulin to cover. Not sure how I'd act if I had type 2 diabetes.

By the way, BDA (British Diabetic Association) changed its name to Diabetes UK (I tend to pronounce it "duck") in 2000.

Last edited:
Do you get the feeling I have been battling misinformation from these loons for 6 years, Addict? 😉

Faith - You're not alone. Everyone who I have run into who's used a meter properly and been on DESMOND is just as derogatory about their dietary advice. Often more so. I hear XPERT is marginally less abysmal, but its a close run thing. Yes carbs raise your BG, so go home and base all your meals on those lovely healthy carbs...........er what?

The BDA have a lot to answer for I'm afraid.

Yes , I know exactly what you mean there !! 🙄
Hmm Carbs >> touchy subject for me >> I tend to avoid them as much as humanly (and type 1 ) possible :D What most Diabetics either don't realise or have forgotten are that Carbs to a Diabetic are just as bad as Sugar , they will make your levels rise. DSN advice to fill up on Carbs eeeekk , no thanks I'll stick to Low Carbing .

I'm afraid I embarrassed other half at the end of the course. I'd been simmering away for a while and (because I am LADA they stressed I was different, of course!) they said rather patronisingly "Did it make clearer to you what LADA meant as a condition" and I flipped and said "Well it certainly hasn't made it easier to live with, I still HATE it - It's something that's taken over my life and if that's bordering on depression, then I'm depressed!" at which point OH took me home.,.....but I really felt like crying which isn't like me - they had stressed all the downs of the condition then asked if we felt we were depressed and, if so, we'd got to ask for help.

I may have taken some of it wrongly but I don't think it was well put over - I felt those who can do, those who can't teach.....I've learnt far more on here from people actually living with the condition not prattling on about it.

Right rant over !!!

By the way, BDA (British Diabetic Association) changed its name to Diabetes UK (I tend to pronounce it "duck") in 2000.

BDA = British Dietetic Association.

Professional body of dietitians in the UK. Of course DUK and the NHS in general, DESMOND, XPERT, etc get their dietary recommendations from the BDA and DoH. Hence them all having the same illogical line about basing your meals on starchy carbs.

But yes, DUK also used to be BDA and I think the name change was because of the confusion.

I'm afraid I embarrassed other half at the end of the course. I'd been simmering away for a while and (because I am LADA they stressed I was different, of course!) they said rather patronisingly "Did it make clearer to you what LADA meant as a condition" and I flipped and said "Well it certainly hasn't made it easier to live with, I still HATE it - It's something that's taken over my life and if that's bordering on depression, then I'm depressed!" at which point OH took me home.,.....but I really felt like crying which isn't like me - they had stressed all the downs of the condition then asked if we felt we were depressed and, if so, we'd got to ask for help.

I may have taken some of it wrongly but I don't think it was well put over - I felt those who can do, those who can't teach.....I've learnt far more on here from people actually living with the condition not prattling on about it.

Right rant over !!!

The trouble is most of the people running the courses just read from a page /script and don't actually know what it's like to have your whole life suddenly taken over by Diabetes :( I'd rather talk to a fellow Diabetic any day than a DSN who has virtually no bl**dy idea about Diabetes unless it's written in front of them .
Btw , feel free to rant !! , thats what the forum is for 😉

My doctor must be pretty unusual then, he told me from the start to cut right down on the carbs. Mind you he's an Aussie maybe that has some bearing in his attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back