Sugar found in biscuits and ice cream fuels obesity by making us HUNGRIER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A sugar used in biscuits, ice cream and other processed foods is fuelling obesity by increasing people's appetites, scientists have warned.
A new study has shown fructose - which is used to sweeten soft drinks and junk food - is more harmful than other types of sugar.
Pure fructose is found in fresh fruit, fruit juice and jam. However, it also sneaks into our diet through the high-fructose corn syrup used in food manufacturing.

In tests on study participants scans showed consumption of glucose reduced blood flow around the brain regions that regulate appetite.
But fructose did not - and also failed to produce feelings of satiety and fullness whereas glucose did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ts-ice-cream-fuels-obesity-making-hungry.html

I'm glad I don't live in the US, HFCS isn't used that much over here.

Don't get too comfy.

HFCS is fructose and glucose mixed in a 55/45 ratio.

Sucrose, which is what is used in the EU to sweeten stuff, is fructose and glucose mixed in a 50/50 ratio.

Either that 5% makes a massive difference, or we should really all be sweetening stuff purely with glucose.

Well that just accentuates the maxim 'don't eat and drink carp' doesn't it?

ie processed stuff. There may well be quite a lot of fructose in a lovely ripe nectarine plucked from the tree, but you never eat a ton of them; yet people seem to think it's perfectly OK to drink gallons of fizzy drinks .......

Why?

Don't get too uptight - most fizzy drinks in the UK (e.g. coke) are sweetened with - guess what - yeas Sugar, good old plain sugar. The yanks impose import tax on sugar to support the corn industry so they use HFCS (corn syrup) as it's cheaper. Fructose syrup is not often used in biscuits in the UK, you might see fructose-glucose syrup but low down on the ingredients list, whereas sugar is usually high up the list (when sweetened).

most fizzy drinks in the UK (e.g. coke) are sweetened with - guess what - yeas Sugar, good old plain sugar.

Well, this was my point.

'Sugar' is sucrose.

ie. 50/50 fructose/glucose.

HFCS is 55/45 fructose/glucose.

A can of Coke has about 10g of carbs per 100ml, so there's 33g of either HFCS or sucrose in a can.

That means in an HFCS can, there's 18.15g of fructose. In a sugar can, there's 16.5g. That's not exactly a massive difference in raw quantity of fructose.

As I said, either that extra 5% is incredibly significant, or sucrose ie. sugar isn't actually that different from HFCS.

Not quite - some drinks have been found to contain RHFCS with 65% fructose (in the USA it is allowed to be 20% more than stated on the label). Fructose is directly transported to the liver to be processed and is present as a monosaccharide in HFCS whereas sucrose is a disaccharide (glucose and fructose bonded together at a molecular level) and has to be broken down into glucose and fructose.
It's interesting that fructose has a lower GI than sugar (which is why Agave Nectar doesn't affect you as much as Golden Syrup) I suspect that food/drinks made with HFCS are actually sweeter than those made with sugar and it is this that encourages excessive consumption and a greater intake of glucose leading to obesity.
It is also interesting that the body cannot process too much fructose in one sitting and that some people (quite a lot) suffer from fructose malabsorbtion with similar symptoms to IBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back