Sugar cravings

mands73

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi just some advice please. I'm type 2 on metformin slow release twice daily. My levels are good but I'm waking up in the middle of the night craving sugar. I don't understand. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Welcome @mands73 🙂 Do you test your blood sugar when you wake up in the night? That’s always a good thing to do, if only to rule out a blood sugar cause.

How long have you had Type 2?

Hi inka. I don't test when I wake up but I will tonight. I've had type 2 for about 2 years but had gestational diabetes and I have pcos. So I guess I have always been insulin resistant in some form. Couldn't control with diet so they gave me metformin. Which I take religiously. I don't have cravings only when I wake up.
Thanks

There are some recipes for low carb cakes and biscuits as well as other things on the website sugarfreelondoner which you could make and incorporate into your evening meal as a desert or try sugar free jelly and cream so you are having your 'sugar' hit as part of your meal.
Or a couple of squares of dark chocolate before going to bed.

Hi just some advice please. I'm type 2 on metformin slow release twice daily. My levels are good but I'm waking up in the middle of the night craving sugar. I don't understand. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
I'm a relatively new diabetic and currently diet controlling so please take what I say with a pinch of salt (not sugar😉).

I find a little bit of exercise in the evening makes a difference to what happens to me overnight. Maybe because my muscles are more effectively replenishing themselves from my blood glucose - I don't know. But I don't feel hungry into the night and my 1st morning reading is lower too.

I can also second trying the couple of squares of 85% chocolate. I try not to snack after my main evening meal but I do find that if I have a little bit of dark chocolate as my 'pudding', I likewise feel fuller/have less cravings into the night.

Sorry to hear about your mid-night munchies @mands73

Do I understand you right that generally you don’t have cravings? But when you wake overnight you feel hungry specifically for something sweet? I’m guessing it isn’t just sucrose (table sugar) that you are craving?

Homones naturally ebb and flow overnight and around 3am can be a time when glucose levels are at their lowest. Do you think that might be connected? Perhaps with the improvements you have been making your BGs are lower than they have been, and your body may be giving off false hypo symptoms while your BGs are still in a healthy range, just a bit lower than your system is used to?

glad it’s not just me craving sweet things lately, I’ve gone through a mad phase of being obsessed with digestive biscuits. Plus I get the munchies at 2am onwards and feel the need to eat a fruit tea cake.

Back