Sugar contents App

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzard

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have seen Calorie contents app but is there an App that will let me scan food packages to show sugar related content please?

I have seen Calorie contents app but is there an App that will let me scan food packages to show sugar related content please?
Just look on the back of the pack? All the info should be there.

MyFitnessPal will do a breakdown of calories, carbs, fat and protein (the free version). The paid version may give sugar.

The traffic light system on packaging gives sugar content as well.

I see from your other post on the forum that you may be going on to use insulin. If so, it is very important to understand that diabetes is about all carbohydrate, not just sugar, so for your insulin doses, you will need to look at the total carbohydrate content of foods not just sugar. So for instance a slice of bread has very little sugar in it but about 15g carbs for an average medium wholemeal slice and the insulin you inject needs to balance those carbs not just the sugar.

I wonder if you have just been reducing sugar in your diet for the past 20 years you have been diagnosed, whether a review of your diet with a view to reducing all carbs, might negate the need for insulin? Just a thought. Dietary advice has changed a lot in the last 20 years...
If you would like to tell us the sort of things you currently eat in a typical day ie your average breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks/fruit etc. we could perhaps see if there is room for dietary change which might improve your blood glucose levels without the need for insulin.
Do you know your most recent HbA1c result?
What medication are you currently taking for your diabetes.

The carb and sugar information should be on the packaged food. Can you explain a little more about what information you need and what medication you’re on?

I see from your other post on the forum that you may be going on to use insulin. If so, it is very important to understand that diabetes is about all carbohydrate, not just sugar, so for your insulin doses, you will need to look at the total carbohydrate content of foods not just sugar. So for instance a slice of bread has very little sugar in it but about 15g carbs for an average medium wholemeal slice and the insulin you inject needs to balance those carbs not just the sugar.

I wonder if you have just been reducing sugar in your diet for the past 20 years you have been diagnosed, whether a review of your diet with a view to reducing all carbs, might negate the need for insulin? Just a thought. Dietary advice has changed a lot in the last 20 years...
If you would like to tell us the sort of things you currently eat in a typical day ie your average breakfast, lunch and evening meal and any snacks/fruit etc. we could perhaps see if there is room for dietary change which might improve your blood glucose levels without the need for insulin.
Do you know your most recent HbA1c result?
What medication are you currently taking for your diabetes.
Not on insulin yet. They are trying different tablets now. I fully accept your point on carbs but I just wondered if there was such an app to cover sugar. So, is there an app that covers carbs as such?

Not on insulin yet. They are trying different tablets now. I fully accept your point on carbs but I just wondered if there was such an app to cover sugar. So, is there an app that covers carbs as such?
I personally just looked at nutritional information on the back/side of packets, usually with the help of reading glasses as invariably it is in tiny print and not always black on white print but a less clear green or blue on white or vice versa which is much harder to see.
I believe there are apps though which can scan bar codes and give info on sugar and carbs and fat and protein etc and Nutrackeck mentioned above by @Charl is one of them.

Most of the supermarket web sites also give this info at the bottom of the product pages. So you can check what you're considering buying in advance, without having to peer at the small print in store.

Most of the supermarket web sites also give this info at the bottom of the product pages. So you can check what you're considering buying in advance, without having to peer at the small print in store.

Yes if it’s the illegibility of the size of print on the nutritional info panels, search engines and/or supermarket websites will often provide the information.

You can also use your phone’s digital assistant (eg Siri) and ask it the question. “Hey Siri how much carbohydrate in an Asda …”

Nutrachek, MyFitnessPal and Carbs and Cals are the apps most frequently mentioned, but I’m not sure if they’ll do exactly what you are after.

Hope you find a method that works for you @wizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back