Sudden tiredness after eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatterbox

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After lunch today I felt an urgent need to have a sleep and did so watched over by family. I have been low carbing for two weeks and my daughter made me Jacket potato, butter and cheese with salad. Then apple crumble and custard. Small portions. Testing my bloods after sleeping I’d gone from 7.9 to 14. What happened if that wasn’t a hypo???

isnt it a hyper rather than a hypo. although I think you would have higher levels and keytones too

After lunch today I felt an urgent need to have a sleep and did so watched over by family. I have been low carbing for two weeks and my daughter made me Jacket potato, butter and cheese with salad. Then apple crumble and custard. Small portions. Testing my bloods after sleeping I’d gone from 7.9 to 14. What happened if that wasn’t a hypo???
If that was me I'd think I'd eaten too many carbs - potato, apple, crumble, custard; depending what was in your salad there may also have been what I refer to as trace carbs (as some of the numbers are quite low depending on how much of it you eat, i.e tomatoes) The rise in your BG would also suggest that you had eaten too many carbs for your body to cope with.
I've been eating low carb since diagnosis in May so I still feel new to this, I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give you a better explanation.

Last edited:
How long after eating did you get 14? It does suggest that the food did have too many carbs in it.

High blood sugar can make you feel tired.

A ‘hypo’ is low blood sugar, 14 is hyperglycaemic.

Last edited:
Too many carbs I suspect, I would risk one high carb food but not three or four in one meal.

High blood sugar probably contributed to your sleepiness. A hypo is low blood sugar not high. It’s also more than feeling sleepy and can be potentially very serious. Your 7.9 and 14 are way, way above hypo numbers. If you’re not on medication that might cause hypos, you’d be unlikely to get one.

@Chatterbox, we need to get the terminology right otherwise there will be much confusion!

Hypo, shorthand for hypoglycaemia, refers to unusually low blood glucose and "a" hypo refers to the state where it is sufficiently low to give physical symptoms which need urgent treatment. What you are seeing is hyperglycaemia where the blood glucose is higher than normal. Its only when it gets very high does it require urgent treatment.

Thanks all. Yes sorry for the mistake of calling it a hypo. I did mean a hyper. I can see now I definitely overdid the carbs. I haven’t had a jacket potato for ages…and won’t be having another anytime soon. I managed, by drinking lots of water and not having tea to get me down to a 7.4 before bed. Woke up with 8.8. ☹️

No problem @Chatterbox. Your meal would probably put my blood glucose up into double figures but quite by how much would depend on lots of factors with portion size and time measured after eating being two of the most significant. Mind you on another day the same meal might not have the same effect. What i am trying to say is that single observations of unexpected blood glucose levels should be noted. When the same thing is repeated and a pattern develops then you can think about whether you need to do something about it.

Glad you managed to get your BG to come down @Chatterbox

Jackets can be a bit of a challenge, because lots of the water is baked away and the spuds reduce in size/volume, so they can be a little carbier than they look

Have you got the book or app Carbs and Cals as that might help you estimate the likely carbs of what you are about to eat so you can adjust your portion size accordingly.

Have you got the book or app Carbs and Cals as that might help you estimate the likely carbs of what you are about to eat so you can adjust your portion size accordingly.
This sounds interesting, it’s something I’d find really helpful at the moment. I’ll have a look. Thanks for the tip.

It’s pretty common, even if my meal only takes me from 5 to 7, if I hover around the 7 for a while I can get tired. I find no matter how tired I am, I just need to get moving. Sometimes I feel like it’s the sudden drop that’s exhausting rather than being high. That’s only me though and other may report different

I also feel extremely tired after meals even if I take what I would feel to be a good balance of insulin for the carbs I eat. I tend to dose myself right before I eat so there is maybe a small window where the insulin hasn’t kicked in yet and maybe that’s why I get tired - but not sure! Either way I also find it helps to be active after a meal even if it’s just hoovering or popping to the shop…if I sit down at my desk or wherever I would be far too tired to concentrate and would feel exhausted. The activity helps me to feel more energised.

Thanks all for your replies. I’m JUST getting my head round what I need to do after all these years of being diagnosed. Sometimes I get tired and can’t think straight. That could also be the menopause but that’s another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back