Sudden spike in blood sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, After a week in hospital over Christmas ( I had an acute asthma episode ) I was put on oxygen and a nebulizer four times a day. Firstly I am not asthmatic? and more worryingly my blood sugars have gone haywire whatever I eat. Has anyone had any experience of this. Tonight my sugar was 19.1 as it has been for three days. I am getting a little bit scared
Going for Hba1c on Wednesday.

Hi, After a week in hospital over Christmas ( I had an acute asthma episode ) I was put on oxygen and a nebulizer four times a day. Firstly I am not asthmatic? and more worryingly my blood sugars have gone haywire whatever I eat. Has anyone had any experience of this. Tonight my sugar was 19.1 as it has been for three days. I am getting a little bit scared
Going for Hba1c on Wednesday.
Did they give you steroids as that can cause blood glucose to increase and I'm sure the hospital food was not too diabetic friendly.
Any infection can affect blood glucose. Do you know what caused your 'asthma' attack.
You may need to keep a good watch on your carb intake and make sure you are drinking plenty to try to get your blood glucose down.
As the HbA1C is a 3 month average a few days of high levels won't make too much difference.

Are you still taking medication for the asthma @snowball12 Some of those meds can cause higher blood sugar.

Did they give you steroids as that can cause blood glucose to increase and I'm sure the hospital food was not too diabetic friendly.
Any infection can affect blood glucose. Do you know what caused your 'asthma' attack.
You may need to keep a good watch on your carb intake and make sure you are drinking plenty to try to get your blood glucose down.
As the HbA1C is a 3 month average a few days of high levels won't make too much difference.
Yes I was on oral steroids for five days. You are correct about hospital food, I had flu the previous two weeks so my appetite wasn't good thank goodness. Why don't hospitals get Diabetes!!! Also they only have cows milk!!! so black tea for me and don't start me on breakfast choices lol. Hubby and son had flu too, so they couldn't visit. I haven't been in hospital for 35 years!!! I have an appt with GP about the Asthma!! Just what I need another condition to add to my list!!! Sorry to rant and thanks for your advice

Yes I was on oral steroids for five days. You are correct about hospital food, I had flu the previous two weeks so my appetite wasn't good thank goodness. Why don't hospitals get Diabetes!!! Also they only have cows milk!!! so black tea for me and don't start me on breakfast choices lol. Hubby and son had flu too, so they couldn't visit. I haven't been in hospital for 35 years!!! I have an appt with GP about the Asthma!! Just what I need another condition to add to my list!!! Sorry to rant and thanks for your advice
That is dreadful they don't have an alternative milk, hospitals really don't seem to be geared up for different dietary requirements. When my other half was in and supposed to be having a low residue diet they was disagreement as to what things were or weren't low residue.
A great uncle in the 50ies was in hospital and he was a life long vegetarian and they made him eat meat and because his body was incapable of metabolising that food he became very ill and never recovered.
Things have changed but not enough.

I agree, you wouldn't believe what they offer you. Also I couldn't make them understand I needed my glicazide before food. I think I got it twice!!!! Also even though I took my own medication they took it off me and I had to take their medication!! No wonder the NHS are short of money!!! Oops I'm ranting again lol. Have chest x-ray tomorrow to check it's clear!! Happy days lol

Thanks for replying. I don't have Asthma!! but have appt with GP this week, so watch this space

I know but that was you said they diagnosed before/in hospital so I assumed they might have provided medication for that, which might have included steroid based meds.

Just out of interest did you do any lateral flow tests when you had "Flu". The reason I ask is that I tested positive for Covid at the end of October and it was just like a prolonged cold. Interestingly I had a bout of asthma when I was more or less recovered from it. I have inhalers but haven't needed them for years but suddenly I was needing not just the brown steroid preventer inhaler but also the blue one which I have maybe only needed maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. I am pretty confident that the Covid was in some way responsible for this asthma attack even though it was after most of the symptoms had subsided.

Covid could be another reason why your BG levels are high, but my guess at this stage is that the oral steroids will be responsible as they are certainly likely to cause high BG levels, much more so than the steroid inhaler.

I know but that was you said they diagnosed before/in hospital so I assumed they might have provided medication for that, which might have included steroid based meds.
Ah I see, no medication for Asthma was prescribed

Just out of interest did you do any lateral flow tests when you had "Flu". The reason I ask is that I tested positive for Covid at the end of October and it was just like a prolonged cold. Interestingly I had a bout of asthma when I was more or less recovered from it. I have inhalers but haven't needed them for years but suddenly I was needing not just the brown steroid preventer inhaler but also the blue one which I have maybe only needed maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. I am pretty confident that the Covid was in some way responsible for this asthma attack even though it was after most of the symptoms had subsided.

Covid could be another reason why your BG levels are high, but my guess at this stage is that the oral steroids will be responsible as they are certainly likely to cause high BG levels, much more so than the steroid inhaler.
Yes I had done a lateral flow which was negative. I had covid last August, caught it visiting hubby's cousin in hospital. I saw the out of hours Dr at the hospital and he had me admitted after a throat swab confirmed Influenza A. I think it was the oral steroids too. Ah well we will see what my blood test reveals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back