Sudden Signs of Neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

themanwho85

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, on Saturday night I started having symptoms of neuropathy and it's causing me a lot of anxiety, I'm really struggling especially after making the mistake of using google to look up the prognosis... I've been trying to get support/advice from my GP but to no avail so I'm just gonna spill it all out here to try and make myself feel somewhat better!

I've been type 1 for 17 years and suddenly started getting a tingling/numbing feeling in my feet (occasionally shins), both hands but mostly up my left arm almost up to the elbow. I haven't felt any issues previously, can it really just go from 0-100 like that? I don't have any loss of sensation anywhere on both feet and no real 'pain' so to speak but it's obvious that something's going on.

Weirdly I already had an appointment to have my feet assessed which is tomorrow but I've had 4 horrible anxiety filled days of just waiting... I spent 2.5 hours on hold trying to request an earlier appointment or to even just speak to someone from the diabetes team at the surgery but no joy, 111 tried their best to get someone from the surgery to call me, but again no joy.

I haven't had an HbA1c for a good while now, a combination of lockdown, getting booted out of the GP I'd been going to all my life because I moved less than a mile away and admittedly a lack of urgency on my part to arrange for one at my new GP (2.5 hours on hold to make an appointment doesn't help when you work 9-5). I also had a brain tumour removed in 2019 which causes me to poop my proverbial pants whenever I get a certain type of 'back of the head' headache, which has taken more of my more recent focus. I have however been having retinal exams every year, and have had a letter in the past saying 'you have background retinography', but my most recent ones have come back fine.

I've mostly managed my diabetes myself, mainly because I've never had much help from anyone. However I've never been one of those people who just ignored my BG levels and drank/smoked etc, I've always tried my best to keep on target, if I test and it's high I always adjust etc, but again admittedly my BG levels haven't been great for a few months now, probably an average of about 10, plus my diet has been poor and activity sedentary.

Since Monday I have been super careful with my BG levels, pretty much nothing under 10 and averaging between 6 and 8. I have been eating better and less portion size which I'm already seeing is requiring me to inject less insulin for meals. I'm walking/exercise biking for about 30 mins everyday to try and improve circulation. Naturally there's no improvement because it's only been 4 days, but it would be reassuring to know that there might be a slither of hope for me if I continue these improvements.

Also if anyone could suggest things I should ask at my appointment tomorrow it would be hugely appreciated, I would really like to get either a flash or preferably a CGM so I can really keep an eye on my levels.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I can't give you any helpful info, as I am a newbie and pre-Type 2, but I had 'no symptoms at all' (ie, pre the routine HB1AC blood test which revealed strong pre-DM - 45) (I am 'fighting back' by going low-carb, low cal, more exercise). However, what did happen, round about the same time, was that I was getting 'prickling' in my left foot. I put it down to having taken up exercise again, and maybe, I thought, it's something to do with that renewed exercise (weights, rowing machine etc).

But it's gone on - it's not 'bad' (thankfully), but hits me routinely, foot and up to my knee. Of course, once I was DX pre-DM2, the 'ping' in my brain went and I realised it was, of course, far more explicable as neuropathy.

I guess my point is that it came on VERY quickly, and it's now 'there'. So yes, I guess, it can come on fast? (I think there is another thread on this point, or, rather, if you google it as a question, which I did (!) you get answers saying, yes, it can come on fast 'out of nowhere'.

All the very best with your own situation. I did read, again 'somewhere' (possibly on this forum???) that as you get the BG under control, the neuropathy eases.....? (no idea if so, or how much.)

The only way to get Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosed correctly is by a test by a Neuropathist. Ask for a reference at your GP appointment.

You are doing all the correct thhings if your Diacetes is the cause. There are othe causes too if you do hace PN.

Hi @themanwho85 I notice that you say:
I've mostly managed my diabetes myself, mainly because I've never had much help from anyone. However I've never been one of those people who just ignored my BG levels and drank/smoked etc, I've always tried my best to keep on target, if I test and it's high I always adjust etc, but again admittedly my BG levels haven't been great for a few months now, probably an average of about 10, plus my diet has been poor and activity sedentary.
So it could be that you haven't noticed a numbness creeping in very very slowly and insidiously. However now you have tightened up your control it may be a sign that nerves are regenerating. It happened to me when I started to have better control after diagnosis.

In Europe they prescribe the "Neuropathy cocktail" don't know why they don't here. I found it very helpful as have others here. See attached.

Attachments

Very useful (and encouraging!) article on the neuropathy cocktail - thank you. I shall bear it in mind!!

Hi @themanwho85 I notice that you say:

So it could be that you haven't noticed a numbness creeping in very very slowly and insidiously. However now you have tightened up your control it may be a sign that nerves are regenerating. It happened to me when I started to have better control after diagnosis.

In Europe they prescribe the "Neuropathy cocktail" don't know why they don't here. I found it very helpful as have others here. See attached.
Hi Patti, thanks for the link.

I didn't start tightening up my control until I noticed the issues on Saturday. But if it was due to that it could've been prior fluctuations in levels perhaps.

I had my appointment today which I may update the post with later however it's clear that now I'm on target, I shouldn't lower my average BG level too quickly as that can cause more damage. I'm now going to have to increase my BG above target on purpose to provide a more steady decline I will know my hba1c results the Monday after next which should make that easier to guage.

I've been type 1 for 17 years and suddenly started getting a tingling/numbing feeling in my feet (occasionally shins), both hands but mostly up my left arm almost up to the elbow. I haven't felt any issues previously, can it really just go from 0-100 like that? I don't have any loss of sensation anywhere on both feet and no real 'pain' so to speak but it's obvious that something's going on.
In all honesty what you describe does not sound even remotely like diabetic neuropathy,

hi i don't know if this is any help but im a t1 since 1999 and been in quite good control and i still have neuropathy, mine was assessed and i was put on a new medication that takes around 3 months to work i went from being in constant pain like some one was burning my feet and hands with boiling water to now just flaring up randomly - its one thing i was never told, even if your the most perfect saint T1 you can still go blind and get problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back