Sudden localised allergic reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have suddenly developed localised allergic reaction to the adhesive on my dexcom g6 sensor. I have been using firstly the libre system and the dexcom system for several years without any issues. The area gets infected and itchy. This is on my arms but I have no reactions on my abdomen. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• 20230810_165601.jpg
    20230810_165601.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
Specifically, I've seen people rave over Cavilon (there's a variety of forms of that) and SkinTac (I think it's commonly for making the things stick better but I think it also provides a barrier). As well as over patches (for sticking sensors more robustly) there are also under patches (again providing a barrier, using an adhesive that hopefully you're not sensitive to).

And definitely ask your DSN about it. They may be able to offer something. (I think some people have been prescribed things though I think it may vary by area. Even if there's nothing on offer they might have some samples they can give you which might help decide which things would be worth buying.)

I used to use Cavillon. I would advise trying the spray rather than the cream.
The cream is very greasy so not good for anything that needs to stick.
I understand it creates a barrier between the skin and the glue so reduces the reaction.

When I started pumping, I had SkinTac wipes for the same reason. They are more expensive and produce much more waste as they are individually wrapped wipes.

I now use Hyperfix tape underneath my pump. The cannula goes through it easily so it may be ok for a sensor.

Incidentally, I am the opposite - my arms take most things but my abdomen is far more sensitive.
Another "we are all different" moment

Thanks for the advice. I have been using Cavilon barrier cream and Mepore patches cut in half and both pieces adhered but I'm still getting the same issue on my upper arms but not on my abdomen. I've also been treating the area with steroid cream. I'll have to get an appointment with my DSN to try and find another solution. The article posted in one of the replies gives great advice so hopefully one of these can help.

If you have been using these for a while, and this has only happened recently, could it be that your current box of sensors is a duff one, with a problem with the glue? Could you ask for a replacement? If you contact them they maybe aware that others have had a similar problem.

I am another with differences in sensitivity. Arms can be a problem, abdomen fine.

My daughter spent 9 years sticking cannulas to her abdomen with no problems, and then all of a sudden developed something like this and had to stop using the area completely. Her arms worked for a while but then also became itchy, then she had to swap to legs, I think now 2 years later she is just starting to be able to use her abdomen again. She got some creams from the doctor and I think also did use barrier creams for a while. They are definitely worth a try. It’s also worth trying different sticky stuff, you may find some don’t irritate your skin so much. E.g. apply a Tegaderm and then shoot the cannula or sensor through it.

Just a quick update. After trialling several barrier patches I have found that Granuflex is the best solution. It's a skin coloured dressing with a spongelike feel to it. I haven't had any adverse reactions to the adhesive, which means that I can continue to use the dexcom g6 system. The only thing I have to do is punch a hole for the sensor to fit through because without the hole the sensor applicator wasn't disconnecting properly. Thanks for all the help.

Glad to here you got a solution that works for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back