Sudden decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have suddenly had to reduce the amount of insulin I take. Yesterday I took 14 units all day of Novarapid. And my usual 40 split dosed Levemir.
Same today.
I would normally take roughly 14 units of insulin per meal before. Can anyone think of a reason this might be. I don't think I'm pregnant but wont be able to take test for at least 3 weeks. Any other reasons???

probably the good weather we'vebeen having - warmer weather usually means greater insulin sensitivity so less insulin

I mean tonight i had spag bol, usually 12u NR with it, today only needed 6 and I went hypo with it :confused:

Ahhhh I dont think the heat has had an effect before but it might do, I'll keep a close eye on it too see =) Am at 3.9 at mo =( And I was just bout to go to bed lol typical . Cheers Sam x

It does seem very sudden Lou. I know you don't have your appointment for a few weeks, but do you have the number of the DSN so you can ring them and ask for advice? My insulin needs went down by 50% around this time last year, although it did take a couple of weeks or so. I think in my case it was most likely due to my body finally recovering from the state it was in at diagnosis which won't be the case for you as you have been diagnosed a lot longer than me.

If your levemir hasn't gone down then that is also strange. My lantus decreased more than my novorapid - I went from 20 units to 6! It might be that your levemir needs decreasing so that you would need a little more NR with meals. Might be worth seeing what happens if you have a no-carb meal like bacon and eggs to see what happens to your levels just on your basal - if they drop then it's too high. Hope you get to the bottom of it! 🙂

Hi Lou,

didn't you go for a run / jog on Friday? Have you been out again since?

the exercise could be having some effect but I wouldn't have thought it would cause such a reduction on its own.

Combine the execise with the warmer weather and that may be the cause.

As Northerner says, it may be worth a quick call to your DSN to ask for their advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back