Sudden change in Fasting Blood Glucose to do with booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poz260

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I was diagnosed with Prediabetes in May 2021. Since then I have got on top of my diet (Keto-light) exercised well (BMI back in to the green) and tested regularly. My fasting BG was dropping nicely down in to or close to "normal" each morning and most foods were leaving me at 2 hours in a "normal" range. However, something has changed just before Christmas - I am now showing 7+ every morning. All foods are spiking me far more than before. Whilst I had 1 mince pie and 1 serving of Christmas pudding, I didn't drink / eat anything too different throughout the Xmas period and exercised regularly. The only thing that changed was that I had my Booster jab for Covid in mid-December but I doubt it is related to that. As I'm fairly new to this - is this sudden change of gear usual? Can your pancreas etc just tip over the edge? Thanks in advance

Has anyone had lasting increased BG levels since their booster? My fasting BG was verging on "normal" up until Mid-December then all of a sudden it is 7+ every morning since then...nearly a month after my booster. Nothing really changed in diet and I am exercise even more than I did before Xmas. Thanks

Welcome to the forum @Poz260

I’ve moved your posts into the same thread so that you don’t have to keep tabs on two separate simultaneous conversations on the same subject 🙂

Responses to the jabs do seem to vary (both by variety of jab, and also between individuals). Some see a modest short lived bu,p in BGs, while others appear to see a bigger disruption that can take longer to settle down.

My experience of diabetes over the decades is very much that yes, it can just suddenly change, and need different management strategies. Sometimes this is the diabetes itself that is changing, and other times it can be some of the other things that affect BG levels (ambient temperature, seasons, hormones, stress, subtle changes in levels of activity).

It’s possibly a little different with T1, in that things can ebb and flow, and sometimes go back to ‘normal’, but my diabetes is usually in a state of flux.

Some people with T2 find that their diabetes progresses over time, and that additional support is needed to keep levels in check.

Has anyone had lasting increased BG levels since their booster? My fasting BG was verging on "normal" up until Mid-December then all of a sudden it is 7+ every morning since then...nearly a month after my booster. Nothing really changed in diet and I am exercise even more than I did before Xmas. Thanks
Many people posted to say they had higher blood sugars for about a week after their jabs, I doubt the vaccine side effects would last much more than a week.

If concerned perhaps talk to the diabetes nurse at your GP practice and see what can be done to help you out or reassure you.

Many thanks for the replies. I am going in to the doctors on Monday for a HbA1C and fasting test (to check my meter isn't up the spout). I suppose it is just the surprise element that overnight the trend downwards has changed rapidly to a different trend but as I learn more about this its clear that anything can happen...

I was diagnosed with Prediabetes in May 2021. Since then I have got on top of my diet (Keto-light) exercised well (BMI back in to the green) and tested regularly. My fasting BG was dropping nicely down in to or close to "normal" each morning and most foods were leaving me at 2 hours in a "normal" range. However, something has changed just before Christmas - I am now showing 7+ every morning. All foods are spiking me far more than before. Whilst I had 1 mince pie and 1 serving of Christmas pudding, I didn't drink / eat anything too different throughout the Xmas period and exercised regularly. The only thing that changed was that I had my Booster jab for Covid in mid-December but I doubt it is related to that. As I'm fairly new to this - is this sudden change of gear usual? Can your pancreas etc just tip over the edge? Thanks in advance
Hi I am not sure if there is a link or not but my story may be a little similar to yours. I was diagnosed in August 2020 with prediabetes with an Hba1c of 43. Made a few changes (but not very many) and it went back to 42 in December, 2020. I had my first vaccine with no probs or side effects and the second one the same only two weeks later I had the first symptoms of diabetes dry mouth, thirst during the night and running to the toilet. I have the tests for anti bodies so its looking like my diagnosis is type 1 rather than 2 but I have not been officially diagnosed the consultant said she simply didn't know and would have to be monitored. I couldn't say for sure it was the vaccine but the timing kinda fits but perhaps no link at all. Like you I wonder if there are others out there in the same position.

Hi I am not sure if there is a link or not but my story may be a little similar to yours. I was diagnosed in August 2020 with prediabetes with an Hba1c of 43. Made a few changes (but not very many) and it went back to 42 in December, 2020. I had my first vaccine with no probs or side effects and the second one the same only two weeks later I had the first symptoms of diabetes dry mouth, thirst during the night and running to the toilet. I have the tests for anti bodies so its looking like my diagnosis is type 1 rather than 2 but I have not been officially diagnosed the consultant said she simply didn't know and would have to be monitored. I couldn't say for sure it was the vaccine but the timing kinda fits but perhaps no link at all. Like you I wonder if there are others out there in the same position.
I don't want to speculate too much as there is enough vaccine hesitancy out there already! I have seen some anecdotal data from a couple of doctors in India who have reported up to a month of increased BG levels after vaccine but given how many millions of people who have diabetes / had a vaccine I doubt a few anecdotal reports really are particularly relevant.

I don't want to speculate too much as there is enough vaccine hesitancy out there already! I have seen some anecdotal data from a couple of doctors in India who have reported up to a month of increased BG levels after vaccine but given how many millions of people who have diabetes / had a vaccine I doubt a few anecdotal reports really are particularly relevant.
I agree on my part it is purely speculation but who knows time will tell and hopefully sugar levels will level out asap

I think it is possible, if you are Type 1 and within the honeymoon period that the vaccine which of course is designed to stimulate the immune system, might have along lasting impact on your BG levels by triggering your immune system to target a few more of your insulin producing beta cells.
Just out of curiosity, are you a typical profile for Type 2 diabetes? Ie significantly overweight or carrying weight around your tummy and lower rib area? Did you have symptoms at diagnosis and if so, did they come on suddenly? Did you lose any weight far to easily at diagnosis. These things can indicate that you might actually be Type 1 instead of Type 2 and a misdiagnosis happens all too frequently in more mature adults..... so just wondering, if the vaccine booster has really impacted your BG levels, perhaps that is another indicator that you might be a misdiagnosed Type 1.
Can I ask what your HbA1c was at diagnosis? Again if it was very high, that might be another indication of Type 1, although some Type 2s can be high it is more often slow and progressive whereas Type 1 more often tends to hit a tipping point and the balance suddenly and dramatically goes the wrong way, which can then be reversed to a large extent by following a low carb way of eating but sooner or later the balance point will move and you will tip into the red again. The booster could have mover the balance point.

I think it is possible, if you are Type 1 and within the honeymoon period that the vaccine which of course is designed to stimulate the immune system, might have along lasting impact on your BG levels by triggering your immune system to target a few more of your insulin producing beta cells.
Just out of curiosity, are you a typical profile for Type 2 diabetes? Ie significantly overweight or carrying weight around your tummy and lower rib area? Did you have symptoms at diagnosis and if so, did they come on suddenly? Did you lose any weight far to easily at diagnosis. These things can indicate that you might actually be Type 1 instead of Type 2 and a misdiagnosis happens all too frequently in more mature adults..... so just wondering, if the vaccine booster has really impacted your BG levels, perhaps that is another indicator that you might be a misdiagnosed Type 1.
Can I ask what your HbA1c was at diagnosis? Again if it was very high, that might be another indication of Type 1, although some Type 2s can be high it is more often slow and progressive whereas Type 1 more often tends to hit a tipping point and the balance suddenly and dramatically goes the wrong way, which can then be reversed to a large extent by following a low carb way of eating but sooner or later the balance point will move and you will tip into the red again. The booster could have mover the balance point.
Thanks for response...

Profile - Age 34 - when I was diagnosed Prediabetic (6.5A1C). I went to the Dr as every now and again I would have poor nights' sleep with frequent urination. Not during the day. Not every night but enough to be concerning. I'm 188cm and was 36" waist and a bit of belly fat. Weight was around 100kg. I had an HbA1C back in Oct19 and it came back fine (can't remember the exact figure).

Basically through lockdown I had sat at my laptop working without moving much. Eating fairly badly (not too many takeaways but cereal / sandwiches / breakfast bars / chocolate of an evening / pasta etc). Moved house (stressful). New Job (stressful). Young kids / not sleeping (stressful). Added it all together and with my dad / sister both with T2 (they both drink / smoke unlike me) it was fairly easy to establish pre-diabetes for the Dr.

Instantly cut out almost all carbs (Keto light). Exercised and got rid of my belly pretty quickly (but in a steady downward pattern) and by September/ October time I was down to 83-84kg (which is where I have stayed and where I was before having kids / getting a desk job). I am now running sub-20min 5km and doing 10,000 plus steps daily.

I got a Wavesense Jazz - my FBG dropped from regular 6's to regular 5's in the morning (albeit towards the upper end of 5's). I got an A1C meter and that dropped to from 6.5 in May to 5.8 in November 2021. Very happy with my progress.

Then December - all was fine, then just before Xmas my FBG started rising - and this morning topped out at 7.4. Over Xmas was pretty strict with diet and exercise. Porridge (my daily breakfast) was now spiking me at 10+ rather than 6-7. I do Joe Wicks HIIT every day. Run 3 times a week. Walk 7 days a week. Have basically eaten like a saint the last 8 months or so.

Now I had a bit of a cold (tested negative for Covid) pre Xmas (around the time of my Booster) and have another cold now (again tested negative) - I understand that can have an effect.

I have read in to LADA and unfortunately that appears to be a potential theory for me and I will be requesting the tests for that asap.

So I don't know where I sit to be honest...

Make sure you get those tests done. You story sounds very similar to mine. I also had a house move and a new job which is when things stared going wrong.

I doubt the vaccine side effects would last much more than a week.
I don't want to derail this thread as my experience is the opposite.
Since my first covid jab, my insulin sensitivity has increased - I need 15% less insulin than I did a year ago. Nothing else has changed
For a few days after my first two (AZ) jabs, I experienced an exhausting amount of hypos and was grateful to have an insulin pump to be able to switch off my insulin. This settled down after a few days but still on less insulin than I was pre-jab.
Maintaining my 15% less basal, I saw no impact with my booster (Pfizer).

So, effects can last longer than a week. But we are all different and I know I am weird.

I don't want to derail this thread as my experience is the opposite.
Since my first covid jab, my insulin sensitivity has increased - I need 15% less insulin than I did a year ago. Nothing else has changed
For a few days after my first two (AZ) jabs, I experienced an exhausting amount of hypos and was grateful to have an insulin pump to be able to switch off my insulin. This settled down after a few days but still on less insulin than I was pre-jab.
Maintaining my 15% less basal, I saw no impact with my booster (Pfizer).

So, effects can last longer than a week. But we are all different and I know I am weird.
That's encouraging to hear and yes I suppose we are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back