Substantial increase in HbAC1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC-pragmatist

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For years my HbAC1 level has hovered around 40. Until recently my last result was in October 2022 when it was 43. My most recent test was at the beginning of January this year and the HbAC1 came in at 58. Since last June I have been under a lot more stress than usual as a result of my wife having a nasty fall which resulted in compression fractures in 3 lumbar vertebrae. She's been slowly recovering since then but in the meantime a DEXA reveals a high score for osteoporosis. My question is: could this stress account for the increase from 43 to 58? We mentioned this factor to the GP who deals with diabetes at our GP surgery but she was a bit dismissive about it and showed no interest at all in why my HbAC1 had increased significantly.

Welcome tot the forum
Most definitely stress can increase blood glucose as can many other factors but that is quite an increase.
The biggest factor is possibly that because off the issues with your wife that your diet has slipped and you have been having higher carb foods for convenience and perhaps less of your usual activities.
Getting back on track with that hopefully will lead to an improvement over the next three months.
For some ideas that may be suitable for you depending on what mediation you may be taking, if just metformin it will be fine, have a look at this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back