Stupid knee injury!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, I have a second degree sprain of my lateral collateral ligament. This is the ligament that runs on the outside of the knee and is commonly damaged by a blow to the inside of the knee - which is precisely what happened to me :(

Good news is that it is not a third degree i.e. a rupture. Bad news is that it takes 5 to 8 weeks to mend and it has currently been 3 weeks for me. I can still walk short distances (yesterday's walk was a big mistake!), but with pain. Best exercise is on a wobble board, which luckily I already have from when I broke the same leg a few years ago.

Sooooo frustrating as running is my main sport! I have invested in '15 minute workouts for Dummies' and tried one of the four programmes which doesn't involve stressing my knee, so maybe I'll finally sort out my increasingly flabby upper body! 🙄😱

I hope your knee mends soon. We have a DVD called Seated Tai Chi for Arthritis. I got it for hubby as he has osteoarthritis, and because it is done sitting down (on a dining chair is best) it puts no strain on sore or achey knees and helps keep things a little bit more mobile.

Sorry to hear your injured Northener.

Have you any tips you can give me for a 10K I'm doing on Sunday? I've done it a few times before, but left entering until very late this year and have only done 3 practice runs (1x 20min, 1x 30min, and 1x 55min - which is my only full 10K)

Normally do it to raise funds for Diabetes UK, but this year doing it for the local Maternity Hospital as myself and 4 other colleagues have used their services lately.

NiVZ

Sorry to hear your injured Northener.

Have you any tips you can give me for a 10K I'm doing on Sunday? I've done it a few times before, but left entering until very late this year and have only done 3 practice runs (1x 20min, 1x 30min, and 1x 55min - which is my only full 10K)

Normally do it to raise funds for Diabetes UK, but this year doing it for the local Maternity Hospital as myself and 4 other colleagues have used their services lately.

NiVZ

Cheers 🙂 I guess the only tip I would have is not to expect too much of it if you've not been able to train much. Pace yourself, and hopefully over the last mile or two you will be feel able to pick up the pace a bit and finish in style! I've always found that it takes me around 5k to get 'warmed up' and then the next 5k felt good, so if you're reasonably happy at 5k you should be good for the remainder. Good luck (and don't twist your knee in the next few days!)

Cheers 🙂 I guess the only tip I would have is not to expect too much of it if you've not been able to train much. Pace yourself, and hopefully over the last mile or two you will be feel able to pick up the pace a bit and finish in style! I've always found that it takes me around 5k to get 'warmed up' and then the next 5k felt good, so if you're reasonably happy at 5k you should be good for the remainder. Good luck (and don't twist your knee in the next few days!)

Thanks Northerner - last time I ran it in 1hr 06 mins because I twisted my knee the week before in training. Before that I was looking like 52 mins that year :(

I'll be happy to finish in under an hour this time.

Hope your knee is better soon and your back running soon 🙂

NiVZ

Hi sorry to hear your having problems with your knee. Could you do some swimming while its healing? Even if it means holding a float between your knees to stop you from using them and just swim with your upper body?

Hope you're back running soon!

Hope you are a quick healer - how come it took so long to get a diagnosis ?

You'll just have to suffer hours infront of the TV watching Britain's got talent.

Sorry to hear that Northey , not good being laid up when your an active a person as you x

Northerner - Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I ran the 10K on Sunday in 1hr 00mins and 47 seconds which is a new personal best.

I was aiming for around an hour so pretty pleased, but just a little bit gutted I missed breaking the 60min mark by 47 seconds.

Still I've raised ?100 so far for our local maternity hospital which will be added to the rest of the money collected by my colleagues who ran it too.

Thanks for the tips - I actually did try and take it easier in the first half and had enough left for a sprint finish in the last 400m 😉

NiVZ

Glad to hear it went well Nivz! 🙂 Always annoying when you miss the mark by such a tiny amount - start sprinting at 800 metres next time! 😉

My knee is still not strong enough for me to stress it - nearly a month now and driving me barmy! It's a lot better than it was though, so at least there is some progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back