stuiped question

Status
Not open for further replies.

angela

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hey,im nearly 17 and thinking about if i should start to drive or not as ive got diabetes will they let me,and if they do.do i have to have loads of test before hand??Xx

you may find it useful taking a look at an earlier thread called driving which has some quite useful discussions regarding precautions for driving, varying opinions but it's quite interesting. There's no reason, so long as you have fairly good control regarding hypos etc, why you cannot drive. The dvla will most likely only give you a three year license which you'll then be able to keep renewing by completing some medical forms.

hey,im nearly 17 and thinking about if i should start to drive or not as ive got diabetes will they let me,and if they do.do i have to have loads of test before hand??Xx

Hi Angela, All you have to do is fill in the form for a license. Tick the boxes to say you are diabetic and DVLA will send you some forms to fill in. They will then contact your consultant and or your GP to check that is all ok.
Once all sorted a provisional license will be sent.
Once you pass your test you will have a restricted license either for 1/2/3 years depending on how good your control is.
Make sure that you keep good records of your blood tests etc just incase consultant wants to see them before saying ok to you.
Hope that helps.

nothing really to add that Sue hasn't said, but definatly go for it. I loved learning to drive and the freedom it gave me

I don't think your post was a stupid question. One of the main purposes of this board is for 'experienced' diabetics to help others.
The answers to your question were very clear. Go ahead, get a good experienced instructor (shop around) and go for it

go for it

Angela

Go for it and good luck. There are loads of diabetic drivers who are excellent drivers. If you are sensible about your control and regurarly test you will probably be a better driver than someone without diabetes.

Next time I see your name on here I hope to hear youve passed your test too..

Good luck and a happy xmas...:D

I was learning to drive and still am (almost passed a test the other day) when I was diagnosed with diabetes and two weeks after coming out of hopsital I was back learning again so course you can. Your license just needs renewing every three years and all you have to do is fill out some forms and then the dvla check to make sure your health is still alright. Just make sure u check your blood sugar before you drive each time. Other than that enjoy learning to drive! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back