Study Indicates Penicillin Allergies Not As Big As Theorized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dr. Thanai Pongdee, Mayo Clinic allergist, along with his team, tested 384 people who were supposedly allergic to penicillin. Their test showed that 94 percent of these people were, in fact, not actually allergic to penicillin.

“These patients were scheduled to undergo orthopedic, general surgery, neurosurgery—any type of surgery you can think of, “ Pongdee explains. “We probably expected a little over half of people would not be allergic based on the time frame when they were initially determined to be allergic, but it ended up being a much higher proportion than that.”

This, of course, was somewhat alarming.

He also says “We knew that the majority of people who list penicillin as an allergy actually aren’t allergic when they are reevaluated, so if you can determine they are not, you can avoid using more toxic and more expensive antibiotics.”

http://diabetesinsider.com/study-indicates-penicillin-allergies-big-theorized/36292

Interesting. I'm allergic to penicillin, and remember my Mum drilling it into me from a very young age that I must always tell doctors, dentists and nurses that. I wonder if I really am? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back