Study: Diabetes Increases Risk of Herpes Zoster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Many people do not realize that Diabetes is associated with an impaired immune system. Specifically, a study published in 2008 in the journal Infection said that Diabetes is often accompanied by impaired cell-mediated immunity. This increases the risk of infections, including the Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) that causes Herpes Zoster (2).

It is well known that the herpes zoster virus establishes a lifelong, dormant (latent) infection. Because those with Diabetes may have an impaired immune system, VZV may reactivate in infected individuals resulting in a painful Herpes Zoster outbreak (2).

http://www.watchlistnews.com/2013/0...ommends-gene-eden-vir-against-the-latent-vzv/

LOL - I had Herpes Zoster WAY before the D !

It's never been any different before or since, but TG for Zovirax. In my handbag. Permanently ....

I used to get cold sores all the time before Dx and the occasional outbreak of Zoster, but since then I've only had maybe one or two cold sores and no trouble at all with the HZ.

Last edited:
Ooops, I've had chicken pox, but not shingles and in fact, I meant Herpes Simplex, didn't I? But there again, they're all kinda related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back