Study aims to prevent Type I diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Imagine a sold-out Ohio Stadium in Columbus and then add a sold-out Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. That?s the equivalent number of Type I diabetes cases diagnosed in children and teens during the past decade.

The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that from 2001 to 2009, 168,000 Americans younger than 20 had Type I diabetes. That represents a 23 percent increase.

We are uncertain why this happened. Increasing rates of obesity are a major factor in the growing number of Type II diabetes cases, but Type I usually isn?t associated with obesity.

The National Institutes of Health, the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the CDC are collaborating to try to pinpoint answers.

The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young study, or TEDDY, is enrolling more than 7,000 newborns genetically at risk for Type I diabetes. Scientists are collecting and analyzing data on potential environmental factors over a 15-year period.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...01/study-aims-to-prevent-type-i-diabetes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back