Student USA Health Insurance on J1 visa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteScr

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My 18 year old T1 is keen on doing 'Camp America' i.e. going to USA on student visa to work in summer camps. The UK organisations (Americamp etc) who arrange this do it via a J1 visa, which requires US health insurance for the duration of their placement. Needless to say this does not covering pre-existing conditions and certainly not chronic pre-existing conditions- so they will not take my daughter unless we arrange separate insurance. I am struggling to find any health insurance for students on a J1 visa with diabetes- you can't use travel insurance, and standard health insurance policies in the USA won't cover you for anything diabetes-related (including emergency admissions) until after at least 6 months, so i suppose people must just cross their fingers for 6 months?? I wondered if anyone here had done this and/or has any tips? Thanks in advance

Thanks! I have found one company online which will cover diabetes as long as no hospitalisations, kidney or eye issues in last year 'Globelink'- obviously no idea if they are any good but better than nothing! I will report back here if DUK have any suggestions

Thanks! I have found one company online which will cover diabetes as long as no hospitalisations, kidney or eye issues in last year 'Globelink'- obviously no idea if they are any good but better than nothing! I will report back here if DUK have any suggestions
You could try
goodtogoinsurance.com who claim no quibble acceptance of existing medical conditions.
They advertise in the RSPB magazine

You could try
goodtogoinsurance.com who claim no quibble acceptance of existing medical conditions.
They advertise in the RSPB magazine
That's for travel insurance, so I don't think will be quite what's wanted for 6 months.

I'm a bit surprised whoever's organising the scheme can't help, but I guess it's just much harder (and more expensive) to do in the US.

That's for travel insurance, so I don't think will be quite what's wanted for 6 months.

I'm a bit surprised whoever's organising the scheme can't help, but I guess it's just much harder (and more expensive) to do in the US.
Yes I suppose it is rather different even though it involves travel.

My 18 year old T1 is keen on doing 'Camp America' i.e. going to USA on student visa to work in summer camps. The UK organisations (Americamp etc) who arrange this do it via a J1 visa, which requires US health insurance for the duration of their placement. Needless to say this does not covering pre-existing conditions and certainly not chronic pre-existing conditions- so they will not take my daughter unless we arrange separate insurance. I am struggling to find any health insurance for students on a J1 visa with diabetes- you can't use travel insurance, and standard health insurance policies in the USA won't cover you for anything diabetes-related (including emergency admissions) until after at least 6 months, so i suppose people must just cross their fingers for 6 months?? I wondered if anyone here had done this and/or has any tips? Thanks in advance
Hello. I am in the same situation here, but in Spain. My 19 yo T1 son is going this summer for 3 months to the US with a Visa J1. I am searching an insurance that covers preexisting conditions but I don't like what I found here. Have you find anything that covers
your demands? Thanks in advance

Hello. I am in the same situation here, but in Spain. My 19 yo T1 son is going this summer for 3 months to the US with a Visa J1. I am searching an insurance that covers preexisting conditions but I don't like what I found here. Have you find anything that covers
your demands? Thanks in advance
I did find something that looked suitable although we didn't end up buying it as plans changed.
<info@internationalstudentinsurance.com> was the email address i was corresponding with- they were offering a minimum of 3 months with $391 per month with $500 deductible ($425 with $0 deductible). Pretty expensive when you consider 3 months = over $1000 but i wasn't comfortable with the thought of risking it- we have been to A and E too many times for that and an uninsured ER visit in the States can be thousands- a friend tells me they start adding zeros when you mention diabetes.....And to confirm, this does cover pre-existing conditions for acute care

I did find something that looked suitable although we didn't end up buying it as plans changed.
<info@internationalstudentinsurance.com> was the email address i was corresponding with- they were offering a minimum of 3 months with $391 per month with $500 deductible ($425 with $0 deductible). Pretty expensive when you consider 3 months = over $1000 but i wasn't comfortable with the thought of risking it- we have been to A and E too many times for that and an uninsured ER visit in the States can be thousands- a friend tells me they start adding zeros when you mention diabetes.....

Camp America don't help- the explicit offer is that they cover health insurance - BUT- the snag is almost no J1 insurance schemes cover pre-existing conditions. So the Camp America insurance will not cover you for hospitalisations for your diabetes. You really have to search for any that do- scroll down, i did find one but it's $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back