STUDENT NURSE RESEARCH... any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie Bell

Relationship to Diabetes
Hi all, I am studying to become an adult nurse. I am currently researching the effects that vitamin c (ascorbic acid) has on the level of glucose present in a urine analysis dip stick test? Did anyone experience low levels or false reads Whilst taking vitamin c as a supplement or in dietary amounts? Did any one experience an early misdiagnosis Due to this? Any information whould be helpful. My aim is to try and bring awareness that the generic dipstick tests can be unreliable and should be replaced with more costly alternatives by practitioners for test indicators and self monitoring. Many thanks in advance. Natalie

I hate to tell you this but I doubt anyone tests their urine for sugar/glucose these days home blood sugar testing came out in the 1980's 🙂

I agree with Sue, my understanding is the dipsticks don't register the presence of glucose until levels are about 10 which makes them largely useless for anyone seeking a diagnosis or reason to pursue one. I was given them by my GP prior to dx and am fairly sure the negative results misled me but nothing to do with vitamin C levels.

Hi Natalie, I agree with the others, urine tests might be used for an initial test by a nurse or GP, but they would almost definitely follow up with further blood tests if the pee strips showed glucose, so it's not really an issue. The only good use for the dip sticks these days is for people to test whether they have been given full-sugar Coke in the pub instead of the diet coke they asked for 🙄 (dipping in the Coke, not drinking it then peeing on it! 😱 😉)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back