Struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, it’s been a little while since I have been on here. However, I’m needing some help/advice. I find myself struggling with the low moods and listless feelings of T1D atm.
Firstly, I missed my diabetes appointment earlier this month. I was very upset about this. I waited all day by the phone and the one time I left to go to the toilet the phone rang and I didn’t make it back on time. You couldn’t phone the number back and by the time I managed to get to my doctor‘s Secretary she said he couldn’t take my call.
I had some fears, anxieties and things I just needed some reassure/guidance on. So I hope you all don't mind but since my next appointment isn’t until September 2023 I figured I should try here.
The first thing I was going to ask about I seen in an earlier post. But I would like more advice on what to do. I have found Levemir to be a bit temperamental with me. I have days where I have red lumps that itch and hurt so bad, spoke to nurse and they’ve said it’s my injecting technique that needs improving. However, I have tried and it’s only on the odd occasion I have no side effects. I have only really been doing the Levemir for about a month. I had been found to have an allergic reaction to Novomix back in my teens years. Any ideas?
I have also been struggling a lot with my overall mental health when it comes to diabetes. A thing I only really experienced back in my teen years when I was just newly diagnosed. However, right now I just feel in a bit of a slump. I go through highs and lows of not just blood sugars but my mood. I know sometimes it is my blood sugar that affects this also. Any ideas on what to do about this? I try speaking to people about this in my daily life, however I feel they’re just kind of like “well it’s your thing and you have to deal with it, you’ve no choice“. I will admit I do have some dark thoughts at times.
I’ve also felt a bit emotional. My trusty lancing device of 13 years, I just used it’s last needle today and I’m moving onto the Accu-Check FastClix device. How do people find this? I’m used to clicking a bottom which releases the needle, but this is very different from that. And I’ll admit it has me freaking out a lot. I haven’t really tested my bloods today from my utter fear of using a new device. I can’t seem to handle change very well. Especially when it comes to my diabetes, and I will admit im tempted to just never test again but I know I’m being ridiculous.
I apologise. This is really just a rambling mess of my thoughts atm. But any help/thoughts/advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

I can't really help as I'm not type 1 or on insulin, but didn't want you to feel ignored so have some {{{hugs}}}.

There was a post recently from someone else having problems with lumps from Levemir, though I think those were painful rather than itchy. She ended up switching basal insulin, and hasn't had any recurrence since

Y
I can't really help as I'm not type 1 or on insulin, but didn't want you to feel ignored so have some {{{hugs}}}.

There was a post recently from someone else having problems with lumps from Levemir, though I think those were painful rather than itchy. She ended up switching basal insulin, and hasn't had any recurrence since
Aww thank you!

Yes, I seen this, I’ve just found it so odd cause like I can’t blame the needles cause I’ve used them the past 13 years I’ve had it. I haven’t changed anything really other than I am injecting more but I always ensure I switch sites and move a good bit away from the place I last injected. Just struggling to find out what my diabetes wants from me!

Can't help with the Insulin but have you a Diabetic nurse you could contact? The Accu Chek fast Click device is the best lancing device on the market in my and many others opinion.

The Accu Chek FastClix is the best lancing device there is, and that isn’t just my opinion it’s widely agreed on by others online. Do you know how to use it? Or is it more fear of using it that is making you not check your bloods?

Hi. So sorry you are feeling overwhelmed with your diabetes at the moment and plese don't apologise for being honest about that here. We understand the mental strain that using insulin puts on us and it is relentless, so it is totally understandable that we might feel overwhelmed by it from time to time.
Do be reassured that the Fast-clix is the best lancing device on the market and will almost certainly be better than your old trusty one. I haven't used it myself, but finger pricking isn't a big deal to me, however everyone here on the forum who has used it raves about it, so I am pretty confident you will also find it good.

Can I ask was your diabetes review with your GP or a consultant at the hospital? Do you have a named DSN as that is the person to contact and speak to about the problems you are experiencing if you can't get another appointment with the "doctor" for a while. My clinic has a helpline which you can ring and leave a message and someone gets back to you in a day or two. It is important to be really open with whoever you speak to about how low you are feeling and that you are having dark thoughts. As someone who has struggled with stress and depression for a lot of years I can assure you that these low times don't last forever and I have learned to just strip everything back to basics to cope until I start to feel better again and it is amazing how nothing changes except my perception of things and suddenly everything will start to feel more possible again.

It sounds to me that it may well be an allergic reaction to the Levemir which is a shame as it is a great basal insulin (in my humble opinion :D ) but no good if your body is reacting to it and as @Lucyr mentioned you are the second person recently to report a reaction. I find it very hard to believe that it is your injection technique after 13 years of injecting and managing your diabetes. It sounds like you have just been moved onto Levemir recently.... Why was that? Did they consult you about changing it? What were you using before and were you OK with that?

It sounds like you don't have Freestyle Libre sensors since you seem to be reliant on finger pricking. Have you been offered Libre? If not, then ask for it unless there is something about it which concerns you and if that is the case then perhaps we can talk you through it and reassure you. It is a great bit of kit and has revolutionized diabetes management for many of us and so much less intrusive than having to finger prick for BG levels although there are still times when you need to finger prick but much less frequently.

Anyway, please seek medical help both for your mental health and the Levemir issue and do ask about Libre. All Type 1 diabetics should now be offered it so don't let anyone tell you you don't qualify. Sopmetimes you have to be a bit pushy to get what you need, particularly in the current climate because diabetes clinics are stretched. Is there a family member or friend who can give you some support and whom you can be totally honest with? I am sure the Diabetes helpline above (top right hand corner of the page)... 0345 123 2399 would be helpful in talking through your issues and helping to support you in making a plan of action to resolve some of your difficulties, but we are all here to listen and offer whatever practical advice or empathy that we can, so do keep talking to us and please let it all spill out, because it is better out than in.

Also sending (((HUGS))) your way.

Never apologise for being stressed by diabetes! It can be exceptionally wearing. I’ve had diabetes burnout and it can really get you down. I suggest speaking to your DSN. Perhaps they can arrange another consultant appointment, but even if they can’t, I find they have a lot more time to listen, and also have very good practical knowledge to help.

The Fastclix is great. Convenient and pain-free. Using a lancet drum is less fiddly than individual lancets too. The more you use it, the quicker you’ll get used to it, and soon it’ll seem as instinctive as you old pricker 🙂

You mention dark thoughts and that’s worrying. Perhaps it’s not just the diabetes? Why not speak to your GP and explain how down you feel sometimes. There’s support out there and depression and anxiety are a lot more common than you think. xx

A little update. I used my the Accu-Check FastClix this morning, and was actually pleasantly surprised by how I didn’t feel a thing tbh. For those of you asking. I’m just the same in any aspect of change tbh. Always have, but when it comes to my diabetes I have a full blown panic and I am an avoider. However I’m glad I was able to do it, I think if I had to do it in a hypo situation with no previous use, I could have caused myself so issues!! I’m still reluctant but I‘m sure with more use it’ll be second nature to me.

Hi. So sorry you are feeling overwhelmed with your diabetes at the moment and plese don't apologise for being honest about that here. We understand the mental strain that using insulin puts on us and it is relentless, so it is totally understandable that we might feel overwhelmed by it from time to time.
Do be reassured that the Fast-clix is the best lancing device on the market and will almost certainly be better than your old trusty one. I haven't used it myself, but finger pricking isn't a big deal to me, however everyone here on the forum who has used it raves about it, so I am pretty confident you will also find it good.

Can I ask was your diabetes review with your GP or a consultant at the hospital? Do you have a named DSN as that is the person to contact and speak to about the problems you are experiencing if you can't get another appointment with the "doctor" for a while. My clinic has a helpline which you can ring and leave a message and someone gets back to you in a day or two. It is important to be really open with whoever you speak to about how low you are feeling and that you are having dark thoughts. As someone who has struggled with stress and depression for a lot of years I can assure you that these low times don't last forever and I have learned to just strip everything back to basics to cope until I start to feel better again and it is amazing how nothing changes except my perception of things and suddenly everything will start to feel more possible again.

It sounds to me that it may well be an allergic reaction to the Levemir which is a shame as it is a great basal insulin (in my humble opinion :D ) but no good if your body is reacting to it and as @Lucyr mentioned you are the second person recently to report a reaction. I find it very hard to believe that it is your injection technique after 13 years of injecting and managing your diabetes. It sounds like you have just been moved onto Levemir recently.... Why was that? Did they consult you about changing it? What were you using before and were you OK with that?

It sounds like you don't have Freestyle Libre sensors since you seem to be reliant on finger pricking. Have you been offered Libre? If not, then ask for it unless there is something about it which concerns you and if that is the case then perhaps we can talk you through it and reassure you. It is a great bit of kit and has revolutionized diabetes management for many of us and so much less intrusive than having to finger prick for BG levels although there are still times when you need to finger prick but much less frequently.

Anyway, please seek medical help both for your mental health and the Levemir issue and do ask about Libre. All Type 1 diabetics should now be offered it so don't let anyone tell you you don't qualify. Sopmetimes you have to be a bit pushy to get what you need, particularly in the current climate because diabetes clinics are stretched. Is there a family member or friend who can give you some support and whom you can be totally honest with? I am sure the Diabetes helpline above (top right hand corner of the page)... 0345 123 2399 would be helpful in talking through your issues and helping to support you in making a plan of action to resolve some of your difficulties, but we are all here to listen and offer whatever practical advice or empathy that we can, so do keep talking to us and please let it all spill out, because it is better out than in.

Also sending (((HUGS))) your way.
Thank you so much for this very thoughtful response, it is much appreciated!

I only go to the hospital about my diabetes since I was diagnosed at 13. it’s a very rare occasion I speak to my GP about it. I have never been informed of such things in my clinic unfortunately. I do have a nurse I can email though. I think my mood is just down to the fact so much has changed with my diabetes these past few months.

I hate change. However, I know it’s just something I have to do and then I feel utterly miserable to be so ungrateful when there are people in this world that can’t even afford the medication/treatments I have and all I do is stress.

I think it may be too. My nurse doesn’t think so though. I have sent pictures of the marks to them and they were saying something about me not inserting the needle deep enough. However I find myself now having these lumps with the addition of the imprint of the needle.

I was put on Levemir and Humalog as I was struggling a lot with having hypos. I was having days where 8 was having 4 a day at times and my awareness was non-existent. I was highly needle phobic (still am) but I can handle it a bit better now. I was originally on Humalin M3, and other than the hypos that just became so frequent (I think due to stress at work etc) I never had any issues with it, but it just because a treatment that didn’t work for me.

I have a Libre sensor (trail one), but it has no appeal to me whatsoever. The idea of something always attached to me just makes me feel psychically sick. The idea of putting it on, taking it off. Nah, I’d rather the 5 minutes of fear before a needle stabs me and give me an accurate reading. I wish I was braver, I wish I was able to just embrace anything diabetes and the companies that make stuff for it! However, I have seen many missed reviews for these sensors and I honestly just would rather not. I think unless it was a mandatory requirement I will probably never use it. And I see the irony, my needle phobic self would rather prick myself with needles than scan myself but honestly yes.

I just feel guilty speaking to anyone about how I feel really. As you said diabetes clinics are stretched, so why should I bother them? My friends and family all just seem like “aww well you have to”. I know I have to. However I do sometimes question why I have to when I feel utterly miserable and at my wits end with it all. I sometimes sit with a blood sugar of 2.3 and think maybe I shouldn’t treat it. I never listen to those thoughts though, they upset me and I just force something in my mouth and hope no one comes near me cause I can’t be bothered having to do the usual routine of having to correct them on the usual questions I get…””2.3 oh that means your hyper, where’s your insulin” “i don’t see why you don’t just drink Coke all day to stop that” “you really need to stop having these, there’s got to be something you can do” “oh you look awful“. My boyfriend doesn’t understand it, even when I try explain to him. During my moody hypers/hypos he says I don’t need to be that way, but I honestly feel like I can’t be any other way. My mum laughs about it all as if it’s all just a big joke. Maybe it is, I mean if I don’t laugh I’ll just cry and never stop. Jesus, I’m on a right rant atm. I just don’t know what to do. I’m aware diabetes, all forms has its misconceptions but I’m just so fed up of the whole, I know better than you the diabetic.

Huge "WELL DONE" for managing to use the Fast clix lancing device and so pleased that you found it painless, as so many other people do here. Hopefully you will become more confident and less hesitant with each use.

It really sounds like you could do with spending some time with other Type 1 diabetics so that you feel less isolated with this and perhaps witness first hand some of the benefits of the technology and everyday and normal it is becoming. I wonder if something like a DAFNE course or whatever your local equivalent is, might help you. Spending a week with other Type 1s was a massive benefit of the course for me. We all had different issues (strengths and weaknesses) so we learned from each other. I was very self conscious about injecting in public but the two young girls on my course were so matter of fact about it that I followed their lead and just got on with it wherever I was when I needed to inject, rather that go to the toilets or whatever, particularly when out socially.

As regards technology, If you were just getting diagnosed today instead of 13 years ago, Libre and maybe even an insulin pump is what you would be getting kitted out with and you yes, it would be strange and daunting, as I am sure learning to finger prick and inject is/was for all of us, without taking into account your needle phobia, but you would not know any different so would perhaps accept it more easily, but obviously you can't just wipe that 13years from your memory and start again from scratch so I can understand how scary it is to make changes. After all you have relied on this kit to keep you alive for 13 years, so you know it is tried and tested and what to expect from it.
I wonder if the nurse knows your fear of change and is assuming it is exhibiting as a rash with the Levemir and that is why she is pushing you to persevere. Do you think you could manage another change to Lantus which is what the other person on this forum who had problems with Levemir changed to and is now managing well with. Just wondering if you could suggest that to your nurse as something to try instead, if she would be more accommodating. You do have a say in which insulin you are prescribed but obviously it is no good if what you want to use is causing you to hypo all the time but nor is it good to persevere with one which is causing an allergic reaction, especially when you are already struggling with a needle phobia, so just injecting must be an ordeal without then having lumpy itchy sore wheals to contend with afterwards. My heart really does go out to you and it is a real shame that there isn't someone listening to you and fighting your corner for you or with you, rather than just expecting you to get on with it. Most of the time we all do just that and muddle along, but when we need help and support and empathy, it is important that there is someone to listen and suggest options but also allow us to feel we have some say in the matter.

One of the main things this forum has done for me is to empower me with knowledge and confidence so that I can become the expert in my diabetes and to be able to understand how my body works and how the various insulins work so that I can request things from my nurse or consultant that I believe will help me, rather than just accept whatever they say/prescribe and to ask to change if it isn't working. This is my body and I live with this day in and day out meal after meal and injection after injection and night after night. They speak to me for 10 mins twice a year. It is very difficult to convey anything much in that time. Living with diabetes is a big deal and a big responsibility, so my health care professionals need to support me with that, but you have to show them that you are ready to take on that challenge, so ask for an education course like DAFNE (or whatever your local equivalent is), learn about the different insulins and ask to try one that you think might be better for you and be able to explain why you think that.
I too hate change and the thought of changing my mobile phone is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat (currently in the process of changing my car which is a huge upheaval) but sometimes it is necessary and sometimes the new phone/car turns out to be better than the old one once I get used to it (much as I hate to admit it 🙄 ). You are a young woman and there will be lots of changes to deal with in life, taking control of the decision making with those changes will make it easier. Knowledge is power and power will give you confidence. Go for it girl, you can do it.

As regards the Libre, is it any different to wearing glasses because your eyes need support or wearing braces on your teeth, or a plaster cast on your leg if you break it. Those things are all designed to support you with a physical/mental condition. You can jazz up your Libre with a bonny sticker just like people choose interesting frames for their specs or hide it under a long sleeved shirt.... especially now we are coming into the cooler weather. Once it has been applied for a day or so, you can't feel it and I frequently forget which arm it is on unless I wear an arm band specifically to remind me so that I don't try to scrub it off in the shower when I am getting washed. On the back of your arm you don't see it yourself anyway. and these days, top level non-diabetic athletes are wearing them to optimise their glucose levels for performance so there is no stigma except in your own head. If you can overcome the anxiety with the Fast clix then I think you can overcome the Libre, but give yourself a few days to get over this hurdle before you challenge yourself to the next one.

Keep posting here on the forum. Ask questions, explain how you feel, read other peoples' threads. You are not alone in feeling like this but if you can work on overcoming your anxiety one little step at a time, you will find life becomes easier and you will gain confidence in yourself.... Just one small step at a time. If applying the Libre is too much for you to contemplate, can you make an appointment for the nurse to apply it for you. Maybe get used to the idea by sticking a sticking plaster on your arm for a few days or a week just to get used to something being there. Libre is not much different and could make your life a lot easier, especially if you have lost hypo awareness. Break it down into small steps and slowly work towards it and focus on the positives, like not having to finger prick so often and being safer because you have alarms and the sheer convenience of a couple of seconds to scan your levels regardless of what you are doing and being able to see what your levels are doing through the night. The benefits are huge! I am not trying to force you into it but just suggesting you start thinking about it in a less negative way and figure out exactly what it is about it which upsets you the most and try to rationalize that.

Hi all, an update since I was last on. I’ve gotten more adjusted to the fast clix, however an issue I’ve found is that when I go to prick my finger it’s happening in a different area than I intend. My old one I could feel the bit the needle pricks from but with this one I can’t so I have no idea where about it is just a rough guess. Much harder during shaky hypos also I feel but I’m preserving with it!

This next wee bit is a response to @rebrascora lovely response. Thank you.

I spoke with my diabetic nurse and unfortunately where I live that’s apparently not an option, I have instead got an appointment with the diabetic nurse in December to ask questions. I understand the thought, and I am really grateful. I just would have loved to talk to a diabetic that takes it more seriously and offer some advice than what I have experienced. I’m grateful these forms exist as sometimes I don’t feel the nurse truly gets and understands it all on the same level.

And not to sound dramatic but if I was diagnosed today instead of 13 years ago, I’d honestly think I’ve had a nice life and not bother with a pump or Libre the idea of them make my skin physically crawl, I’ve tried with the Libre. I did therapy for 2 years in order to do my insulin injections and even then I still get days where I try to kid myself I’m not diabetic and I don’t need the injection, but I know I do and I sit and have a cry and get through it cause I have to. Do I think I may have been able to do this with a pump? Maybe, idk. I just know I’d do anything to avoid it. I don’t know why the thought of injections and stuff get me feeling this way. I already know I’m going to have a breakdown later this week cause I’m running out of my old injection needles. My GP changed my needles without consulting my diabetic clinic or myself and only found out about it at the pharmacy. I HATE the new needles. I have used them 3 times. It’s as if they’re not sharp enough to get through my skin. I was proud of myself for trying them out though but even my partner who I get to inject my arms (I have never been able to inject them) says the same as me, he had to use quite some force to get the needle in and all 3 bruised.

My nurse was shocked I didn’t know about ketones or sick day rules. I explained no one ever spoke about it and I always just thought it would be the point of death it occurred. I know I probably should have looked it up, but it had never been a problem.

I didn’t even think about the rash stemming from my fear…another thing to add to the possibilities! However I have found that with Humalog no rash appears, but Levemir I get a rash, not all the time now though but still quite a bit and I still get very itchy on my legs. My stomach has only ever bruised and I only use Humalog there and my arms and no rashes. It’s a thing I’ll be bringing up again at the clinic however a part of me doesn’t want to cause then it will mean another change possibly.

Also this is the funny story of where I say I don’t even wear my glasses? I’m also allergic to adhesive would I be allergic to the adhesive on the Libre? I feel I may be too stubborn on this than I should be. I just can’t make myself want to do it, to try it and that frustrates me.

More on the update, and this is where I discuss some of my not so great diabetic habits I’ve gotten over the years.

I’ve been struggling a lot recently with work and diabetes. Like I know diabetes doesn’t have an off switch, but gosh I wish it did when I worked. I had my lowest reading and highest EVER reading (since diagnosis) these past 2 weeks 2.1 and 29.8 (luckily no ketones). I think these are a result of work tbh.

When I’m low at work I have 3 reactions as of recently. 1. I’ll try and convince myself I’m not hypo despite shaking and feeling like the world is going too fast, 2 I’ll acknowledge I’m actually hypo but tell myself I’m not “hypo enough” to go treat myself cause I don’t want someone to hate me, 3 I’ll contemplate the idea of not treating the hypo at all cause then maybe my colleagues would see just how much it affects me…I wouldn’t do this pretty sure they’d kill me.

I say this as when I was treating a hypo a few weeks back and was having a much more coherent hypo but just felt as if I was in slow motion my manager gave me Coke ZERO and told me to drink that to make me feel better, when I said no I need something else she started asking where my insulin was. I have a protocol I wrote myself, I have a risk assessment that has all the stuff in it with how to assist me. I just don’t know how to excuse that.

My more recent hypo I asked if I could go check my bloods to which a colleague said “oh not really I need to go home in 5 minutes”. I didn’t know how to respond so I just kinda left it? Next thing I was being dragged by the arm to get my blood monitor. I tested and was low and they were like “well what are you going to do about it, let’s get you some chocolate”. I have said countless times chocolate isn’t the best hypo treatment and with my blood at 2.1 it would not have been a great choice at all.

I’ve had enough. My diabetes has had enough by the looks of my bloods when I’m working, I’m either high or low on work days. Weekends I’m in range. I’ve spoke to my counsellor who helps me with my anxiety and I plan to contact HR tomorrow but very nervous and no idea what to say. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
When I’m low at work I have 3 reactions as of recently. 1. I’ll try and convince myself I’m not hypo despite shaking and feeling like the world is going too fast, 2 I’ll acknowledge I’m actually hypo but tell myself I’m not “hypo enough” to go treat myself cause I don’t want someone to hate me, 3 I’ll contemplate the idea of not treating the hypo at all cause then maybe my colleagues would see just how much it affects me…I wouldn’t do this pretty sure they’d kill me.

I say this as when I was treating a hypo a few weeks back and was having a much more coherent hypo but just felt as if I was in slow motion my manager gave me Coke ZERO and told me to drink that to make me feel better, when I said no I need something else she started asking where my insulin was. I have a protocol I wrote myself, I have a risk assessment that has all the stuff in it with how to assist me. I just don’t know how to excuse that.

My more recent hypo I asked if I could go check my bloods to which a colleague said “oh not really I need to go home in 5 minutes”. I didn’t know how to respond so I just kinda left it? Next thing I was being dragged by the arm to get my blood monitor. I tested and was low and they were like “well what are you going to do about it, let’s get you some chocolate”. I have said countless times chocolate isn’t the best hypo treatment and with my blood at 2.1 it would not have been a great choice at all.

I’ve had enough. My diabetes has had enough by the looks of my bloods when I’m working, I’m either high or low on work days. Weekends I’m in range. I’ve spoke to my counsellor who helps me with my anxiety and I plan to contact HR tomorrow but very nervous and no idea what to say. Wish me luck!

Yikes! Sounds like your work could do with a little more understanding of how potentially dangerous a hypo can be for you. And how inmportant it is to be able to check your levels and take time to treat low blood glucose in a timely way.

Not understanding the difference between coke and coke zero is pretty fundamental. 😱 Perhaps the number of lows you’ve had at work have misled your colleagues into thinking they aren’t much of a big deal?

Interesting that you’ve noticed how much more variable your levels are on work days - is your job fairly physical? Or can it be stressful at times? Have you tried any changes to your insulin doses on work days to avoid the work hypos? You might find that getting rid of the hypos at work reduces the number of highs too.

I can completely understand not wanting something stuck to you 24/7 - I was just the same for a long time. But it does sound like you’d find the extra information and the low alarms of a Libre or Dexcom One incredibly useful.

I can completely understand not wanting something stuck to you 24/7 - I was just the same for a long time. But it does sound like you’d find the extra information and the low alarms of a Libre or Dexcom One incredibly useful.
It really is worth considering. I think almost all people who've used Libre for a while regularly scan the wrong arm, because you really can't feel the thing most of the time.

I do fear this may be the case, today was a pretty bad day. I had two hypos. One at lunch and one at the end of the day. I didn’t have any signs for the second one, I just looked at my watch and my heart rate was 127 but I was sitting doing nothing, went and check and was 3.9 so not too bad? Did my treatment tested again about 20 minutes later was 3.5, repeated, did my blood 15 minutes this time and I was 2.6!!! Now I’m home and 16.6 so I honestly give up.

work are referring me to occupational health cause I told them I’m getting so fed up of it and ended up in tears talking about some of my darker thoughts and diabetes cause I need them to know how much it’s affecting me!

in theory the Libre and that sounds great, but it really comes down to the fact that I honestly cannot bring myself to do so and I hate myself for it, however I feel even with that I’ll still have these lows, idk. I honestly just feel like I’m a newly diagnosed diabetic these days the way my bloods are playing.
Yikes! Sounds like your work could do with a little more understanding of how potentially dangerous a hypo can be for you. And how inmportant it is to be able to check your levels and take time to treat low blood glucose in a timely way.

Not understanding the difference between coke and coke zero is pretty fundamental. 😱 Perhaps the number of lows you’ve had at work have misled your colleagues into thinking they aren’t much of a big deal?

Interesting that you’ve noticed how much more variable your levels are on work days - is your job fairly physical? Or can it be stressful at times? Have you tried any changes to your insulin doses on work days to avoid the work hypos? You might find that getting rid of the hypos at work reduces the number of highs too.

@StephB I resisted the Libre for ages and ages. But I got it some months ago and honestly it’s b****y brilliant! It’s warded off hypos for me and has given me reassurance, particularly at work because I can scan quickly and also see the arrows showing which way my blood sugar is going.

I have a needle phobia and it took me a while to psych myself up to get the first Libre attached; the second time was better; and then I didn’t really notice. The inserter makes a clunk but you don’t see anything at all and hardly feel a thing. In fact, the first couple of times I didn’t believe it had inserted because it was painless. I don’t notice the Libre on me at all. I have to pat my arms to remember which arm it’s in!

I honestly get what you’re saying but I promise you I was very anti it until I used it. Now I can’t imagine diabetes without it. I’ve had a bad time with my blood sugars this last year and the Libre has been an absolute godsend.

Don’t be hard on yourself @StephB - each of us just needs to find our own toolkit from the options available. Sensors aren’t right for everyone, and you have to be in the right frame of mind for any piece of kit.

And ack! yeah, that low…. lower…. boingggggg up to high is SO familiar and very annoying.

I suspect when it happens for me the highs are a combination of ‘rage carbs’ (overtreating because it hasn’t worked the first time) and possibly my liver ‘helping out’ very late in the game 😡

Setting Libre / sensors aside for a moment - what can you do to try to dodge some of those lows? Can you collect BG readings for a week or two to try to spot any patterns?

Reduce meal ratios? Take a snack between meals? Check / reduce your basal dose?

Small nudges away from those low BGs, just to give you a week or two off, even if you have a few more ‘double figures’ ?

Setting Libre / sensors aside for a moment - what can you do to try to dodge some of those lows? Can you collect BG readings for a week or two to try to spot any patterns?
To expand the hint a little, one of the benefits of a sensor (even if only a one-off that you use for a couple of weeks, remove and don't replace) is that it'll collect all those readings (24 hours a day) and can show the patterns. (It's certainly also possible to do it with test strips at least during the daytime (it's how we always used to do it) but the sensors are more effective and much less work. (It's possible I'm a fan of the various sensors mostly out of laziness.))

Don’t be hard on yourself @StephB - each of us just needs to find our own toolkit from the options available. Sensors aren’t right for everyone, and you have to be in the right frame of mind for any piece of kit.

And ack! yeah, that low…. lower…. boingggggg up to high is SO familiar and very annoying.

I suspect when it happens for me the highs are a combination of ‘rage carbs’ (overtreating because it hasn’t worked the first time) and possibly my liver ‘helping out’ very late in the game 😡

Reduce meal ratios? Take a snack between meals? Check / reduce your basal dose?

Small nudges away from those low BGs, just to give you a week or two off, even if you have a few more ‘double figures’ ?
I keep a food diary, I’m not the best at writing my bloods down but I always seem to get hypos lunch and afternoon. I tried reducing my morning dose but found I became too high sitting between 14-18 in the afternoon. It’s been trail and error since August really.

But seems my bloods drop more in the afternoon, I haven’t had morning hypos in a while now and haven’t had any evening. I am kept on the go a lot during work, but this varies day to day really. I cut my insulin today, had 8 this morning despite a blood reading of 16.2 but ended up hypo at lunch then at lunch I treated the hypo, had my lunch then cut my insulin down but I was feeling rubbish still from the hypo at lunch. Still feel quite rubbish and tired.

I’m going to try again tomorrow, maybe reduce my background insulin a unit or two and see if that helps any instead of increasing and decreasing the fast acting.

@StephB I resisted the Libre for ages and ages. But I got it some months ago and honestly it’s b****y brilliant! It’s warded off hypos for me and has given me reassurance, particularly at work because I can scan quickly and also see the arrows showing which way my blood sugar is going.

I have a needle phobia and it took me a while to psych myself up to get the first Libre attached; the second time was better; and then I didn’t really notice. The inserter makes a clunk but you don’t see anything at all and hardly feel a thing. In fact, the first couple of times I didn’t believe it had inserted because it was painless. I don’t notice the Libre on me at all. I have to pat my arms to remember which arm it’s in!

I honestly get what you’re saying but I promise you I was very anti it until I used it. Now I can’t imagine diabetes without it. I’ve had a bad time with my blood sugars this last year and the Libre has been an absolute godsend.
Ah! See I’m needle phobic. This year has really tested me. I’ve had to change insulin. Change monitor and now my needles have changed yet I’m still working through my other ones. So many changes and that has me on edge a little.

I want to be able to do it. You are all making this seem very simple but honestly I have no idea where to even start with it. I have a trail Libre in my cupboard I was sent but I can’t inject my arms so no idea how I’d get a sensor there. I’d want to remove my head so I can directly see what I’m doing.

I’ve just heard some mixed reviews. I honestly don’t know what I’ll do, but I know I can’t keep going the way I am.

Have you run a basal test recently? It means skipping a meal or two, but might really help you see whether your meal doses are causing the drops, or if it’s a general background slide.

My basal need changes very often - at least once a month it needs a little tweak (easier on a pump), but getting my basal ‘mostly right’ on MDI was a massive breakthrough for me and solved a lot of seeming ‘diabetes randomness’

There’s a method here which might help?
https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back