Struggling with type 2 diabetes

Edie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had type 2 for about 6 years but am still struggling with blood sugar levels. All advice is directed at losing weight. I am 77 years old, 5 feet 6 inches and weigh 9st 2lb. I take metformin morning and evening. I have a very strict low carb diet but my sugar levels are often in double figures. I am very active, walking,gardening etc and during normal times I play badminton twice a week. I am at a loss as to what else to do, I don't want to lose any more weight. Anyone else out there with similar problems.

Last edited:

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, Edie. Welcome to the Forum.

5'6" and 9st 2lb puts you in the healthy range for BMI and you seem to be doing all the right things regarding diet and exercise. How far into double figures are your BG levels?

Martin

Edie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. Last night my reading at least 2 hours after eating was 11.2. I only had a salad for my meal which didn't include anything high in carbs. It's usually above 10 and sometimes as high as 15.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Martin, thanks for the reply. Last night my reading at least 2 hours after eating was 11.2. I only had a salad for my meal which didn't include anything high in carbs. It's usually above 10 and sometimes as high as 15.
OK, I can see why you would be concerned. Do you test just before you sit down to eat, so that you can see where you were beforehand, and also on waking?

Martin

Edie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don't usually test before my meal but maybe that's a good idea. I haven't tested in the morning either as I have been feeling really ill in the mornings with headaches but will try that as well.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Edie

Your situation certainly does sound a-typical.

Have you ever had a c-Peptide test to see what your level of insulin production is? And does your GP know you are eating next to no carbs and still seeing quite elevated BG?

It makes me wonder if you may have been losing beta cells over the past 6 years to a gradual autoimmune attack called LADA, Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adulthood - a slow onset form of T1 that does get mixed up with T2, and where T2 meds can initially appear to help, but which will ultimately need insulin.

Unintended weight loss is not often a good sign, and it sounds like you need a bit more support.

Last edited:

Edie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much for your help. I will certainly talk to my GP, am having a blood test in two weeks so will see him shortly. It's very depressing to try so hard and not seem to get anywhere.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Most people going Low Carb lose weight even if they were at a 'normal' BMI before.
It's extremely rare that anyone would not reduce their Blood Glucose by going Low Carb unless they replace all of those carbs with Protein instead of a mix of protein and the natural fats it comes with: i.e. Fatty Fish, fatty cuts of meat, Nuts, Avocados, Eggs, cream, full fat dairy, Cheese etc.

So unless you are mistaken about both your carb intake and your fat intake then there is a strong possibility that you may indeed be T1.

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had type 2 for about 6 years but am still struggling with blood sugar levels. All advice is directed at losing weight. I am 77 years old, 5 feet 6 inches and weigh 9st 2lb. I take metformin morning and evening. I have a very strict low carb diet but my sugar levels are often in double figures. I am very active, walking,gardening etc and during normal times I play badminton twice a week. I am at a loss as to what else to do, I don't want to lose any more weight. Anyone else out there with similar problems.
I was diagnosed in 2018. started at 55 then was 48, 43 then 55 last October and 84 this March. GP wants me to take Metformin but my nurse said I can have 3 months to try and get it down. I have cut out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta, eat salads, avocadoes, tofu, oily fish, chicken, unsalted nuts, berries. I have lost 91bs and have been told to lose more. I am 57, 5 ft 3 and currently 11 st 6. I dont test currently as was told not to but think I should. Any advice as to a good meter and best times to test. Your figures look good compared to mine

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
OK, I can see why you would be concerned. Do you test just before you sit down to eat, so that you can see where you were beforehand, and also on waking?

Martin
Hi I need advice on a good reliable meter that is easy to use as I currently don't test but need to. When is the best time to test and what are good readings

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For T2s the target range is to be between 4 and 7 on waking and just before a meal, and below 8.5 (some sources say below 9) two hours later. The difference between your pre- and post-meal readings will tell you how that meal affected your BG. A rise of 3 or less is considered OK.

I have a GlucoRXq meter but that was given to me by my DN, although I self-fund lancets and test strips these days. Other self-funders are better placed to advise on meter choices.

Martin

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
For T2s the target range is to be between 4 and 7 on waking and just before a meal, and below 8.5 (some sources say below 9) two hours later. The difference between your pre- and post-meal readings will tell you how that meal affected your BG. A rise of 3 or less is considered OK.

I have a GlucoRXq meter but that was given to me by my DN, although I self-fund lancets and test strips these days. Other self-funders are better placed to advise on meter choices.

Martin
Thankyou. I need to get my reading of 84 down. Can I ask what your diet is generally?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@pinkjude - other Type 2s recommend either the Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee 2 as being pretty reliable, and the strips are also cheapest to self fund. Both are only available to purchase on line, not from a pharmacy.

(mine's always prescribed, being permanently on insulin as I'm Type 1)

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Most people going Low Carb lose weight even if they were at a 'normal' BMI before.
It's extremely rare that anyone would not reduce their Blood Glucose by going Low Carb unless they replace all of those carbs with Protein instead of a mix of protein and the natural fats it comes with: i.e. Fatty Fish, fatty cuts of meat, Nuts, Avocados, Eggs, cream, full fat dairy, Cheese etc.

So unless you are mistaken about both your carb intake and your fat intake then there is a strong possibility that you may indeed be T1.
Great results. I need a meter as currently don't test. Any advice?

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@pinkjude - other Type 2s recommend either the Gluco Navii or the Spirit Tee 2 as being pretty reliable, and the strips are also cheapest to self fund. Both are only available to purchase on line, not from a pharmacy.

Thankyou

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

The Gluco Navii looks easy to use and is a great price as are the strips as you say. I have been on the website and as I am not exactly sure what extras I need I will ring them Tuesday morning. Do you need or get a sharps box?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No sharps box necessary - the lancets only go into the finger such a tiny way, and rarely get any amount of blood actually on the pointy bit and if you do get a bit of blood on it by the time you've moved the bodging device away from your finger it's dried in the air anyway, so not considered clinically hazardous waste. Dunno if these lancets come with a softer plastic safety cover over the tip - if so, stick that back on before chucking it in the bin. Job done.

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
No sharps box necessary - the lancets only go into the finger such a tiny way, and rarely get any amount of blood actually on the pointy bit and if you do get a bit of blood on it by the time you've moved the bodging device away from your finger it's dried in the air anyway, so not considered clinically hazardous waste. Dunno if these lancets come with a softer plastic safety cover over the tip - if so, stick that back on before chucking it in the bin. Job done.
Thankyou thats great.